Thread: Wooden/Mahogany boat incapsulated with Epoxy

Default Wooden/Mahogany boat incapsulated with Epoxy

I'm extremely interested into buying a new old boat.
    This guy is a 44 footer 1993-'97 Mahogany boat which is incapsulated in 2 layers 600gr epoxy resin mats. (outside AND inside, not the frames only in between the ribs not over and around them...), with all the needed layers of epoxy paints and coppercoat, etc.....
    This was done in 2005 after 2-3 years of drying inside a heated hall.
    The reason the seller told me to encapsulate, was to make it maintenance free, which to me is understandable, they had some trouble with the the boards coming loose from the frame, so they did a complete overhaul of the hull. (Including that incapsulating)

My main question is, can this be trusted ?
    I've read left right and center, a surveyor here can go all directions, it all depends on his skill level or equipment...so it's near impossible to gain any trust from an surveyor.
    I was thinking to hammer it myself to find dull spots and invest in a good moisture meter ? (pinless, as I can't destroy the very expensive coppercoat offc.)
    I need to add, this boat looks brand spanking new and the bilge has never seen moist what so ever.

$_86 (1).jpg

241149607_4925193994174957_4153091130030540198_n.jpg

241107867_4925194360841587_5502313886869074169_n.jpg

Default Re: Wooden/Mahogany boat incapsulated with Epoxy

Ummmm....I will watch with interest to see what the professionals have to say. My concern would be wondering about how well they addressed the "boards coming loose from the frame" which sounds like she needed refastening before coating. I've seen glass jobs all over the place...some extremely well done and some....not so much so. Nice find, though and I hope all pans out well for you!

First of all, welcome to the Forum Tekker!

The boat looks lovely, but have you maybe also got some pictures from the inside of the hull? I'm not talking of the interior arrangement but the hull itself, places where one can see a frame and the planks.

There is several question-marks, some of them also depend on what your plans are with this boat.

When boards (planks) come loose from a frame it's caused by the fasteners giving up, and there is two reasons why they give up. The usual reason is that the fastener overreached it's lifespan - in this case the fasteners have to be replaced or, if it's nails, doubled up. The second reason has to do with the frames. When a frame is in bad condition no fastener can hold, and there is heaps of reasons why a frame isn't doing his proper job any more. One of them is when the timber itself is damaged or rotten. Ahem, yes, sorry, three reasons, there is of course the possibility that the plank itself is rotten or damaged and doesn't hold fasteners any more in a proper way. Has this been taken care of how it should be done?

Now to the Epoxy-bit: when this boat has been sailed in saltwater before the Epoxy-job was done, the planks have salt-crystals in them and they can't be chased out with simply drying the hull. Drying is for Osmosis-Treatment on Fibreglass boats after heaps of washing with freshwater important, but you can't wash salt crystals out of timber. Once in there it stays in there. Salt attracts humidity. Humidity will get in somewhere but it can't get out because it's encapsulated more or less. As soon as the wood gets humid, it starts expanding and moving. It will break off from the epoxy in places and the trapped humidity will damage the timber. Do you know how pieces of rotten wood look and feel like? In the final stage it's like some dust left behind or some wet smear. This will not be the case everywhere, because the humidity can't get in everywhere. Be it a 1 m2 here and one there and there. Remember: these parts will be an outer and an inner shell with nothing structural in between. There is paint of course, so you won't spot it when it starts happening to give you a chance to prevent more damage. How do you think you can repair it? Properly I mean, without compromising the structure and strength?

This is not a maintenance-free solution as much as the owner believes in it to sell you the boat. If it's a maintenance-free hull you're after, let me tell you it doesn't exist. The closest you can get is a fibreglass boat, but this still needs polishing every now and again as long as you do what is in your forces to prevent osmosis. Or go for Aluminium as long as you've got your knowledge of electricity top notch. No polishing or painting needed. But don't hit something coz it's bloody difficult to find someone out there doing aluminium-welding when you're in the wrong spot and don't buy one with teak-decks and stainless screws to hold the teak in place ...
    Last edited by Dody; 09-18-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
    www.tongabonds.com

This is one of the bilge... Painted tho. But you can see the start of the 2 layers of fiberglass on the frameplank.

[IMG_20210903_151643471.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]95394[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Tekker; 09-18-2021 at 08:20 PM.