Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Default Re: Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    already subscribed

just miss being able to LIKE certain posts/replies

sw
    There is the RATE THIS THREAD option

I VOTED

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by LarixMaximus View Post
    This is getting more interesting. Can i guess because of the internal framing, that it will be only glassed on the outside?
    It will only be glassed on the outside because there is quite a bit of framing. The frames/floors are 25" to 35" apart and of course 4 stringers running the length of the boat. All of the above will have epoxy fillets and 3 layers of cloth tape and epoxy at the keel, floors, frames, and stringers.

The boat designer, Kurt Cerny, came for a consultation for the first time since construction began. He had a couple more pages of new plans and I had numerous questions and was having some difficulty getting part of the curvature in the bow.

I think the project is getting more fun because we can work on different parts of it instead of just one part like the stringers. I tried a sample piece of strip planking and had to make several improvements. The 1/2" temporary frames would not hold a fastener so I placed a 3/4" pine piece against each temporary frame. I changed screw sizes and pad blocks. I think I'm dialed in now. We milled the first planking strips today and that seems like a milestone. We are using Atlantic white cedar 3/4" thick by 1 1/8" wide. There is very little waste when making them that size but they also work good on the boat. We assembled the last part of the temporary jig that forms the sheer clamp.

We also milled the fir for the first glue up of the shear clamp. It takes a tight bend at the bow so it is a 1/4" thick. This new Dewalt planer works great and it easy to use.

i love rolling my planer(like yours) to the back door of the barn which is on the down wind side

w/ the front door open a floor standing 20" fan at my back and the planer's exhaust port is pointed down wind clean up is reduced by heaps

the leaf blower finishes the job w/ ease

more pics please

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

It seems like things are moving along good since my last post. We glued up the starboard sheer clamp. The shear really defines the shape of the boat in plan and the profile. I'm satisfied with it but we had a kink or two in it. The only thing I know to do is add filler in the low spots. The shear clamp is 32' long and we used 97 clamps in this glue up.

Nice, Walt.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Walt,
    Even in the shop the boat sorta disappears in the distance!
    Big boat!
    I enjoy your updates.
    Regards,
    Alan.

At 17' the bow is just right over there!
    F1A64968-CEAB-4BAD-AD90-5677722F05A1.jpg

My shop is in a constant state of disorganization. The first picture in the last thread I was standing on a step ladder with my head stuck to the ceiling. The boat is very big in the shop. We debated about how close we could get it to the wall and at the last minute we moved it 6" more away from it and really glad we did.
    That's a cool 17' boat. Is it featured on this forum?

I bought the West Metering pump for dispensing the epoxy. It was a little pricey at $350 but with a couple of modifications I am very pleased with it. I called West before we glued up these stringers and they said forget the pumps just pour appropriate ratios together in containers. I did that but we had some waste. I use graduated 2 1/2 quart pails and they worked good for larger epoxy usage. Back to the pump, the handle seemed too short and not much leverage to push down on it. Also the unit would flip over if you push down on the lever without holding onto the base. Seemed like you need 3 hands, one for the container, one to hold the unit, and the other for pushing on the pump handle. I bolted the unit to a larger plywood base and built an oak extension handle. We used it on the last glue up and I'm thrilled with it. I figure I will probably use it at least 500 pumps in the building of this boat.
    We completed the 1st outboard stringer by bonding the shorter section to the 24' section. We beveled the end to fit the transom and sanded the sides. It's nice to have one thing completed. In an earlier thread, I said we had started milling, planking, and have since calculated it will take 5,145' of strips to complete the boat. Just slightly under a mile!

Hello Walt,

Although I'm having a VERY good time building this 17' boat I don't think it in anyway exemplifies a boat project that anyone could learn from.
    I'm embarrassed to record what a butcher I am.
    So no thread for it on this forum.

It's the opposite of your project which shows just what building a rather BIG boat involves.

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello Walt,

Although I'm having a VERY good time building this 17' boat I don't think it in anyway exemplifies a boat project that anyone could learn from.
    I'm embarrassed to record what a butcher I am.
    So no thread for it on this forum.

It's the opposite of your project which shows just what building a rather BIG boat involves.

Regards,
    Alan
    Well your project looks very interesting to me.
    Walt

It's the first time I've seen Alan's build too. Looks great! I'll second the request for a thread on that one. (And now I'll go back to lurking here)
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Is this framing set up for what is called seam-batten planking?

Looks good to me too.
    If that is considered butchery...then I might be in trouble...

Hello Folks,

LM, Yes I'm thinking that what I'm trying to build is a seam/batten planked boat.

All, I appreciate your comments.
    I'll reconsider starting a thread and hope that my intrusion here hasn't derailed Walt's thread in any way.
    You'll see a new thread if I decide to continue but I'm not going to respond anymore here. The last thing I want is to high-jack Walt's thread!!!

Regards,
    Alan
    Last edited by Alan71; 09-27-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Hello Folks,

LM, Yes I'm thinking that what I'm trying to build is a seam/batten planked boat.

All, I appreciate your comments.
    I'll reconsider starting a thread and hope that my intrusion here hasn't derailed Walt's thread in any way.

Regards,
    Alan
    The garboards at the forefoot might be tricky. They will try to lay convex, when you need hollow. You mignt need steam and to clamp formers in way of the frames to push hollow into the plank stock.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Umm, I missed the beginning of the party... but yes, yes I do want to see you build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise!

Hello Folks,

Thank you. I may have more questions when you start a thread. Not a construction usually seen here.

We have removed the stringers several times for beveling. We mark them in place , remove them, and power plane close to the line. We always get concerned that we have planed too much and placed the stringer back in the building jig. We have them almost finished so I began the process of epoxying the shorter aft sections to the long stringer. I also needed to cut a 15 degree angle on the aft end to mate up with the transom. The completed stringers look really neat as they widen to almost a foot deep at the stern. In the original plans the in board stringers were 3" deeper that the out board ones. When the designer visited recently he says the out board stringers depth needed to be increased by 3" but I could do this after rolling the boat over. The more I thought about it it would be easier to do now. I spent most of last week making a new wider section and epoxying all of the deeper stringers together. I had to increase the notch in the building jig and although it is temporary I had to reinforce it with 2 x 2's. I have spent many hours modifying the building jig but I think it will pay off when I start planking. I am constantly trying a test sample of planking and there is a large amount of pressure on it at the stem. I added 3/4" boards on both sides of the stem for a better screw holding. I have a huge pile of scrap wood in my shop that only gets larger with each project except this boat. I am using it daily for temp. parts of the boat. Some of the wood I just cut up was from an ugly mantle I removed in a modern house.

More

Hello Walt,

Seriously BIG parts being made for a serious big boat!

I love seeing how you're going about building this boat.

Are there any boats of this type and size still being made from wood in the Chesapeake area or are they typically fiberglass now?

Regards,
    Alan

No there are no wooden boats being built on the Bay that I know of. The Deltaville Museum is building one and there is a man in Reedville who builds skiffs and can build a boat of any size. I try to stay in touch and I know of no one who builds them to sell. All of the watermen tell me their boats were built in the 80's.