Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: big cast iron pot

Default big cast iron pot

in the market for a cauldron. there appears to be a shortage of cast iron in the land. was looking for 5 to 10 gallon capacity, the only stuff i find in stock is 15 gallons and up. that's a big old pot, 70+ pounds of iron.

the 15 gallon per advertisement "feeds up to 100 people". i don't even know that many people.

but i need a big pot for boiling corn over the fire for my corn party. also, scalding chickens, maybe crab, i dunno what else.

should i order the 15 gallon, go over the top for the 30 gallon, or wait for a more reasonable size to be available? (i have been watching classifieds for months, nothing used comes up at a reasonable price unless it has holes in it)

thanks in advance.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: big cast iron pot

I have an old cast iron pot, don't know just how big, I'm sure it is at least 5 gallons, possibly larger. When my father gave it to me, he told me not to leave it with water in it in the winter when it could freeze. The remains of the one where he learned that lesson are still here also.

How many really close friends does a person really need? Probably just 10 gallons' worth, I agree.

But there's lots to be said for corn boiling acquaintances...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    How many really close friends does a person really need? Probably just 10 gallons' worth, I agree.

But there's lots to be said for corn boiling acquaintances...
    who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I have an old cast iron pot, don't know just how big, I'm sure it is at least 5 gallons, possibly larger. When my father gave it to me, he told me not to leave it with water in it in the winter when it could freeze. The remains of the one where he learned that lesson are still here also.
    (smothers brothers voice): and that's a good thing to remember! thanks.

Sounds like it's time you raised the corner posts on the foundry shed...
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

yeah, if you want something done, do it yourself!

get that 70lb one, I’m notlifting it.

Have you ruled out a Stainless Steel version? Available at restaurant supply houses. Maybe even now. Maybe in the $50-100 range, I'd imagine.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

That’s what I was thinking. A big crawfish boiler.

Stainless may be OK at the ordinary corn boil, but we're talkin' LW 'Hand Tamp' Baxter, here.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Stainless may be OK at the ordinary corn boil, but we're talkin' LW 'Hand Tamp' Baxter, here.
    thank you

I am sympathetic to the notion: 'If a thing's worth doing, it's worth over-doing'...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

now we're getting somewhere.

in all seriousness, i want this over a wood fire. has to be cast iron, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    now we're getting somewhere.

in all seriousness, i want this over a wood fire. has to be cast iron, i think.
    Actually, I don't think so. I think ss works - with some caveats. Heavier gauge. No meltable handles/attachments.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

That's big. Are you really looking at a dutch oven or potjie?

Something self supporting makes more sense than having to build a superstructure to hang a big pot from.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Something self supporting makes more sense than having to build a superstructure to hang a big pot from.
    For cauldrons, I've seen simple tripods with a chain drop. For flat-bottoms, a grate supported by (a variety of stuff, cinder blocks for instance).
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

As a cook I like my pots to stay put when I have to stir things up.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

well this one seems like it would be stable enough if the feet are on well settled bricks or something.

A779ADBB-FD97-4A8B-91A8-DF50155847C3.jpg

I wonder if a wood fire would soften those legs enough to cause an issue?

Like the look of #20. But a family I know who make enormous batches of sauce from their tomato crop use a cast iron bath tub with a fire under it and a bespoke sheet metal lid in 3 or 4 sections that over lap. About 30-40 gallons of sauce at a time.

a bathtub!

that's hardcore.

Sourced from a roadside paddock, with permission and they also replaced it with a modern poly tank with an automatic filling mechanism rather than in the old bath allowing it to run constantly creating a mud hole.

No one has yet asked the most significant question : " And just how many dozen eggs could you hard-boil in such a large pot ? (All America, and a good bit of the rest of the world are awaiting the answer)

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Ebay has some, but seems most are local pickup only and haven't seen any near you. It seems that mine is worth more than I realized.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    ...i need a big pot for boiling corn over the fire for my corn party. also, scalding chickens, maybe crab, i dunno what else.

should i order the 15 gallon, go over the top for the 30 gallon, or wait for a more reasonable size to be available? (i have been watching classifieds for months, nothing used comes up at a reasonable price unless it has holes in it)
    I would go with a 30 gallon pot if the cost is within budget, and the weight not excessive. Scalding chickens takes a lot of water if you're doing a large number, but for other purposes you don't need to fill it up. And I can attest that you'll be popular with the church ladies and Ruritans (or your local equivalent) for social events, if you're so inclined.

I use my steamer for crab, lobster, corn, etc... slide 'em in the box!

Lee, starting this thread is pure genius. The cast iron bath tub? Kohler had iteration's years ago. Enameled or not. I reckon folks were taking Saturday night baths in what you would cook corn in later. When not watering cattle.
    Some folks weld up commercial washing machine tubs.
    When I lived in Cortland, Illinois. My neighbor Dick Herman proudly pointed to such a tub shrouded in weeds in his back yard which Dick claimed he cooked sweet corn in, that the Arch Bishop of Rockford, Illinois once dined on and was delighted with.
    Had a friend Randy, years ago, that put on a big feed for friends. His way of doing sweet corn. Whole ears immersed in water unhusked, then unto a charcoal grill until the outer husk began to char. Randy's grill helpers would then peal back the husk. Drowning the the roasted, husked corn into a kettle of butter. You can figure out the rest.
    You ain't saying. Your daughters wedding is back on in the arbor?
    I would go with roasting corn, and the butter dunk. Takes a few handy men or gals to do corn proper.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Got about that many, looking like those, in our museum. I don't think anyone has used cast iron for ages.

If it's over a wood fire, the height needs to be adjustable to regulate the heat, unless you have some way to control the air going to the fire.

I think a propane-powered turkey fryer would be ideal for your needs, both for pot size and ease of use.

I have a 100 quart pot that I've never used yet, heavy stainless steel with a thick aluminum sandwich on the bottom. A guy owed me for something, he was a junk dealer, I saw the pot on the back of his flatbed truck and asked him about it, he didn't even know it was there, people would just drop off stuff for him to take to salvage and recycling. He looked at it and told me, "Deal." For a while it was upside down holding up a mini-fridge until I got a dedicated cabinet for that, now it's in storage.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

The fire is on a pan you push in and out to reglate the heat (a couple of shoveld do the job) and to put more fuel on. You want coals that give of a regular heat. Maybe BBQ beads though some seem to give of a chemical smell that might effect what's cooking. It depends how permanent the installation is, the example I gave is permanent on a concrete pad an the fire is on a trolley. And yes they do have outside baths in it as well, and boil blankets when they need washing.

I've got a big stainless cauldron, you can have it but you'd need to collect.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Sail it across…………..