Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Ilur in Vert Mont!

Default Another Ilur in Vert Mont!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I hesitated in posting another Ilur project. There are some benefits since it'll provide the motivation, and, more importantly, the vast knowledge base on the forum.

It's a Clint Chase kit, with the widen modification for sleeping accommodation. Nothing exciting at this point. Just gluing floor cleats, stem laminates, planing bevels on transom, and centerboard case.

I'll have images once the preliminaries are done.

-- Remi

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Default Re: Another Ilur in Vert Mont!

Quote Originally Posted by Remi View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... I hesitated in posting another Ilur project. There are some benefits since it'll provide the motivation, and, more importantly, the vast knowledge base on the forum.

It's a Clint Chase kit, with the widen modification for sleeping accommodation. Nothing exciting at this point. Just gluing floor cleats, stem laminates, planing bevels on transom, and centerboard case.

I'll have images once the preliminaries are done.

-- Remi

All Ilur builds should be threads.

Welcome to the forum are Remi! It’s great to see another Ilur being built. Maybe there should be an Ilur club?

I'm curious about what the "widen modification" entails. I love the idea of sleeping aboard, like Roger Barnes in his Iur. It looked to me as though the cnc kits chewed up some of the sleeping space with the side seat frames/bulkheads. I'll be watching for sure to see how this modded kit differs from others!

Uploaded images to my Flickr account. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmR3q62D They are some of the framework elements. My first major layup is forthcoming with the inner stem laminates!!

-- Remi
    Last edited by Remi; 07-05-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Good to see another one built. It has to be the most popular boat to build on this forum.
    I've sailed in John Hartmann's Ilur and was very impressed. Avery big small boat.
    I'm down a bit south of Rutland. You anywhere nearby?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi Rich, I'm just a wee east of you on US-4 in Quechee. Just relocate from the great plains of KS, now closer to the coast of ME!!

Gotcha! Thanks so much for posting the link about the mod. Liking forward to watching this come together.

Jeff

Good luck with the build & great to see another Vermonter here. Speaking of that, we are way overdue for another VT WBF get-together. Maybe this fall?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Good morning Garret, thank you and good to meet another VTer. I'm unaware of any VT WBF activities or tradition, but am willing to be involved. Please keep me posted.

There are at least 6-8 WBF members from VT - maybe more. A few years ago (3-4?) we had a get-together in Montpelier (reasonably central location for the folks who came) & had a great time.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    Welcome to the forum are Remi! It’s great to see another Ilur being built. Maybe there should be an Ilur club?
    Thanks David, I'm referencing my construction on your beautiful Ilur. Very pleased with the proliferation of Vivier's boats in the US!! Keep up the great work!

My outer stem suffered some cracks on the outermost layer and I've managed to apply clamps over the fissures. I'm thinking that it's not a structural but an aesthetic issue. That's my newbie opinion but I'm soliciting for seasoned builders' opinions.

The inside of my CB case has a layer of glass and an additional epoxy coating of graphite. It's not as dark as others, perhaps I didn't quite achieve the 10% graphite ratio. Should I apply another coat?

Just uploaded a few images of my work on Flickr...

The crack on the outermost layer of the false stem is a non-issue. It will be removed when the stem is trimmed.

I'll apply another layer of graphite epoxy to the inside CB case before closing it.

The mast step to inner stem interface does not fit flush... if following the plan drawing. I'm waiting for Mr. Vivier's response.

pxl_20210712_212313805_51307475996_o.jpg

Remi, I am getting your PMs. I hope you are being my replies. I’m very confident that the mast step is fine with the cleats 1/4” shy on the sides. Access to the hull at that spot is difficult as it is. You can always run a fillet along the edge of the cleat and the underside of he mast step when you epoxy on the mast step. Also, the mast sets just around the cut out in the mast step and there is no weight bearing at the outer edge.

I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but I believe Vivier's plans are in metric, which can easily confuse us 'Muricans. Was the mast step built to a pattern or off the plans?

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    Remi, I am getting your PMs. I hope you are being my replies. I’m very confident that the mast step is fine with the cleats 1/4” shy on the sides. Access to the hull at that spot is difficult as it is. You can always run a fillet along the edge of the cleat and the underside of he mast step when you epoxy on the mast step. Also, the mast sets just around the cut out in the mast step and there is no weight bearing at the outer edge.
    David -- Good to know you're receiving my PMs, I'm just not seeing the sent messages in the folder. Yes, thanks for the feedback and I'll secure the mast step with the cleats snug against the stem.

Beveling the stem is next, then to work on the planks! Can't wait to assemble the framework...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but I believe Vivier's plans are in metric, which can easily confuse us 'Muricans. Was the mast step built to a pattern or off the plans?
    Rich -- yes, the plans are metric and the confusion is not measurement but drawing of the mast step fitting to the stem is ambiguous for first time builder, like myself.

BTW, what's the recommendation for fasteners material for use on boats? It was suggested that I strengthen the mast step mortise with glue and screw.

Have you decided on your next boat yet?

Silicone bronze is the only fastener material to use on a boat nowadays.
    As for glue, epoxy is all I use except when strip planking a boat that is covered inside and out with fiberglass, then I use TitebondIII.
    As for the next boat, I'm thinking a skin on frame row boat only because I've never built using that method. I'll give the idea a year or two to percolate.

Nice to see another Ilur, Remi.

