Thread: Scorpion fast refit

Default Scorpion fast refit

Hi folks - nice to be back. There have been too many plastic boats in my life for a while. That has changed now with two wooden cadets for my kids and the subject of this post, a Scorpion dinghy. This is a loaner that we have for the UK Scorpion Nationals in August, so we are already short on time! The plan is to strip and repaint the hull, strip and revarnish the decks and tanks, and once dried out to remove as little varnish from the cockpit as we can and refinish. There are a few areas of concern that I will tackle as we go but we hope to give her the love that she needs and bring her back to life in quick order.

Most of this I think I can handle, especially as this is for the two girls who I hope will be doing the heavy lifting. There's one area of concern though, and it's beyond my experience so I am hoping one of you can comment.

The side tanks appear to be pinned and glued. The varnish around the pin heads is quiet clearly cracked in most cases. This suggest to me that there is some movement. So I think my questions are;

1) Does this look like movement in the join?
    2) If it is, then what is the best (fast) remedy?

Thanks for any advice.

Tim

IMG_0593.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Scorpion fast refit

I don't think the joint has moved. I think the fastenings are oxidizing, or the plugs have soaked up water, or likely both. You might pull one to see how it looks.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

I agree with johngsandusky – it doesn't look like the joints have moved at all. Most likely the fastenings are oxidizing a bit and dampness is getting in, causing the varnish to lift. Maybe the stopping over the heads (if there is any) has become powdery and porous.

I think I would scrape the areas around the fastenings to bare wood, re-stop over the heads if there is stopping – or make sure they are driven flush or just below the surface – and re-varnish several coats.

If you can draw a fastening to see what they are, what condition they are in and what they are made of, that would be good.

If those are closed tanks, it could also be condensation on the inside working its way through – are they ventilated in any way? Can you see if there is dampness inside them?

If the fastenings are suspect, you could drive some additional screws, assuming you can ascertain what the cleats behind are like in terms of dimensions.

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Hi George - sorry I missed the notification of your comment. I have sanded back and they all look good so I've gone over with epoxy and varnish. The tanks have hatches at both ends and are bone dry, but it's an old boat so who knows if it has got damp at some point. I'll double up on fastenings if required in the future. Many thanks.