Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Default Re: Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    This suggests a V-bottom cross-planked in herringbone fashion with little internal framing.
    Is this a particular advantage of this bottom style, that in needs little framing (why), or just something done by the builders in this area?

Thank you for the link.

Sorry I missed your last post. Sometimes I do not get a notification.
    Deadrises are fairly crude compared to other methods of boat construction but they are a good work boat in my area. Herringbone planking is not a thing. The North Carolina boys would angle their planking on the bottom from the keel back to the chine but I've never seen it done in Virginia.
    I guess to answer your question the bottom planking usually only has one stringer per side and a heavy keelson usually straight and 12" x 12" in size. They also have heavy floors but only about 2 or 3 of them running athwartship. The side planking does have closely spaced frames. Usually the bottom and side planking range in thickness from 1" to 1 3/8" . These boats look great under way and provide a good working platform and cushion that no fiberglass or steel boat can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    Sorry I missed your last post. Sometimes I do not get a notification.
    Deadrises are fairly crude compared to other methods of boat construction but they are a good work boat in my area. Herringbone planking is not a thing. The North Carolina boys would angle their planking on the bottom from the keel back to the chine but I've never seen it done in Virginia.
    I guess to answer your question the bottom planking usually only has one stringer per side and a heavy keelson usually straight and 12" x 12" in size. They also have heavy floors but only about 2 or 3 of them running athwartship. The side planking does have closely spaced frames. Usually the bottom and side planking range in thickness from 1" to 1 3/8" . These boats look great under way and provide a good working platform and cushion that no fiberglass or steel boat can offer.
    Thank you. I can see that fitting short thick planks would be easier and faster than trying the same with a stern to bow plank, and would certainly avoid use of a steam box. Many ways to pickle a herring.

This week my son and I drove to Maryland to see the fiberglass version of the boat we are building. It is built of C-Flex and had not been faired yet. I had not seen the builder for 20 years. It was very nice to see him and he was quite hospitable. He had numerous boat projects going on. He was building the 30' for himself so that was the lowest priority.

In my area there was an extraordinary 94 year old woodworker whose tools were auctioned. I got to preview them and they were incredible. There were tons of machinery and hand tools but I mostly wanted clamps. I had surgery on a Monday and the auction took place on Saturday so I could not attend it. My son bid for me and had never attended an auction and successfully got 40 clamps and a nice rolling clamp rack! I do not see this style of clamp available for sale very often. I got the clamp rack for $25 but paid dearly for the clamps. There were 80 clamps on this clamp rack!

I set up a 24' long table to sand the strips that will be glued up for the stringers. It will also be useful for applying epoxy to the strips. I am almost ready to do the first glue-up with all 48 strips sanded. My wife is putting packing tape on the floor notches so the stringers do not bond to them. After glue-up the stringers will need to be removed for beveling, sanding, and drilling limber holes. It's moving slow.

Today we glued up a 24' outboard stringer that was 9 plies thick. It went pretty good except for a lot of excess epoxy and some misalignment of some of the plies. I did days of prep and need to make a few changes and the next 3 will be better. The inboard stringers are 18 layers thick and I do not think we can do that in one session. We will have to do 9 layers and let it cure unless I can get more help.

Last edited by waltwood; 08-23-2021 at 04:55 PM.

That looks like a huge amount of work for not a lot of bend. I understand a laminated timber can be stronger. Is there a reason why you are not trying to bend a whole solid piece in?

Yes it was a lot of work. I think you would have difficulty bending a solid piece of wood. The main reason is lack of defects. It would be nearly impossible to find a 4" x 4" by 24' defect free piece of wood. We cut around or threw out any defective pieces. Also at 3/8" thick we just barely were able to get as much bend in it as needed. The inboard stringers have more of a bend and they are 5/16" thick. I am mainly building it this way because the designer said so but when I was whining about how much work it was he said we could have used plywood. However that would have to be thin also. Good question though.

I ask only as i have seen some big timbers being bent, but after much steaming. There is i think a cross over where what is cosidered traditional, does not work in a glued boat.

Will it be a glued bottom or caulked?

waltwood, it'z alwayz fun to wake up to one of your posts

looking fwd to seeing this project take shape

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by LarixMaximus View Post
    I ask only as i have seen some big timbers being bent, but after much steaming. There is i think a cross over where what is cosidered traditional, does not work in a glued boat.

Will it be a glued bottom or caulked?
    It will be glued and the hull will be covered with 2 layers glass and epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    waltwood, it'z alwayz fun to wake up to one of your posts

looking fwd to seeing this project take shape

sw
    It's good to know that you like the thread. I wasn't getting a lot of comments so I didn't know.

waltwood, some of the other forums i subscribe to have a "like" button where folks can register their presence/continued following

kinda like leaving one's card in a dish when someone's not home ;-)

i do miss that feature on this forum

sw

steve

Following Walt just awe struck and lost for words

It will be glued and the hull will be covered with 2 layers glass and epoxy.
    I shall be watching with great interest.

Subscribed! Can't wait to see the progression on this boat. It is a pleasure seeing your work. Thanks for taking the time to document it and share with the forum.

