Thread: 1950 comet, looking for some guidance

Default 1950 comet, looking for some guidance

Hello everyone ! first time posting here. I recently was gifted a 1950 comet with trailer from a friend who just didn't have the space for it anymore. I have fixed up three old houses in my days, but i am brand new to boat repair and the specifics of woodworking with boats. I purchased a few books that are on their way and I have been searching the forum here and trying to contact on facebook a few friends in the wooden boat world for guidance. I know that i am a noobie here, so i apologize... and I hope someone will be willing to give me some help figuring out my first steps. Here are some photos of the boat, to get us started:

the main problem I have is in understanding the proper way to deal with the long, thin sections on the underside of the boat that look like rot/seperation of the planks. I have read some people route out the area where the planks meet, and then epoxy in a thin strip made to fit that gap. Others have told me that I should NEVER consider putting epoxy or glass on this boat since it is wood. There seems to be a big back and forth about when i could/should use epoxies and other things that I feel a bit lost on.

Here are some specific photos of problem areas, that maybe others can help with. I am trying to just get an understanding of the vocabulary, and what I would need to do to get her sailing with the family and safe. I am not looking for a hardcore restoration, but am willing to be a lot of sweat and time into it. I would love any and all help pointing me in the direction of my first steps!

1950 comet

Default Re: 1950 comet, looking for some guidance

Ahh, so you made it over here. Very good.
    I would start by cleaning her out well, removing the floorboards, then taking and posting a lot of pictures. Also let people know your skill level and what you would like for an end result (museum piece or nice user boat) as well as how you would like to use her (kept in the water or on a trailer, just recreational sailing or class racing).
    I would suggest those for starters.

And Welcome! Comets are nice little boats.

Thanks for getting me here Ned! I will probably start work on that this weekend or next week !

End result is hopefully a nice user boat to teach my three young kids how to sail as they get older. We live right on a lake, but the boat will be kept on a trailer and used for very light family sailing.

hopefully get some more update photos and some cleaned out pics up here soon!

That sounds good! I’ll look for your updates.

Hello again! I recently cleaned up the boat and removed the bottom planks and tried to get a ton of photos. I found some more problem areas as I went, but I still feel like the problem with the hull and the gaps in the planks is obviously the biggest problem. The good news is that what i previously thought was black rot, doesn't seem to be rot at all but some type of caulk/putty that has been smeared in and around the cracks by a previous owner. It looks like over time these cracks have extended beyond their original attempt at caulking them, and where my bigger leaks are coming from.

Could anyone advise on how to go about treating these seams? the entire underside of the boat is a very matte finish and rough... im dreading scraping the whole thing down to wood but maybe that is what is necessary to really prevent further separation or problems?

Here is another big IMGUR gallery with a bunch of photos of the areas in question and general condition of the boat.

comet clean up / first look

Hello again ! still looking for some guidance if anyone can spare. I have finished scraping and the topside of the boat as well as removing most of the hardware. I have cleaned the interior best I can and starting to think about next steps. A friend has mentioned that while I have the top down to bare wood i should do some coats of Penetrating epoxy, but then I read here and elsewhere that i just should not put any glass or epoxy on old wooden boats if i can help it at all. Would i just CPES the topside, and not the underside of those boards? or would it be best to do all exposed surface of those boards?

The underside cracks are still worrysome, but some local boatbuilders I have talked too said i should just sand everything down a little bit and put a new coat of paint on and get her in the water/bailing her to see if things tighten up a bit. worse case, they said I can just get some sikaflex and probably get away with doing that for the time being. I would be interesting in using a baton or shim to fill the gap and glueing it in, but again, worried about using any kind of glue because of contraction/expansion issues.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.02.25 AM.jpg