Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Default Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Last Fall I started designing a boat that I had envisioned for a long time. I realized I did not have the skills for that and hired Kurt Cerny to design a boat. He was already working on a plan for a boat builder. It happened to be the same boat and boat builder that built us a boat in 2001. It was exactly what I wanted. The only difference between his design and mine is I wanted a wood boat with no tumblehome and the boat builder wanted all glass with tumblehome. The design process took many months and is not completed but I have received 6 pages of plans and the CNC cut frames, floors, and temporary stems to begin construction. He has met with me twice and provided much good advice. The boat is 30' long with a beam of 9'8" and I would describe it as a Bay Boat. I owned a 27' version of this boat and it has been stretched to a 30' so I am very familiar with the hull shape. We built a strongback and set up all the temporary and permanent frames and floors.

Default Re: Want to see me build a 30' Chesapeake Deadrise?

Yes! I love your build threads!

And love Deadrises!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Walt I am so glad you are starting a new build! Subscribed!

Wow! I didn't know I had any fans. That's great. The framing will be laminated Fir. The planking will be Atlantic White Cedar (AWC). The frames, floors, decks, transom, and sole will be plywood.

The first parts are the stringers and this is a partial pattern and the some of the other pics are building them.

These are temporary stems.

A sternal view less transom

A jig for glueing up the wider parts of the stringers

Transom glue up.

Of course!

I'll be following. Looks like a boat that will do most anything.
    -Dave

Looks interesting - I’m in
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Awesome, Walt!
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I, too, will be keeping up with your progress, Walt !!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    Wow! I didn't know I had any fans.
    After that barge build!? You have many fans. Given the quality of the work you did with that, I can't wait to watch this come together.

I'm a fan and I'm subscribed!

Yessir!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

This is great Walt, and a good example of current bayboat design. I'm looking forward to this, and it's off to a great start!
    Cricket

This is really great to hear from you all. I recognize everyone. I do not spend too much time on the Wooden Boat site. I got 2 problems going on. One is I had a surgery on Monday which will slow down the progress and the other is my Flickr account has 999 pictures and they want me to pay for more from now on. I remember some talk about not needing a host site to post pictures on Wooden Boat anymore. If this is true would someone tell me how to post pictures? I use a digital camera with a disk. I will tell you all more about the boat later.

Following

to post pictures use third icon from right and select “fromComputer” tab in the “insert image” window and the rest is pretty easy. Take your pictures in landscape format cos otherwise they go all crazy. I just use my phone or iPad to take pictures.

I will be checking every post you make in the building/repair forum, no matter what you are building. I will make very few posts as I have very little (no) knowledge that would help you and dislike having to read through many attaboys that add nothing to the thread, especially when they copy half a page of photos just to give a thumbs or or "Looks Great". Of course they look great because of your good taste in design and quality workmanship but those repeats of your posts add a lot of bandwidth that slows down getting to your subsequent posts. I know you like the attaboys but just a thumbs up or a pm does not take up much bandwidth.

I will give you an attaboy now, and you can be sure I will feel the same way till this thread is completed and a part of history.

I enjoyed following your other build threads.
    This one has my interest also. Nice lines and the bulkhead construction is interesting.
    Have you decided on the power plant yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I will be checking every post you make in the building/repair forum, no matter what you are building. I will make very few posts as I have very little (no) knowledge that would help you and dislike having to read through many attaboys that add nothing to the thread, especially when they copy half a page of photos just to give a thumbs or or "Looks Great". Of course they look great because of your good taste in design and quality workmanship but those repeats of your posts add a lot of bandwidth that slows down getting to your subsequent posts. I know you like the attaboys but just a thumbs up or a pm does not take up much bandwidth.

I will give you an attaboy now, and you can be sure I will feel the same way till this thread is completed and a part of history.
    I wasn't sure I wanted to put this project on this forum. I don't think it should be up to you to tell people what they can and cannot post. I see threads that go on and on for weeks that really don't have much point to it.
    Last edited by waltwood; 08-23-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    I enjoyed following your other build threads.
    This one has my interest also. Nice lines and the bulkhead construction is interesting.
    Have you decided on the power plant yet?
    Yes we are going with a single 300 HP Yamaha outboard. The NA says it will cruise at 28 knots and do 38 knots WOT. I was afraid it was under powered but he assures me we're good. Good to hear from you.

The inboard stringers are 26' long. They are made of laminated fir strips 5/16" thick. We resawed 3/4" stock to get this. They have to be this thin because they take a pretty hard bend at the bow. We have milled wood for a day and a half. I am scarfing the joints together rather than butting them. I made this simple jig on the tablesaw and I'm gluing them together at a rate of 4 per day. I'm not posting a whole lot because this will take a long time in itself. There is much more to the stringers than just gluing them up. They are angled at the stern and beveled to the contour of the boat bottom. Here is some of that progress.

