Thread: Bow roller for Plumb Bow

Default Bow roller for Plumb Bow

Evening People,

I have a plumb bowed classic launch and I'd love to do some auto anchoring and store the anchor on the bow roller. I normally drop the anchor over the side carefully by hand and retrieve the same way, storing it on the deck, but, the current roller doesn't have a massive length, ie. I suspect every drop and raise the anchor would have a bash at the stem. Has anyone come up with a cunning plan for this so i don't have to have a meter long sprit to anchor from? Any feedback on the adjustable length tilting ones etc?

IMG_1568 2.jpgIMG_1586 5.jpg

Default Re: Bow roller for Plumb Bow

What a great looking boat!

What I see most commonly here in the States is protective wood or metal on one side so the anchor can bang without damaging anything.

For example, Skookum Maru (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Skookum-Maru):

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yeah... a plate to take the eventual bangs against the boat. And if there is any sea at all or boat wakes, the hook will bang the boat.

Wild idea: maybe install a reefing bowsprit that could extend to deploy / haul anchor and then be slid back for stowage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I did not want anything protruding from Meg's bow so tucked rollers on each side of the stem, rollers small enough for just the chain and rode.

A hinged moveable cat brings the hook aboard.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Grass is Greener on the other side...New Zealand that is...wow what a boat!
    Either a big cat or a thru hause thingy.

Beautiful boat! My boat has a nearly plumb bow and I have a roller that is offset from center just a bit but still short. Sorry I don’t have a better pic at hand, I’ll try to get one later. But I still have the problem of the anchor dinging the paint on the bow. I have a bronze strip on the stem but it doesn’t help much. I just keep a can on touch up paint in the dock box and touch it up as needed. Many boats around here have full bright anchor guards of hardwood planks.

037844FD-C6D5-4F60-8A27-36F50E8A601D.jpg

EFE7C18F-0674-4C40-9C24-66FD1B1A0893.jpeg
    Last edited by ron ll; 06-15-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    What a great looking boat!

What I see most commonly here in the States is protective wood or metal on one side so the anchor can bang without damaging anything.

For example, Skookum Maru (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Skookum-Maru):
    The irony of showing Skookum Maru here is that I am always very careful not to let the anchor hit the bow protector for fear of denting or scratching it. (The bow protector, not the anchor). One may draw whatever conclusions you like about my mental state from that factoid. But seriously, her setup works really well. Here's a better photo:

The bow roller doesn't stick out very far but there is enough angle and flare in the bow that it's enough to keep the anchor away from the hull in most circumstances. My Girl might need a roller that extends a bit farther out but I don't think it would need to project very far. Certainly nothing like a meter. And the part of Skookum Maru's setup that is most useful here is that the roller is hinged so that it can be swung inboard and stowed. it's possible to do it with the anchor still in place although it's a little cumbersome. I've seen similar rollers for sale used here in the USA. I imagine something similar could be found down under as well.

However one question. I don't see any windlass on My Girl. Are you planning to add one?
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

An anchor davit wouldn't look out of place on your boat. Haul the anchor until it's about to break the surface, swing the anchor davit outboards, loop the rode over the davit pulley, heave the anchor home and swing it inboard for stowing.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

A davit is my alternative to a swingable cat head.

With either, I'll have a light trip line and float at the anchor crown. Bring the hook free of the bottom, snag the trip line and lay it on an open snatch block hanging overboard from the end of the cat head or crane, let the rode be slack while hauling the anchor with the trip line. If I get all the dimensions right, I'll be able house the hook on the fore hatch with no heavy lifting.

I like being able to put my bow against a pier with no fear of snagging and I like the look of Meg's nose.

Chris, you need an anchor guard for your anchor guard.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Chris, you need an anchor guard for your anchor guard.
    Ha! Right, I could cover it with copper sheet perhaps. Or plexiglass. The funny thing is that the wood is entirely free of any scratches so it looks like all Skookum Maru's owners from new have taken similar care. Or perhaps the flare of the hull just makes it superfluous.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

This can be mounted on a short, plank bowsprit, extended when needed and folded aft when not. https://www.ebay.com/itm/38347579970...UAAOSwJbVeeQAS
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

ah, now there's a cunning plan!

Good timing for this thread ! We are also pondering anchor rollers / stowing. Has anyone seen a video online of using a cat head to retrieve an anchor ? I can picture the procedure in my minds eye, but I haven't seen it done. Thinking for a small boat - not a massive ship.

Cheers,
    Mark