Thread: New river cruise out of S.F. Bay will tour Northern California for 8 days

Default New river cruise out of S.F. Bay will tour Northern California for 8 days

New river cruise out of S.F. Bay will tour Northern California for 8 days, with prices as high as $12,000

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...r-17360016.php

“Many have driven there, but not many can say they have actually cruised through wine country”

This puts our Delta cruises in a new light. Maybe we should offer to take paying passengers along? "Why be packed in with 189 other people, cruise with us on a custom built wooden boat and enjoy your own private berth in the bilge."

Default Re: New river cruise out of S.F. Bay will tour Northern California for 8 days

Watch out, Rick - with housing prices what they are, you might find that private berth in the bilge booked every night. Friends running Air BnBs tell me that they just can't raise prices fast or high enough.
    That being said, $12 k is astonishing. I'm very curious to see how they do.

- James

Default Re: New river cruise out of S.F. Bay will tour Northern California for 8 days

I hit a paywall, but if it's going up the Sacramento I hope it's very shoal draft!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I hit a paywall, but if it's going up the Sacramento I hope it's very shoal draft!
    Sorry, I do not pay for the Chronicle but somehow no wall for me. This is the article:

Jessica Flores
    Aug. 8, 2022Updated: Aug. 9, 2022 2:55 p.m.

The cruise ship American Jazz will offer eight-day luxury tours from San Francisco to Stockton, Sacramento, Napa and back starting in February 2023.
    American Cruise Lines
    A new cruise will soon pamper passengers on a unique river journey from San Francisco to Stockton, Sacramento, Napa and back — for a hefty sum.
    With prices starting at $6,095, passengers will travel round trip from San Francisco to California’s capital city through the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta on an eight-day voyage dubbed the “San Francisco Bay Cruise,” officials from American Cruise Lines said in a news release.
    The most luxurious accommodation — a grand suite with a private balcony — costs $11,680 per person.
    It’s the company’s first-ever cruise in California, officials said, with an itinerary along the San Joaquin, Napa and Sacramento rivers.
    “Exploring this beautiful region of Northern California by riverboat will provide a new opportunity for our guests to discover the Bay Area and the Napa Valley in an exceptional way,” said Charles Robertson, president and CEO of American Cruise Lines, in the news release.
    “Many have driven there, but not many can say they have actually cruised through Wine Country,” he said.
    The first cruise is set to sail from San Francisco on Feb. 17, officials said. The eight-day itinerary includes three days in San Francisco, two in Sacramento, one day each in Napa and Stockton and one full day cruising, officials said.

The Old Sacramento neighborhood along the Sacramento River.
    Michael Macor/Special To The Chronicle
    Travelers start their voyage in San Francisco with a one-day cruise through the bay. Day 2 is a stop in Stockton, which includes a visit to the Haggin Museum and the Stockton 99 Speedway. Next up is Sacramento, with a two-day itinerary including visits to the state Capitol and museums. Day 5 takes passengers to Napa, and includes a “special experience” at an undisclosed winery. That’s followed by a day of cruising through San Pablo Bay.
    Days 7 and 8 are all about San Francisco, with visits to Alcatraz Island, Fisherman’s Wharf and Ghirardelli Square, officials said.
    The vessel, called the American Jazz, was launched in 2020 and has 99 rooms with a guest capacity of 190, officials said.
    The American Jazz may stand apart as a luxury overnight passenger vessel plying the delta from the coast to the capital, but it’s not the first. The twin paddlewheelers Delta King and Delta Queen commuted between Sacramento and San Francisco from 1927 to 1940, according to the Delta King’s website.
    The Delta King was renovated in the 1980s after it was partially submerged for more than a year in San Francisco Bay. It is now a hotel permanently anchored in Sacramento. The Delta Queen is docked near New Orleans awaiting restoration, according to its website.

Now that I read it Stockton and Sacramento by the deepwater channel should be easy, but Napa? Where would they dock?

$12k to go to Stockton??? I'd pay that to stay away...