Thread: Ken Douglas boat

Default Ken Douglas boat

I'm looking for advise on how to prep this 12' lapstrake dinghy that was rumoured to be one of Ken Douglas' last builds... hull no. 5.128. It was delivered in 1996 and appears to have been tarped up and never launched. Everything looks brand new and ready to be put into service. Having been stored for so long I'm sure there's a best practice as to going about this. Filling with water... probably not? Launching, maybe? Conditioning red cedar? Photo's to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ken Douglas boat

Wow, that’s a sweet boat!

I wouldn’t fill it with water pre-launch but I would spray it down a couple of times a day for a few days before launch.

If it has never been wet since it left the builders shop, there is nothing that the hull should need. Just check over the mechanicals to ensure that they have not corroded or any lubricant dried out.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks for the quick reply. It was well tarped and being in the rain forest wasn't dried out terribly. Not too sure of it's history but 5.128 may refer to 1995 and boat #128. Motor cleaned up nicely and runs like new. A bit of vibration but no isolation of motor mounts is expected I'm thinking.