Hello Walt,

I'm following along too.

I really know very little about woodworking and am trying to build my first boat...a little 17' runabout. I was able to have the frames and floors cut by a CNC machine (at Chesapeake Light Craft) which helped me get off to a good start.

I've been amazed at your wonderful shop as it has appeared in your earlier thread! Now it's holding the beginning of a REALLY big boat and you're putting all that space to good use.

I can only say "carry on"!

Regards,
    Alan
    Last edited by Alan71; 08-16-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Alan,
    Learning woodworking has been a great source of enjoyment for me. I hope you find the same experience.

Today we glued up the 2nd outboard stringer and we did a better job than the 1st. It took about 8 hours of prep work prior to the glue up. I know that seems like a lot but there are many things to do. The things I did different were using extra slow hardener, having a 3rd person, applying less epoxy, and using side blocks and clamps to align the layers. I did not say it went perfect but much improvement over the 1st one. I am already making notes on changes to the inboard stringer glue ups which will be slightly more challenging because they have more layers and will be harder to get into position. We sanded the 1st stringer and put it back in place to lay out for the bevels. We also beveled the transom which I did not want to screw up. The one photo shows the stringer as it doubles in width about 5 feet from the transom.

Geez that lawnmower does a nice bevel Walt

Yes, the cut was a little rough!

When bonding those stringers, do you need to clean the wood with acetone or other chemical to remove any wood resin?

We have just been brushing them off.

I’m following your build with great interest and admiration. Thanks for posting all your work. It’s amazing!
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Today we glued up the 1st inboard stringer.They are 26' long instead of 24' like the outboard. We glued up 9 of the 15 layers because we thought the epoxy would harden if we tried to do all of them. I cooled the resin to 65 degrees and used extra slow hardener. With all of this we still had some harden in the container. We are improving our methods you have to keep in mind it is 90 degrees where we are located. The inboard stringers are 5/16" thick and we were barely able to make the bend at the bow. It took 3 of us.

We sanded 2 outboard stringers and laid them out for beveling.

Last photo, is that the transom on left?

Yes, it is. It is shown in post #5 and #53. I will install it after the stringer work.
    Last edited by waltwood; 08-26-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Had enough of stringers? Me too. this is the final layers of the inboard stringer. Note the thickness.

Nice laminate . You will destroy icebergs with that

Quote Originally Posted by L'Ankou View Post
    Nice laminate . You will destroy icebergs with that
    We love that comment!

We glued up the last stringer. I promise no more pictures of clamped stringers but they represent a lot of work. The inboard stringers were done in two different days of 7 layers each so we had a total of 6 glue up sessions. Four for the inboard stringers and 2 for the outboard.Each glue up took about 3 hours with 3 people not counting the stock preparation, sanding, scarfing, and so forth. We had to put plastic film on all our clamp pads and on the floors and frames. We had to clamp the stringers sideways so they would not skew. We used about 50 clamps per glue up.
    We beveled the 1st outboard stringer. It took about 3 hours but was not difficult. The Bevel changes angle at each station and gets difficult at the bow. There is a notch for the chin flat which is not installed yet but you will see in a future post. I'm trying to roughly keep track of the man hours on this project and we have 55 hours in the last 8 days which thrills me.

Walt, I’m just doing some research for a potential next build which requires a shed load of strips and a couple layers of veneers, which will need a heap of re-sawing and runnning through the thicknesser to clean up and bring to size. Just wondering what your findings are on the best way to go about it? Circular saw, band saw, table saw, in/out feed tables, personnel etc.

Andrew,
    I think the best tool for the strips is a table saw. A planer is pretty essential to make them consistent. As far as veneers, I understand you can purchase them from companies. I think this would be worth the expense. I bought a $3000 band saw just for this project and it is a disappointment. Some reviews stated you could resaw a 2 x 10 and I disagree. I have been running a band saw for 40 years. I also had a band mill and I know how to tune them. It takes an awful big one to do a quality job. Also, I have a heavy duty planer but it does not do well on thin layers. I bought this Dewalt table top planer and it is great for that.

My boat is being built different than others we see on this forum and elsewhere. I am just using strips that will not be beveled or profiled in any way. I am also not covering it in veneers. My framing is close enough that those things are not necessary and I believe the designer knows much more about it than I do. Any gaps between the strips will be filled with thickened epoxy. We are still discussing the planking thickness.

Andrew,
    I am just using strips that will not be beveled or profiled in any way. I am also not covering it in veneers. My framing is close enough that those things are not necessary and I believe the designer knows much more about it than I do. Any gaps between the strips will be filled with thickened epoxy. We are still discussing the planking thickness.
    This is getting more interesting. Can i guess because of the internal framing, that it will be only glassed on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    waltwood, some of the other forums i subscribe to have a "like" button where folks can register their presence/continued following

kinda like leaving one's card in a dish when someone's not home ;-)

i do miss that feature on this forum

sw

-- use the pull-down on THREAD TOOLS (above) to subscribe to a thread

already subscribed

just miss being able to LIKE certain posts/replies

sw

steve