Can we tempt you with a sloop or will it be the yawl you all love in the north east?

I'm keen to see Vivier's compartment mods in practice.
    It seemed so obvious once I saw the plans. Too late for mine but given the messing about I did with fitting the false side floors at the wrong point in the build I might as well have sealed them up.

The good folk here put me straight many times so if in doubt, ask. I'm waiting for the day the bits of the build I didn't seek advice on come back to haunt me later.

I built my mast-step twice. I can't remember what the problem was, but I would want a better fit onto the stem if it were me. I also made a weep-hole ( cut a channel from hole to aft in bottom of step) which I think is in the plans. My old boat didn't have one, and the foot of the mast got a bit mushy over time. If you're dry-sailing, maybe not a problem.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm thrilled to have finally start this project. Gotta say that Clint has done a terrific job with his kit, particularly the puzzle joints to scarf the planks! I just clamped down 2 sets of planks and they're a breeze. I've used peel ply over the fiberglass reinforcement. Can't wait to check out the work tomorrow.

Do you remember trimming the excess mast step lateral to the cleats? I hear it's very crowded down there.

Just a word of caution with the plank scarfs. I remember John Hartmann having a problem with them, although they were a different type of scarf back then.
    If the scarfs aren't perfectly aligned, your plank is going to have either too little or too much curve. With a kit boat, you have just the material supplied, no extra ply to make a new plank. John was able to heat the epoxy joints with a heat gun, separate them and re-glue in the proper alignment.
    Hopefully, with this new type of puzzle scarf, that problem has been lessened.

Just a word of caution with the plank scarfs. I remember John Hartmann having a problem with them, although they were a different type of scarf back then.
    If the scarfs aren't perfectly aligned, your plank is going to have either too little or too much curve. With a kit boat, you have just the material supplied, no extra ply to make a new plank. John was able to heat the epoxy joints with a heat gun, separate them and re-glue in the proper alignment.
    Hopefully, with this new type of puzzle scarf, that problem has been lessened.
    Thanks Rich! The puzzle joint is very snug, and if not forced, will line up perfectly. I was very careful with the first two sets of strakes, and they went together easily. I'm joining 2 sets per day and will be ready to apply epoxy coats x2 to all internal surfaces by this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    Nice to see another Ilur, Remi.

Can we tempt you with a sloop or will it be the yawl you all love in the north east?

I'm keen to see Vivier's compartment mods in practice.
    It seemed so obvious once I saw the plans. Too late for mine but given the messing about I did with fitting the false side floors at the wrong point in the build I might as well have sealed them up.

The good folk here put me straight many times so if in doubt, ask. I'm waiting for the day the bits of the build I didn't seek advice on come back to haunt me later.
    Hello Wayne, sorry to have missed your comment. I've opted for the lug-yawl rig and follow the crowd. The widen berth should be useful, but I hope it's not going to affect the rowing.

Rich, that was before I designed and have since executed the worlds most advanced, engineered, CNC scarf joint ever known, the Wavy NC Scarf, now a trademark of Chase SMall Craft kits. That said, there could be a little play still and if that happens a plan is supplied anyway where the curvature of the plank can be check with a simple measurement.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Rich, that was before I designed and have since executed the worlds most advanced, engineered, CNC scarf joint ever known, the Wavy NC Scarf, now a trademark of Chase SMall Craft kits. That said, there could be a little play still and if that happens a plan is supplied anyway where the curvature of the plank can be check with a simple measurement.
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    There are at least 6-8 WBF members from VT - maybe more. A few years ago (3-4?) we had a get-together in Montpelier (reasonably central location for the folks who came) & had a great time.
    That was at the Hotel in Montpelier, great food, good company. We should do it again. BTW, anyone else going to Mystic for the show?

Hey Remi - I live in Montpelier and sail on Lake Champlain and in Maine with John as often as schedules allow. I can attest that Waxwing's lug yawl is a very handy rig with great performance. Great boat!

Rich, are you familiar with the Cape Falcon website? Initially strictly for SOF kayaks, Brian Schulz has in recent years designed a number of SOF canoes including rowing and sailing options. His video building series is worth every penny. I recently built a West Greenland kayak according to his plans and his method. Highly recommended even if you end up with a different design.

Clint, even before your superb scarf joint refinement, Vivier had already greatly improved the design of the scarf joints which came with my kit (back in 2016). I did not encounter the little wiggle room that had caused John Hartmann the issue he reported on his thread.

Welcome to the growing fleet of Ilurs, Remi!

Good morning y'all!

I'm about halfway done with the strakes and can attest that the pairs match perfectly, and the puzzle joints were very tight when glued together. Of course, I may have been lucky and all my mistakes were in alignment.

Not taking photos of the daily strake glue-ups. Just planning the next prep phase of epoxy coating the inner strakes and bulkheads. Trudging along...

Quote Originally Posted by cmosheh View Post
    Clint, even before your superb scarf joint refinement, Vivier had already greatly improved the design of the scarf joints which came with my kit (back in 2016). I did not encounter the little wiggle room that had caused John Hartmann the issue he reported on his thread.
    John had finger joints and the file had way too much tolerance drawn into the geometry. I converted all the planks to the NC scarf not long after John's kit. They are based on FV's NC scarf with some differences in geometry of the scarf edge (mine is wavy) and the blind dovetail joint itself. They are so fussy to cut that Vivier has abandoned their use but I have kept them as they are so nice when they are right!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats