Thread: Missing mast step/partner hole dimensions on plans

Default Missing mast step/partner hole dimensions on plans

Greetings, my Mayfly (14) build is going incredibly well, but now as I’m approaching the final stages I realised that the mast step and the mast partner have no dimension on their hole diameter/exact location. Is this on purpose, so I can adjust them to my mast dimensions? If so, how am I to adjust the mast partner to get the desired rake?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Missing mast step/partner hole dimensions on plans

I am not up to speed on this particular boat, but one usually makes rake adjustments at the step. The partner is fixed.

the answers to your questions are on the bottom right hand corner of SHEET #3 of the plans

half breadths and setback are there

some interpolation may be required if the cross sections of your mast at those points isn't to spec

some folks do alter for one reason or another(on purpose or by accident) their mast's dimensions which will alter the partner and step hole sizes

butt the setback shouldn't be affected

justa note ... sometimes dimensions are not all specified individually on blueprints and building plans

they are simply what is left once you take into consideration what has been provided

drawings can become mighty cluttered if all dimensions are indicated on every page

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Sorry for the super late reply, I had some trouble logging in.

Well... turns out I was just super dumb and hadn’t looked at the plans well enough, for some reason I thought The hole was to be made not “touching” the edge of the mast step, but at a dimension from the middle or something (if that makes sense).

Now, the only wooden part that remains to be made for my boat is the mast partner, and I have another question:
    The book mentions that “masts often have to rotate while sailing”. At another point it mentions that Mayfly’s mast is square. In mayfly’s specifications (after the plans), though, it is mentioned that the mast should be either round or octagonal.

How do you think I should build my mast? If you’ve already built a mayfly 14, how did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonikakis View Post
    The book mentions that “masts often have to rotate while sailing”. At another point it mentions that Mayfly’s mast is square. In mayfly’s specifications (after the plans), though, it is mentioned that the mast should be either round or octagonal.

How do you think I should build my mast? If you’ve already built a mayfly 14, how did you do it?
    I have seen some masts on small boats here with sprit rig that can rotate, but they are more rare than fixed masts.

You only need your boom and yard (lug rig?) to be able to move around the mast. Your mast can be suare section from top to bottom, or just at the heel and partner, then rounded above.

Thanks For the info. The boat should be able to finally go into the water within the next week (with oars, as I’ll get a sail when I get back to the city in a few weeks). All the wooden parts are pretty much ready, now I have to take care of the final painting and rigging (I know that’s no “small task”, but still)

Do you have any pics of your Mayfly 14?

I do, actually, have way too many

Here’s my favourite, we launched her yesterday!

EC635F2C-419C-4BDA-9107-CFFCF9ED3A75.jpg

Hey thanks for the pic of the Mayfly. Looks great!!