Thread: Anyone know what this is for?

Default Anyone know what this is for?

The mast step of Ranger on display at the Maine Maritime Museum has a lid with a cheek block attached. I can't imagine what this is used for? Anyone know?

Default Re: Anyone know what this is for?

To me it just looks like a block lying there.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

yea, what cheek block ?
    Question is, why are those boards not cut for the spar? Is this just a stump to represent a spar?Is it a mast or sampson post?

Looks like a replacement mast that was mounted where the previous was stepped onto the wedge shaped bits with that round metal bit as an insert. If the mast wasn't there, the wedge bits would all fit down snug . , but why? and no previous fixing holes. The false floor stops the mast bearing directly on the keel, spreads the load a little but in a sub 25', 8 metre at a a guess again ,Why?

Or its a valve operated gronicle trap

No idea about the block, but it's interesting how the starboard side is restored to what it would have looked like new and the port side left in relic condition. Starboard cockpit trim has been repaired and starboard ceiling planks painted. Port side left alone.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I think that somebody used an old cheek block as a grab handle for that wedge shaped cover board. No other function.

Jeff

I wish I hadn't seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    I wish I hadn't seen this.
    Why?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I guess, in a word, museums. Can't keep track of how many mysteries of that sort of come across in museums and there's, of course, nobody there to explain anything, and typically you'd have to go through some crazy chain-of-command to even find the person responsible for sticking the mast there in the first place--possibly a volunteer. I guess the short answer is, probably nobody knows what that cheek block is there for, or why the wedge-shaped pieces aren't cut out for the mast, and given that it's a photo, there's no way to take a good look at the mast step, nor is there probably any way to get in the boat and do it, either, in person. I find that most museum inspire a flood of questions and generally you're alone in an echoing barn staring at a weird cleat or a crazy cheek block... Maybe it's just me. My attitude is that museums are there to document stuff and way too often, the stuff is totally unsupported by any ancillary material. "Here's a thing! Enjoy!" (yeah, frustrated wannabe curator here)

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Why?
    I guess, in a word, museums. Can't keep track of how many mysteries of that sort of come across in museums and there's, of course, nobody there to explain anything, and typically you'd have to go through some crazy chain-of-command to even find the person responsible for sticking the mast there in the first place--possibly a volunteer. I guess the short answer is, probably nobody knows what that cheek block is there for, or why the wedge-shaped pieces aren't cut out for the mast, and given that it's a photo, there's no way to take a good look at the mast step, nor is there probably any way to get in the boat and do it, either, in person. I find that most museum inspire a flood of questions and generally you're alone in an echoing barn staring at a weird cleat or a crazy cheek block... Maybe it's just me. My attitude is that museums are there to document stuff and way too often, the stuff is totally unsupported by any ancillary material. "Here's a thing! Enjoy!" (yes, I know, frustrated wannabe curator here and yes I know museums are underfunded etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    I guess, in a word, museums. Can't keep track of how many mysteries of that sort of come across in museums and there's, of course, nobody there to explain anything, and typically you'd have to go through some crazy chain-of-command to even find the person responsible for sticking the mast there in the first place--possibly a volunteer. I guess the short answer is, probably nobody knows what that cheek block is there for, or why the wedge-shaped pieces aren't cut out for the mast, and given that it's a photo, there's no way to take a good look at the mast step, nor is there probably any way to get in the boat and do it, either, in person. I find that most museum inspire a flood of questions and generally you're alone in an echoing barn staring at a weird cleat or a crazy cheek block... Maybe it's just me. My attitude is that museums are there to document stuff and way too often, the stuff is totally unsupported by any ancillary material. "Here's a thing! Enjoy!" (yes, I know, frustrated wannabe curator here and yes I know museums are underfunded etc etc)
    Bravo!

The Cutty Sark had the hatch wedges knocked in the wrong way round before the fire. Now the galley has been turned into a cottage kitchen. Grrr!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT