Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running downwind with lug rig

Default Re: Running downwind with lug rig

Wait, you have a mizzen too? That changes everything! (just kidding, I didn't know that option existed for Ilur) Have you tried dropping the main and just running under mizzen? With my Caledonia Yawl it is amazingly relaxing, although slower for sure, but if you are going straight to your destination it's grand.

Good tip Scott de M, I’ll remember that for when I’ve got my Waterlust launched & rigged for sailing!

00A02F5B-A609-45B0-85AB-0EBA6AA852CE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott de M View Post
    Wait, you have a mizzen too? That changes everything! (just kidding, I didn't know that option existed for Ilur) Have you tried dropping the main and just running under mizzen? With my Caledonia Yawl it is amazingly relaxing, although slower for sure, but if you are going straight to your destination it's grand.
    I haven't tried this in heavy downwind work, but I've found it's a great way to jog along slowly while eating lunch or taking photos. I think I'll give it a shot next windy day. Or how about reefing down to zero sail on the main, but letting the spars and furled sail swing out to add some drive and balance the mizzen?
    -Dave

Just a quick follow-up. Last night I went out in similar breezy conditions with my 16 y.o. son. I tried the second set of reef points for the first time, and it was great!

Much less heeling, never felt out of control. I felt confident enough in the boat's stability to hand over the helm to my kid, and he tacked and gybed as he pleased with little to no drama.

So thanks for the responses! I might have not have tried this for ages without your advice. I may see about getting a third set of reef points put in someday, and/or trying what Scott de M and Woxbox describe above. That's something else I would never have thought of trying.

Mike

Oh yeah. And the sprit-boom was rigged again. It also went very well, so... basically I'm loving my boat. Viva Nimbus!
    Last edited by Michael_Owen; 07-25-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Yep, you don't need much sail up for downwind. I spent a good portion of the last few days (on a short trip) double reefed--much less stressful that way, and probably no slower either.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Downwind I tend to shorten sail really early. A whole click earlier than when I shorten sail while going to windward.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.