Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Another Hartley TS16 restore.

Default Re: Another Hartley TS16 restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    For what purpose? The CB is steel plate and weighs enough as it is, I don’t think the extra weight would offer any real benefit other than perhaps in serious racing ..... and if it’s against class rules why would you?
    I won't be doing that. My concerns are more to do with coaming heights etc. Small details. I to make the boat mine but I also want to keep it within the specs for whoever may own it after me.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Some kind soul sent me a few photos of the plans for the centerboard and case. So while looking closely I noticed the front of the case in the plans has a 3.5" notch for the centerboard. I also realised mine doesn't have the notch. So out with the tape measure. Not ony does my case not have the notch but it is also a few inches lower in depth.
    As per plan.
    As per plan.jpg
    And as per reality.
    My centerboard and case.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    Oracles pre-regatta boat for the San Francisco America's Cup was found to have lead in the wrong places and they got docked a point for the match.
    It happens everywhere all the time, all the way up the food chain Larks.
    Yep, there are often shenanigans at the pointy end of a fleet. To some, it's almost like a sport in itself :-)

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Some kind soul sent me a few photos of the plans for the centerboard and case. So while looking closely I noticed the front of the case in the plans has a 3.5" notch for the centerboard. I also realised mine doesn't have the notch. So out with the tape measure. Not ony does my case not have the notch but it is also a few inches lower in depth.
    As per plan.
    As per plan.jpg
    And as per reality.
    My centerboard and case.jpg
    See, shenanigans...popping up to illustrate right on cue :-)

But of course incompetence is the more likely explanation. As the old quip goes: if it's a choice between a conspiracy and a stuff-up, it's a stuff-up every time ;-)

Last edited by Mitziel; 10-19-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I can't see the 3.5" notch you mention.

The drop in height for the board would allow for lowering 'stuff' inside the boat.
    Might be something i'd do to gain a little headroom - or perhaps to make ingress/egress from the cabin a smidge easier....?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I can't see the 3.5" notch you mention.

The drop in height for the board would allow for lowering 'stuff' inside the boat.
    Might be something i'd do to gain a little headroom - or perhaps to make ingress/egress from the cabin a smidge easier....?
    Look at the end view of the case in the plans, it's actually 3 1/4".

I’m sure that you’ve already worked it out, but the notch is just for the forward “lever”/extension of the CB to drop into so that the control line for raising and lowering it can feed to a turning block fitted to the keelson and back to the cockpit (I had two blocks, one at the plate and one at the keelson, for better purchase). If you have a lower CB case than in the plans I’d expect that your CB should be sitting proud of the top of the casing when the CB is raised...???

(Also you wouldn’t be able to fit a cover over the CB case to stop water squirting up into the cabin when you fit a 9hp outboard ....as I did at one stage........... and the CB cover board can be set up to be used as quite a functional table and cheese board when at anchor )
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I’m sure that you’ve already worked it out, but the notch is just for the forward “lever”/extension of the CB to drop into so that the control line for raising and lowering it can feed to a turning block fitted to the keelson and back to the cockpit (I had two blocks, one at the plate and one at the keelson, for better purchase). If you have a lower CB case than in the plans I’d expect that your CB should be sitting proud of the top of the casing when the CB is raised...???

(Also you wouldn’t be able to fit a cover over the CB case to stop water squirting up into the cabin when you fit a 9hp outboard ....as I did at one stage........... and the CB cover board can be set up to be used as quite a functional table and cheese board when at anchor )

Yeah I got that sussed Greg. The centerboard wasn't in place when I got the boat, but I would assume it will sit proud. Maybe I can raise the sides the required amount?
    Anyway, apart from more sanding I pulled the compression post out as it was covered in flaking paint. Angle grinder and a flapper disk fixed that.
    Compression post 1.jpg

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Raising the CB case and capping it sounds like a good idea. Even under sail it'll splash in.
    Looks like it had a cap.

cap.jpg
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Water splashes in, true that. But the slot also makes for a good aquascope (?) at anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Raising the CB case and capping it sounds like a good idea. Even under sail it'll splash in.
    Looks like it had a cap.

cap.jpg
    I've been thinking along those lines today. The block on top was obviously a stop for when the board was down.

