Thread: Halyard in a wooden mast?

Default Halyard in a wooden mast?

So I built a mast that's 2' too short., my stupid mistake. I am using the sail and spar plan from sea Mite, http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/SeaMite
    How I didn't realize the plans show the mast run from deck height not the bottom of the boat, I don't know. I am now building a 12' version.
    It also shows the halyard running to a block on the bow, I really don't like that and want to run it down the side of the mast but I am afraid it would have problems with both the gaff jaws and the boom jaws. I could run it down the inside the mast, just wondering how bad of an idea it is. I would run it out the side below the boom jaws to a block and a quick release cleat. The bottom filler piece would be cut at an angle with the hole at the bottom most point so water could not collect, but the top filler piece would be mostly gone. If I ran a 1/4" filler the length from the bottom filler piece to the top it would give me a 1/2" square channel which I was thinking of a 8mm halyard.
    I might be over thinking this but obviously I should of paid more attention to details last time.
    I would love to hear other's input.
    ShorelineJohn

Default Re: Halyard in a wooden mast?

Putting the halyard to a block on the bow makes it serve a dual purpose. Halyard and forestay. If you do run your halyard down the mast, you will need to rig a forestay to replace it.
    That said, the halyard will not interfere with the jaws all that much. These halyards go through cheeck blocks at the hounds and belay to cleats on the mast.
    Nick-Miller.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks for the reply, nice boat!
    The dual purpose function is one of the things I question. The article states that the halyard can be dropped slightly to increase performance, not sure if it is really working as a forestay at that point. I have also decide to run a normal forestay so I can add a little jib at some point. (just so I can play around with two sails)
    Going around the gaff jaws is really no problem but the boom jaws are big wood ones and seems like the halyard would have to go under it or get tied off above the jaws and the excess coiled up and hung out of the way. But going down the inside mast would make everything really clean. Just not seen it done on a wooden mast before.

Run the halyard through the mast

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Run the halyard through the mast
    Or put a belaying pin through the mast thwart far enough out to clear the boom jaws.

Over the centuries, lots and lots of gaffers of all sizes have been sailed with external halyards led either to a pin rail at the foot of the mast or to a cleat.

I believe that that is a fairly well-proven rigging detail.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Both my halyards run to cleats on the mast. No problems with gunter jaws or boom. Bit like Nick's.

I am assuming that the design specifies a solid mast, so in addition to the consensus that is forming to run your halyard down the outside, there is another issue to consider.

The mast partners/mast hole will be dimensioned for a solid spar. Building a hollow spar requires an increase in OD, which requires wider mast partners.

These boats are gaff rigged, and all their halyards are external. You can see the pin rail either side of the tabernacle IIRC there should be 4 pins either side, which is more than they actually need.. The halyards just come down from the top of the mast direct to the pins.
    Just an amateur bodging away..