Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: big cast iron pot

Default Re: big cast iron pot

The pots and recipe we use are from my FILs step father. He owned a restaurant, and the pots are from it.

The wildest part? One of my friends grew up across the street from the restaurant, and used to play with my FILs little brother! He came to tamale night once, and was amazed that the tamales tasted like he remembered.

Come winter, if I remember, I’ll do a thread.

It takes days. Long ago I stopped hanging out on “meat cooking day”, because that’s usually the day the REALLY heavy drinking happens. Handles and handles...

By golly, I moved to the wrong coast (again) - when I lived in Oxnard, a lady there made the BEST 'burrito boats' - burritos covered with chili / cheese / onions Rob, I will await the tamale thread with as much patience as I can muster . . . . Thanks for keeping this going.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    And you're all set for the "eye of newt, wing of bat" season a few months away.
    This is what has rattled between my ears the whole big read of this thread.

Ears, mmph I'm a grandad now, can make turbo dad jokes by accident..

Reminder to self, watch Fried Green Tomatoes again.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The pots and recipe we use are from my FILs step father. He owned a restaurant, and the pots are from it.

The wildest part? One of my friends grew up across the street from the restaurant, and used to play with my FILs little brother! He came to tamale night once, and was amazed that the tamales tasted like he remembered.

Come winter, if I remember, I’ll do a thread.

It takes days. Long ago I stopped hanging out on “meat cooking day”, because that’s usually the day the REALLY heavy drinking happens. Handles and handles...
    We can’t wait for winter! All I thought about all day today was your FILs step father’s tamales! I can’t take months and months of that. It’s not even Midsummer, yet!

well it's back to the drawring board. i ordered the 15 gallon with stand, with $100 shipping it was $400. then i got a hold notice, the shipping cost from missouri was recalculated to $395. so $700 total. the lady on the phone blamed "gas prices". hah!

she tried to get me to switch to a 30 gallon pot located in nevada that "might ship for less" and only be $800 or so all up...

i think they may have sold stock they didn't have, used inflated shipping cost to reduce the number of sales, push people to other products. just my suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    well this one seems like it would be stable enough if the feet are on well settled bricks or something.

Attachment 90852

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    We canít wait for winter! All I thought about all day today was your FILs step fatherís tamales! I canít take months and months of that. Itís not even Midsummer, yet!
    I notified Quad that he has been chosen to document the process of tamales this year, from A to Z.

Want to know the weirdest part about ďBopiĒ (what the kids called FILís stepdad); he has exactly the same name as the dude we got Lucy The Mastiff from.

Same first, middle, and last names...

Not what you specíd but something like this comes to mind. Tap and plug the drain hole for when you want to boil, line it for when you want a fire. I think itís just a tank head.

9970D9CE-FA6B-4DC2-9836-276035CB0A7A.jpg

I got a 18” paella pan instead, lots lighter.

How about a 36” paella pan?

This looks like a handy design as well.

FF212044-D7A5-4B7A-96F2-69E6A94AFC75.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I got a 18” paella pan instead, lots lighter.

How about a 36” paella pan?
    i have a couple of old 5 gallon canners which no longer pressurize that i can put on the camp chef two burner propane stove.

so, i'm already equipped to boil corn, steam crab, make tamales, scald chickens (very carefully), what have you.

the boil in cast iron over the fire is an aesthetic thing, harkening back to the best parties of my childhood in rural wisconsin. earl and levay had a big corn boil at their farm every summer and everybody was there. the most incredible game of full contact hide and seek ensued between trips to the fire pit for another ear of corn...

but i guess you can't go home again.

I notified Quad that he has been chosen to document the process of tamales this year, from A to Z.

Want to know the weirdest part about “Bopi” (what the kids called FIL’s stepdad); he has exactly the same name as the dude we got Lucy The Mastiff from.

Same first, middle, and last names...
    If that is the weirdest part, I'd call that lucky!

Rattling the teacups.

This is excellent news. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I got a 18Ē paella pan instead, lots lighter.

How about a 36Ē paella pan?

The kids got me one of these for my birthday this year. Thoughtful gift.

62772518-B612-419F-988B-D0796CE47174.jpg