Thread: "FREE" Tancook Whaling Schooner - CLE CL

Default "FREE" Tancook Whaling Schooner - CLE CL

Anyone looking for a "free" (haha!) project boat?

I communicated with this guy in Cleveland last evening

Boat is fg - needs an engine - has spars / sails etc

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa...347638993.html

00808_20kmW4IpgRZz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg

00D0D_cJKpyu4ipISz_0pO0CI_600x450.jpg

Default Re: "FREE" Tancook Whaling Schooner - CLE CL

If I were younger.... But there are so many questions to be asked here...like, "Who did the scaling?" and "What's the layup schedule?". But it certainly looks like it'd be a worthwhile project!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    If I were younger.... But there are so many questions to be asked here...like, "Who did the scaling?" and "What's the layup schedule?". But it certainly looks like it'd be a worthwhile project!
    I believe both Bolger and Peter Van Dine drew small Tancook Whalers. I don't know if this is based on either of their plans, but it might be worth investigating for the right party.

Bolger's 16' version was called Yarrow and was a sloop rig. Nicely proportioned imo: https://boatsilike.com/sailboats/bolger-yarrow/
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Bolger's 16' version was called Yarrow and was a sloop rig. Nicely proportioned imo
    So it is. Van Dine's is 25'6". Thanks for prompting me to check. It's in "Boat Design Quarterly" No. 22. Also, apparently, in Roger Taylor's Fourth Book of Good Boats. I gave the series away a while back, and can't reference the design there.

Edit: It turns out Bolger drew (at least) one more Tancook Whaler influenced design. There was a 20-footer, also a sloop like Yarrow. I thought I'd read about it and there is was in "Boat Design Quarterly" No. 33.
    Last edited by Wiley Baggins; 07-08-2021 at 11:39 PM.

If the hull and deck are sound and well proportioned, it's a real find. Even after paying to install an engine it would still be a bargain.

A Tancook Whaler is a tender boat at the best of times. If this one is a 'reduction' of a larger hull and the beam (initial stability) has not been carefully considered, it could be overly tender and not capable of standing up to her rig in anything but light airs. The hull looks lovely, and it would be a shame if its execution allowed an Achille's heel to be molded in. I would suggest that any potential buyer look into the hull parameters carefully before purchase.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It is a lovely boat….for someone who knows what they are doing. A recent retiree with a shop and time on their hands could have a really nice boat with her.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'