Thank you for the considerable effort to share your build! No hurry, but please explain the process of acquiring your CNC molds for one-off home builders. Thanks!

The naval architect had a CNC company that he used for most projects. I know 2 local guys who would have done it but his man was less expensive even after having it shipped from Florida. They charged $20 a sheet which I thought was a good price.
    I think the most difficult part is putting it in a file form that can be interpreted by the CNC machine. All of the 1/2" birch ply is temporary and the 3/4" marine is permanent. We set it all up in 6 hours but it's going to be a lot of work from now on. I don't know if I answered your question.

I'm watching!
    That is a very impressive shop you've got there.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thank you. I enjoy my shop. I am a carpenter and professional woodworker notice I didn't say boat builder. I use the shop for my business but this the first boat I have built in it.

I really enjoyed your thread. Top notch work! I am strip planking this boat the same way you did.

I have completed milling and gluing up the scarfs for the 4 stringers. The inner stringers are made up of 15 layers each and the outer stringers are 9 layers each. The outer stringer laminates are thicker because there is less bend in them and they are 1 inch thinner than the inner stringers. So I have milled and glued up 48 layers with a total length of 1565' of fir. I ran out of fir and my wife and I had to go to Richmond so we went to R A Siewers Lumber Co which is the nicest building supply I have ever been in. I lived in Richmond many years ago and bought lumber from them in the late 70's . They have a wonderful supply of hardwoods and softwoods. They don't cater to boat builders but they have many woods that we can use. The only problem is all of their hardwoods are dressed.The good side of that is you can better tell what the wood is going to look like but I frequently can get slightly thicker wood by milling it myself.

I see your bow is sharp with raised chine at bow. Is Chesapeake deadrise completely different from Skipjack. Is it building term of construction difference?

Quote Originally Posted by LarixMaximus View Post
    I see your bow is sharp with raised chine at bow. Is Chesapeake deadrise completely different from Skipjack. Is it building term of construction difference?
    They are somewhat the same. i am not sure why mine is considered a deadrise. That is what the designer calls it.

Quote Originally Posted by waltwood View Post
    They are somewhat the same. i am not sure why mine is considered a deadrise. That is what the designer calls it.
    Thank you. What is your own definition of a deadrise, if different from the designer? Do you consider a chine starting from the forefoot below the waterline a disadvantage, and if so, why?

I consider this more of a deadrise. Sweden is a neat country!

I was not addressed, so forgive me Walt and Larix for jumping in uninvited.

A skipjack is generally a sailboat. A deadrise is a powerboat.

There may be structural and or design differences beyond ( or because of ) those different propulsion types. For instance, the high chine referenced is helpful for a faster boat.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hi Kevin. You are always welcome. I think we both knew one was sail and one was power. We were more discussing the chine characteristics. I call a deadrise a boat with a straight almost plumb stem with vertical staving as the forward hull planking splaying out flatter as you move aft.

Thank you Kevin and Waltwood. The distinction between power and sail regards to skipjack and deadrise was not known to me. It does not help that some Atkin designs he calls skipjack hulls that are power vessels only, hence my confusion. His Martha Green design with or without rig he calls a skipjack with a deadrise hull!

The sharper high chine is noted to be somewhat better, though i would have thought perhaps marginal on a sailing hull with limited speed.

Apologies for thread drift and thank you for knowledgable response, much to learn.

Walt, since you are a professional woodworker on the Eastern Shore, you may enjoy a story about my great-grandfather. He was a cabinetmaker, and lived on the ocean side near Quinby.

In those days, cabinetmakers made coffins, so he developed an undertaking business as a sideline. He also enjoyed a little practical joke now and then.

One dark night, he and a young apprentice made a house call to care for the mortal remains of a neighbor who had just passed away.

As they prepared the decedent for burial, my great-grandfather sent the apprentice outside to the wagon. He then crawled underneath the dead man's bed, so he could push up on the mattress.

When the apprentice returned to the bedroom, he received the shock of his life, for he saw the corpse sit bolt upright!

The apprentice took off running, and according to the oral history was never seen again on the Eastern Shore. Some folks claimed he stowed away on a steamboat bound across the Bay to Baltimore, where presumably the dead behave properly.

I hope you have this much fun in your business! I always enjoy your building threads.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Deadrise may mean/imply power nowadays but the term was originally used with sailboats that did the work in the bay before engines were put on em

According to Howard Chapelle, who wrote about her in the June 1943 issue of Yachting magazine, this striking deadrise hull was hammered together by a builder named Simmons in 1910 at Cambridge, Maryland. Mr. Chapelle took the lines off the old boat on September 11,1942 in the same town. We're told only that the hull construction was "of the usual Bay deadrise type." This suggests a V-bottom cross-planked in herringbone fashion with little internal framing.

https://www.boatbuilding.xyz/boat-de...ke-skiffs.html