Thread: What oil or grease goes in this oil cup?

Default What oil or grease goes in this oil cup?

Previous owner of this stern gear gave me a little tub of what looks like Lithium grease gone liquid . Given some of the set ups used elsewhere, I am dubious if it is proper stuff for it. The stern tube through the deadwood is plain brass tube threaded ether end with what looks like a hard rubber material machined in near either end, which the driveshaft pushes through easily.
    This is the set up. I was thinking that white grease went in the oiler?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: What oil or grease goes in this oil cup?

I use Morris K99 water resistant grease. I also bought a remote greaser after hiring a narrowboat on the canals and seeing how they did it. Grease can be obtained from https://www.morrislubricantsonline.c...nt-grease.html and if you want to investigate a remote greaser (much easier and only needs refilling at long intervals) go to https://www.asap-supplies.com/drivet...-greasers-cups.

Grease fittings on stuffing boxes (packing glands) seems to be a UK thing, haven't seen it on other boats in Canada but my shaft and fittings are originally from the UK. The grease doesn't do much while running, but when you stop a turn or two will control the leaking. My bronze shaft is 40+ years old so there is some wear and the grease earns its keep.

Jamie

It shouldn't be a brass tube in the deadwood,but it may look like it.This might be an answer https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353409166845 .

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    It shouldn't be a brass tube in the deadwood,but it may look like it.This might be an answer https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353409166845 .
    Yeah bronze probably. I have the grease now..........thanks guys.

Yes, more of a UK and European thing. I should think any heavy wheel bearing or waterpump grease should work.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I should think any heavy wheel bearing or waterpump grease should work.

Sabb used a similar setup with a grease cup on the stuffing box and a separate greaser for the adjustable pitch prop. The packing gland has the usual waxed flax rings to keep the water out. The greaser kept the shaft tube filled with grease, although there was no contact between tube and shaft. I always used marine wheel bearing grease, the same stuff used for boat trailer bearings, and never had a problem.

It should be a simple matter to run a length of copper tubing from the fitting on the bearing up to a convenient location higher up, like in a cockpit locker, and then attach the grease cup to the end of the copper tubing. This permits a quick tightening turn whenever one wishes (like after shutting down the engine, to stop a bearing drip) without having to go head-down into the deepest part of the bilge to reach the cup when it's on the bearing casting.

I might be inclined to use a grease that is "food grade". Years ago one of my charges was the ice plant for the local harbor/fleet. Which is where I was first introduced to such a thing. Lubriplate has several varieties one of which should be ideal (the cheapest one)