Thread: Need Help Identifying Old Boat

Exclamation Need Help Identifying Old Boat

I am an intern at the Marquette Maritime Museum and have been doing research into some old boats the museum has had in storage for 20+ years. My research has hit a snag in identifying one of our boats, I cant seem to find any reliable information about the company that made it or anything about the boat itself. It was built by White Bear Boat Yard from White Bear Lake, Minnesota and thats about as much as I can find out. I'll attach the photos I have of the boat and hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help me out! My goal is to know the design model and the year(s) it could have been built in, plus any other information about the company would be incredibly helpful. I can also take more photos if necessary.
    IMG_4361.jpgIMG_4362.jpgwhitebearlabel.jpgIMG_4465.jpgwhitebearback.jpg

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Old Boat

Mary, that’s a White Bear Skiff. I believe they were produced in the late 70s and early 80s. They were sold through the Wooden Boat Shop here in Seattle during that period, and likely other places as well. You might try connecting with Pat Ford (pcford here on the forum) as he is familiar with them. It’s also likely that past issues of WoodenBoat magazine form that period might have advertising about them.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

You might also try a Google search of this forum for more references using this search:

site:forum.woodenboat.com white bear skiff
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Chris, thank you! I appreciate the help.

I believe Fletcher Driscoll who owned and operated the White Bear Boat Yard in the 1960s is alive and kicking, last I heard he was still sailing his A scow at the White Bear Yacht Club.

Also Jay Rendall is working on a book about the boat builders of White Bear Lake, he has a Facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/BoatWorksBay