Thread: Cruise of the Ketch Julia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Cruise of the Ketch Julia

When it was time to cross to Tahiti, we headed out of the flat calm of the deeply protected anchorage and were surprised that it was blowing quite hard directly on the nose. Time for some deep reefs. We double reefed the main, took a hefty roll of the jib, and reefed the mizzen as well. Then we put the rail in and bashed into it.

Anchoring has recently been really restricted in Tahiti, and all the rest of the Society islands as well. The locals are fed up with cruisers I guess, and are going out of their way to make it difficult. Covid did not help, stacking boats up in the Societies as the route westward was closed. It is very sad, but is part of the reason we spent so much time in the Marquesas where we felt very welcome. We got a spot in the marina, to avoid the anchoring confusion and crowds. It was our first marina, and our first real shower, since Mazatlan.

The marina was dead calm, and sweltering hot. We were not used to it after life in the trade winds, swinging on the hook! We were happy to be greeted by the crew of the Fife yawl Latifa, the only other wooden boat in town. I believe she was the covergirl of our favorite magazine very recently, I only know because they had a copy on board. I hadn't seen a WBM since Seattle. Latifa recently arrived from the Carribean and we got to poke around on deck a bit. A very nice and well maintained big boat.

Last edited by J.Madison; 07-09-2022 at 02:02 AM.