No photo as yet, but I spent the morning raising the top on one side of the CB case. I'm increasing the height by 75mm. Height is one of those ei words that buck the ei rule, gets me all the time.

Good move Gary. With minimum buoyancy installed, a swamped Hartley will float with the top of the (as designed) casing only just above water. Yours, as built, would be well below waterline.
    I guess the other issue with the low CB case is the retracted board would hang 50 or so mm below the hull making it a bugger to get on the trailer!

Is the CB itself true Gary? Or is it perhaps smaller than as drawn?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Is the CB itself true Gary? Or is it perhaps smaller than as drawn?
    In measurement it is 75mm shorter in depth.
    So, pulled the cramps off the side I did yesterday and it's all good so far.
    20211025_101934.jpg
    20211025_102031.jpg

I have the extention on the other side of the CB case glued up now. Fingers crossed I'll get more done tomorrow.

I managed to get all the house and yard jobs out of the way early and it's not raining...yet. So I figured I could get a bit of boat work done.
    Both sides with their extentions.
    Both sides pre glass.jpg
    The joins were a bit gappy but some epoxy and microfibre took care of that.
    I had a roll of 100mm glass tape leftover from the Redwing repairs which gave a 25mm overlap of the join. Wetting out the tape.
    Wetting out.jpg

Both sides of the case are done, time for a coffee
    .Both glassed.jpg

Another day and a few more hours work.
    All ready to sand back and get a coat of primer on.
    Ready to sand and primer.jpg

The stiffener on the outside will be a feature piece as well.
    The outside.jpg

And the primer done.
    Primer on.jpg

It always pays to have a couple of small jobs that need a bit of primer on the side, just in case you've mixed extra. I did do an extra mix for the transom but I did want to get the rudder closer to a top coat.
    Blade primer.jpg

The rudder stock is a bit more of a problem as the gap between the cheeks (none of that!) is not wide enough to get a brush or a thin roller right in there.
    Stock primer.jpg

The transom and port quarter topside copped some primer as well.
    Transom primer.jpg

Sort of wishing I had varnished the rudder stock instead. Too late now, I'm not stripping it back a 2nd time.

Slapping more 2 pac primer around. I cleaned up and keyed the paint under the cockpit sole aft section.
    Prepaint 1.jpg
    I did contemplate the idea of stripping the inside of the hull back to bare ply, but sometimes I think you have a draw a line on some things. I do want to go sailing next year.
    A bit of primer.jpg

A couple of steps forward, but it looks like one back.
    The forward bit was getting the CB slot primed with some 2 pac.
    CB slot primed 1.jpg
    I then moved onto the aft starboard section under the cockpit.
    rot 3.jpg
    I noticed a bit of give in the unpainted strip, a section that had been repaired in the past. So I put a mat down under the boat, and had a look. A poke with a finger confirmed my suspicions.
    Rot 1.jpg

Hull rot 2.jpg
    It's not pretty and there is a dimpling around a couple of other previous patches where steel screws have been used.
    Anyway it will probably have to wait till I can tip the boat on it's side.

A couple of spare hours and I made some good progress today. The centerboard case is once again the center of attention.
    Extending the height of the case meant extending the aft piece of framing. Basically a little beveled block of wood.
    packer extension 1.jpg

Packer extension 2.jpg
    Next job was to glue on the top side rails. With jobs where I need to glue a section of timber to another piece, and I don't want it to move I use small brads to hold it in place. Simple bang in some brads in the glue face, then snip them really short. The photo shows one rail with the brads, and the other with them cut short.

top rail pins.jpg
    The rails had bowed a bit, so I had to use a bit of persuasion to get sitting properly.
    Side one 1.jpg
    And the second side done.
    Side one 1.jpg

Okay, I'm getting a bit excited now...so close to refitting the centerboard case.
    Both the centerboard slot in the keelson, and the inside faces of the case have a gloss two pack topcoat.

Topcoat centercase slot.jpg

centercase topcoat.jpg

Okay, settle down, it is only a dry fit.
    Dry fit bow.jpg

Centerboard pin and cap.
    Centerboard pin.jpg

Centerboard pin cap.jpg
    There are still a few small jobs to do on it, but I reckon I may have it glued together tomorrow.
    Last edited by WX; 11-30-2021 at 04:30 AM.