Thread: Car rental

Default Car rental

Daughter and family were planning a trip to Kawa’ii next month. They arranged a place to stay, and then discovered that there was only one vehicle available for rent. For over $1,000 for a week they could rent an F150.

She researched other vacation places, and discovered that rentals are few and quite expensive.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Car rental

Pent up demand? Or just no cars available, period? I've read (likely here) that used car prices have jumped big time.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I just checked seatac for september. About $500/week.

They sold rental fleets for cash during covid. Now they need to build them back up. And claims of production delays for new stock. May be partly true. But I suspect partly creating the perception of scarcity to raise prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I just checked seatac for september. About $500/week.

They sold rental fleets for cash during covid. Now they need to build them back up. And claims of production delays for new stock. May be partly true. But I suspect partly creating the perception of scarcity to raise prices.
    all of the automakers have suffered production delays & shutdowns from the chip shortage. The lack of new vehicles to buy has caused used car prices to skyrocket, which has been one of the big drivers in the inflation numbers everyone is whining about.

So.... what I'm 'hearing' is - an F150 ain't good enough for your wife?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

For the last two years of production 85% of the Impala and Cadillac CTS in Oshawa was rental market cars. At the time I felt that the rental companies must have had a VERY large parking lot somewhere. I'm talking hundreds of thousands of cars! Could they have used them all up already?

I travel for work, as I've shared, and almost every time I pick up my rental, there is another customer at the counter who did not reserve a car, and cannot believe that there are no cars.

The days of, " I'll just pick up a car when I get there," are over.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Options, depending on how far, how hilly, and how often they need to move around:
    - Uber, of course
    - Bus
    - Rental bicycle (manual or electric), or rental scooter (the little ones, like a motorized skateboard with a handle).
    - Bring/buy bikes. If buying, I recommend a small-wheel folding bike, small enough to bring there and back as checked luggage. Very handy, an investment instead of money out the window on renting anything.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I travel for work, as I've shared, and almost every time I pick up my rental, there is another customer at the counter who did not reserve a car, and cannot believe that there are no cars.

The days of, " I'll just pick up a car when I get there," are over.

Kevin
    Even before they were over, the difference in price between making a reservation & doing it in person was huge. Not that I've had to deal with it for 18 months...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

My daughter had to rearrange some of her vacation plans around rental car availability.

they sold off cars, as people were not renting many. Now they can't replace them to meet demand.

Probably Hillary's fault?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Turo.com

Turo is an American peer-to-peer carsharing company based in San Francisco, United States. The company allows private car owners to rent out their vehicles via an online and mobile interface in over 56 countries.

In July 2019, the American holding company IAC invested $250 million in Turo, a deal that valued the company at more than $1 billion.

As of 2020, the website has 14 million members and 450,000 vehicles listed operating in over 56 countries. Turo reported raising an additional $30 million in VC funding; a second follow-up to its $250 million Series E round.

On January 1, 2021, the Wall Street Journal reported that Turo CEO Andre Haddad plans to take the company public in 2021, either through a traditional IPO or some alternative method.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

One of the car mags had an article on renting transportation in Hawaii - It seems he, too, was shocked by the rental car daily rates - and wound up renting a small U-haul van at their cheap daily usage rates. Ingenious !!!!

And he probably made a few $$$ on the side, helping folks move. Genius, says I.

Nie tak dawno musiałem wynajem crossoverów na lotnisku Kijów-Boryspol https://carol.rent/pl/car-rental/kbp/suv i na platformie Carol bez trudu znalazłem auto, które mi odpowiadało za rozsądne pieniądze . Samochód jest sprawny i nie miałem problemów z właścicielem podczas komunikacji.

Had a pilot for another airline trying to get home to Charlotte on my Jumpseat the other day. We were going to Greenville, which is @ 80 miles from Charlotte. He was planning on renting a car for the one way trip from Greenville to Charlotte. $400.
    I asked him if he’d checked Uber. He hadn’t, but he pulled it up. $120.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I stopped renting cars and just use Uber/Lyft anywhere now. Even from home to the airport - no parking charge and no waiting for a shuttle. Last trip to Tokyo the normal hotel shuttle was closed due to covid, Uber picked up in minutes and went straight to the hotel instead of dropping off at several places. In many hotels the daily parking charge adds up to more than the cost of a few trips. You learn a lot about a new place by asking the driver, too.

+1 for Uber. Friends landed in Atlanta a while back and needed to get to B'ham. After looking at the options Uber came out on top.
    Will

In Chattanooga today, had a car reserved, told me they would put me on a waiting list. Flew into Chattanooga instead of Nashville because Nashville had no cars to rent this week. With every one wanting a ride the only Uber was 56 for 8 miles. I will probably hike the 2 miles to the meeting in the morning. Really hating travel more than usual the last two years.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    In Chattanooga today, had a car reserved, told me they would put me on a waiting list. Flew into Chattanooga instead of Nashville because Nashville had no cars to rent this week. With every one wanting a ride the only Uber was 56 for 8 miles. I will probably hike the 2 miles to the meeting in the morning. Really hating travel more than usual the last two years.
    if its downtown, chattanooga has fantastic free bus service
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thanks, I'll look into that.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Не так давно мне пришлось арендовать кроссоверы в аэропорту Киев-Борисполь https://carol.rent/pl/car-rental/kbp/suv и на платформе Кэрол я легко нашел подходящую мне машину за разумные деньги. Автомобиль исправен, и у меня не было проблем с владельцем при общении.