Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: big cast iron pot

Default Re: big cast iron pot

Across the road in an outbuilding, is my neighbour's bread oven and by the side is a nice cast iron boiler set into a brick plinth for the fire. Holds about 11gal (US)
    Realy nice pot with a cast lid that has a smaller lid set in to add stuff. Might have been laundry or pig (or both..)
    Building is coming down soon, dunno what will happen.

You could look for an old bronze church bell, and put it upside down...

Of course it would be way heavier, less useful as a pot, and more expensive. But would be cool cooking in a pot that would toll a low D when the food was ready. And there'd be endless Dad jokes about dinner bells...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    The only one in stock there is the largest one. J

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    Lee, starting this thread is pure genius. The cast iron bath tub? Kohler had iteration's years ago. Enameled or not. I reckon folks were taking Saturday night baths in what you would cook corn in later. When not watering cattle.
    Some folks weld up commercial washing machine tubs.
    When I lived in Cortland, Illinois. My neighbor Dick Herman proudly pointed to such a tub shrouded in weeds in his back yard which Dick claimed he cooked sweet corn in, that the Arch Bishop of Rockford, Illinois once dined on and was delighted with.
    Had a friend Randy, years ago, that put on a big feed for friends. His way of doing sweet corn. Whole ears immersed in water unhusked, then unto a charcoal grill until the outer husk began to char. Randy's grill helpers would then peal back the husk. Drowning the the roasted, husked corn into a kettle of butter. You can figure out the rest.
    You ain't saying. Your daughters wedding is back on in the arbor?
    I would go with roasting corn, and the butter dunk. Takes a few handy men or gals to do corn proper.

that particular wedding is off, suffered in my opinion the fate of many too-long engagements. people say "it doesn't matter if you have a ceremony and a piece of paper" but i say "everything matters", how could legal marriage be the one thing that doesn't? ah well, c'est la vie

we have had several very nice gatherings under the grape arbor though. daughter said years ago she didn't mind if i posted pics of her, i should probably re-up on the paperwork. a dog she was only sitting, thank goodness. so many dogs available that can breathe properly through their nose.

B9313CFB-5CA1-4E18-9808-ABE76D97A8DA.jpg

I'm with you on the marriage thing, Lee. Those who think having a marriage ceremony doesn't matter perhaps haven't had one.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

A couple of weeks ago I went to a wedding of 2 friends - both in their mid-60s. They'd been living together for 12 years & decided it was important to take it a step further. It was a really sweet ceremony & obviously mattered very much to them.

I did get a Gibbs slap when I asked Keith if he'd gotten Nancy knocked up.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Pugly dog, just my opinion. No offence intended.
    Lee, glad your daughter gave you permission to post photos of her. She is a proper bilge sweetener.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I'm with you on the marriage thing, Lee. Those who think having a marriage ceremony doesn't matter perhaps haven't had one.
    Or performed one.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Or performed one.
    sing and dance a little soft shoe, jazz hands at the vows...

I've got a couple of wedding stories -

Don't buy any pot. Don't boil it. Grill the shucked corn directly on a grate over coals or a gas grill. You want a hot fire. Rotate the ears every 3 to 4 minutes till there's a nice surface char over most of the surface. The direct heat will caramelize the sugars resulting in an outstanding flavor. No need for adding butter or salt. Perfect eating!

Jeff

We had elotes the other night, and will tonight, too.

We do corn thiswise: the corn gets soaked, silks down, in a bowl of water for some while. Then they are grilled over direct heat over a low bed of coals until the jackets char, turning them three times to get all “four” sides.

Then we cut the plant end off, slide the jacket free, slather, cheese, chili, and eat.

We get corn from the same family we get watermelons from. I need to go eat some watermelon right now.
    Last edited by amish rob; 07-19-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    sing and dance a little soft shoe, jazz hands at the vows...

I've got a couple of wedding stories -
    I will occasionally bump into someone who attended one of the ceremonies I did. Iím not sure the folks were prepared to be charged with the care and keeping of the covenant as much as the couple...

Iíve lost a few friends over their lack of keeping of their vows.

If you will break that ultimate deal, how can you be otherwise trusted? Understanding, of course, as I do, that not everyone feels the same about the deal, and that some people DO wander with acceptance and permission.

i am about corn like bubba is about shrimp.

roasting is good, it is one texture and taste. sometimes straight up boiled in water is the way. sometimes boiled and then buttered. sometimes heavily salted. sometimes sprinkled with chili powder. sometimes cut from the cob and in a cup with cream, chili, salt, lime. sometimes when especially tender, i will eat it without cooking, while standing in the rows.

