Thread: Older Nutshell Pram

Default Older Nutshell Pram

Good morning,
    First time poster here... I have the opportunity to pick up a 7'7" nutshell pram sailing/rowing dinghy. The boat was built around 1990, used for several years, and then stored indoors. It is made of mahogany and was used in fresh water. It has 6'6" oars and the sailing rigging.

I intend to row and sail the boat solo and with my young children in a lake. I've read about wood boats drying out. Considering this boat has been out of water for 20 years, I plan to launch it in the shallow water off a beach and put a few buckets of water in the hull and let it sit for several hours to let the wood expand. I plan to row the boat very close to shore for the few few days to make sure there are no leaks and to give the wood time to expand.

Are there any other precautious I should take before launching?

I've sailed sunfish before and rowed many boats. I'm excited to try out the nutshell finally! My understanding it that it is a fairly safe, sails slow, and is a fun dinghy to both sail and row.

Any feedback, suggestions, or stories about peoples experience with the 7'6" nutshell pram would be appreciated. Thanks.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Older Nutshell Pram

Is this an epoxy plywood boat?
    If yes, there is no pre wetting, no swelling.
    .....1990... spring chicken

As Bruce says, the Nutshell is a plywood boat. No seams and no swelling. If it leaks when you launch it then there is a problem that needs to be repaired. Otherwise you are good.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

i have one and it's a great boat..
    rowing will be fine
    but sailing the 7' nutshell might be pretty cramped with three people trying to stay out of the boom's way, i think
    unless they are verry small kids

The kid’s will have more fun if they leave you ashore. Once they learn the sailing bit.

All of the above.
    Welcome aboard, have fun!

Thank you for the replies. The kids are young and not old enough to sail alone, but the older one will be thrilled the row all by himself. When sailing I intend to take just one kid at a time. I'm picking the boat up this week, but won't drop it in the water until the beginning of August. I will let you know how it goes!

I would have preferred the larger model, but this one was available at the right time, place, and price.

Quote Originally Posted by Josolar View Post
    Thank you for the replies. The kids are young and not old enough to sail alone, but the older one will be thrilled the row all by himself. When sailing I intend to take just one kid at a time. I'm picking the boat up this week, but won't drop it in the water until the beginning of August. I will let you know how it goes!

I would have preferred the larger model, but this one was available at the right time, place, and price.
    Not for long. You will blink and next thing you know theyll be borrowing the car and sneaking boys/girls into the house and traveling around the world.

I picked up the pram today and it fit perfectly into the back of a Ford ranger. The boat looks to be in good condition it needs a good cleaning. Two questions:

1. it appears to be missing the hardware that connects the tiller to the rudder. Any suggestions on the part # or where to order this?

2. most nutshells I’ve seen have been painted. This one is a natural dark wood color (mahogany). I’m assuming it was treated with marine grade varnish. Several areas are slightly worn/faded. Is it fine to use it as is for three months and then coat it with varnish this winter? Any recommended treatments considering I don’t know how it was originally treated?

I’ll post a picture if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks!

That hardware is made by Dyer and is available from our hosts at the WoodenBoat Store.

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...0759fffd&_ss=r

I should clarify that I have the hardware which connects the rudder to the transom. The only thing Im missing how to connect the tiller to the rudder. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    That hardware is made by Dyer and is available from our hosts at the WoodenBoat Store.

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...0759fffd&_ss=r

Oh, there are two “cheek” pieces that are glued to each side of the tiller and a pin between them. Hold on, my tiller is out in the driveway, ready to go to the Maine Boatbuilders Show in the morning. I’ll go take a picture..

You can see where the cheek pieces were on your tiller. Looks like the glue failed.

A4377CEA-9E14-42E2-B4DE-723FC636BF11.jpg

04AD68C4-6E03-4E9F-B4BA-E39AB1C97A82.jpg

44E72369-D272-48A0-9778-19F33D3FFF5F.jpg

Very helpful. Thank you Steve. Have fun tomorrow!