The Tajin seasoning is really good on corn and lots of other things as well.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien tambiťn" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I will occasionally bump into someone who attended one of the ceremonies I did. I’m not sure the folks were prepared to be charged with the care and keeping of the covenant as much as the couple...

I’ve lost a few friends over their lack of keeping of their vows.

If you will break that ultimate deal, how can you be otherwise trusted? Understanding, of course, as I do, that not everyone feels the same about the deal, and that some people DO wander with acceptance and permission.
    That is a thorny point, eh? It is something that folks sometimes don't appreciate, that any of our decisions about how our families come together or dissolve affect a much larger group than simply we ourselves. Society is formed from our individual participation in such networks, and is weakened when individual bonds weaken or break. Which isn't a reason to stay in an abusive situation, but should give pause, I think.

Weird that Lehman's is backordered on them.

This place has a 7-1/2 gallon one for you at $248: https://www.anniescollections.com/co...rness-survival

Another source, but $395 for the same size (and what looks to be the same thing): https://www.potjiepots.com/food-safe...auldron-pt1359
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I will occasionally bump into someone who attended one of the ceremonies I did. Iím not sure the folks were prepared to be charged with the care and keeping of the covenant as much as the couple...

Iíve lost a few friends over their lack of keeping of their vows.

The wife thinks that in order to get separated, the couple should stand in front of the same people they made their vows in front of, and state just why they should no longer be married. The crowd then gets to state yea or nay, or forever hold their peace.

Then proceed with the corn boil.

note that she said boil. there's your legal precedent to consider.

I think I need a cast iron pot now

An heirloom of your House

What about smoked? Smoked corn is a thing, yes?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

yes, continuous application of propane torch to keep it lit.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    The only one in stock there is the largest one. J
    These cast-iron pots are very common in South Africa, I'll bet most families have some version of it. I only recently learned the significance of the number of the pot (they range from 1 which is the smallest to I don't know what the biggest one is), and the rings around it.

Filling the pot with ingredients to the number of rings times the number of the pot gives you the number of adult portions you will end up with. So a number six pot filled to the second ring will feet twelve, and so forth.

Cheers
    Last edited by devout; 07-20-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    What about smoked? Smoked corn is a thing, yes?

Kevin

Yeah, but it makes your voice husky.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Yeah, but it makes your voice husky.

There’s not a kernel of truth to your statement, sir.

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

corn boiling party... nice. lemme share a technique i got from a friend for such occasions. take a glass gallon pickle jar ($5 at my stores and get the pickles out of it), fill it 2/3 with boiling water, then put a lb of butter in it. the butter will melt and float on top. then you take the corn and plunge it down and when you pull it out it's perfectly covered in butter.

It occurs to me that a big cast iron pot would be perfect for cooking tamales, which is the best way to eat corn, anyway.

And you're all set for the "eye of newt, wing of bat" season a few months away.

It occurs to me that a big cast iron pot would be perfect for cooking tamales, which is the best way to eat corn, anyway.
    *slaps forehead*

good thing i ordered the 15 gallon. whattaya think, is three hundred tamales enough?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    corn boiling party... nice. lemme share a technique i got from a friend for such occasions. take a glass gallon pickle jar ($5 at my stores and get the pickles out of it), fill it 2/3 with boiling water, then put a lb of butter in it. the butter will melt and float on top. then you take the corn and plunge it down and when you pull it out it's perfectly covered in butter.
    who says america is in decline...

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    *slaps forehead*

good thing i ordered the 15 gallon. whattaya think, is three hundred tamales enough?
    For me? Barely.

FIL informed me that we are doing a full-blown tamale day this year, even if itís just us and we deliver. This fool goes ON one during tamale day.

Last full blown tamale day we got the first batch in at 0600, and pulled the last batch out about 2200. We just sit and stand around the fire, drinking all day and cooking tamales.

Sigh...

In the absence of decent tamales, we Atlantic Canadian types have to make do with lobster. Sigh.

For me? Barely.

FIL informed me that we are doing a full-blown tamale day this year, even if it’s just us and we deliver. This fool goes ON one during tamale day.

Last full blown tamale day we got the first batch in at 0600, and pulled the last batch out about 2200. We just sit and stand around the fire, drinking all day and cooking tamales.

Sigh...

this should come with a full blown tamale recipe rob. ingredients AND technique