Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Selway Fisher Clyde 18

Default Re: Selway Fisher Clyde 18

I've got the cockpit sole board supports glued in. With a dry fit of the sole boards before I glued them it is certainly more rigid.

I have started to put a frame round the top of the locker edges. I used 25x45 and routed a 10mm groove to sit flush with the ply sides on the inside. I'll add a short width of 12mm to cover the gap between the ply and the 25x45. I'll add a 25x45 from side to side at the back of it so I can attach hinges to. I'll do something similar around the ply lid, perhaps a 25x25 around the perimeter to sit underneath and then glass the lid. I'll have a look at hinges so I can put timbers where they need to be.

20220516_210735.jpg

20220516_210208.jpg

Just thought, a better way to do this deck locker framing might be to put the timbers I've got dry fitted in the photo to the inside, and then use a smaller, thinner piece on the outside. When the lid is closed, this might appear less bulky.

I'll reverse the timbers I have(or if they're too short I'll trim them down and do the best I can with what I have, so that when the lid is closed you can't see the locker framing.

Coming along nicely.

A bit more work on the boat tonight. I reversed the frame I cut for the deck locker and trimmed 12mm off the height. There's a bit more to come off with a taper so I can get the lid to sit flush. I think it looks better than yesterday's attempt. I'll cut a piece of 12x 30 or so to glue to the outboard faces to cover the join between the ply and the inside frame. My plan then is to cut a piece of 24x40 to fit to the underside of the lid, this will cover this trim. I may as well glass the lid- I have the cloth here. I still need to put a horizontal timber to take the hinges- this will get epoxied to the cabin face.

I cut the hatches (one either side) in the wheelhouse sole. I debated for a while of where to put them. If I put them in the aft section I wouldn't be able to reach the forward section, and they'll get in the way of the step. If I put them between the forward set of bearers they'd be right in front of the cabin entrance. So I went for putting them in the middle section, with the inboard edge of the hatch about 100mm outboard of the centreline.I have some ply doublers to glue in on the underside of the hole.

20220517_211739.jpg

I'd be tempted to put as few hatches in the sole that I could get away with - none preferably. Except for a hatch that allows access to the sterntube & sterngland.

Quite a few motor boats only have the sole lifted once a year to extract stale sandwich crusts & dog hairs!! Why do I know this.......................................?

Regards Neil

I agree Neil. This boat will be outboard powered so there will be no sterngland/tube. The Surveyor and Paul who drew the boat have suggested having access to vent the spaces - I'm sure it's not a bad thing. I've cut one hatch in each of the 4 compartments under the cockpit sole and one under each side of the wheelhouse sole.

I've now got the cockpit sole boards glued in. I'll glass this over and then it's on to the outboard splash well.

20220522_160335.jpg

Conscious the photos I post are always full of tools, wood shavings etc. I cleaned up a bit tonight before finishing the fillets on the outboard edge of the wheelhouse sole boards. I took some photos with the boat in a better shape. The workshop is still pretty busy- I don't have much space so it's always pretty cluttered.

20220523_202740.jpg

20220523_202759.jpg

20220523_202828.jpg

20220523_202921.jpg

20220523_203038.jpg

Sorry about the angles, my workshop is pretty small so hard to get all the boat in the photo.

I finished filleting the outboard edge of the wheelhouse sole boards so I can glass cloth them. After that I'll do the splash well for the outboard. Then it'll be time to finish the wheelhouse sides and cabin cladding- they go on the boat in one piece. I get in and out the boat in the wheelhouse so when I put the sides on I'll be climbing in over the cockpit benches. I will have to chop off the wheelhouse to get the boat out, Paul has drawn the line of where to do that.

I will have to chop off the wheelhouse to get the boat out, Paul has drawn the line of where to do that.
    It's coming along very nicely. I've wondered about these types of boats and their standing-room wheelhouses in general. Once on a trailer, most will not fit into a standard-size garage. Will your wheelhouse be refastened permanently, or be removable whenever needed?

I've wondered if one could make a wheelhouse with front glass that hinges forward and then a top that drops to deck level for transit and storage.
    -Dave

Just wondering if you have seen the Off Center Harbor website videos about fibreglassing, filleting, etc........................ I watched them yesterday and am now looking for 3mm plastic to make some angled sharp scrapers to remove excess. Videos are great imho.

Dave- I think I'm just going to re-fasten it permanently. I have literally 30mm (can just fit the thickness of my hand) between the door and the stem, so when it's on a trailer I won't get the door closed. When its on the trailer I think it'll be pretty close between the top of the cabin and the door frame- the belt runs right up the middle. I'll make some basic shelter when I need to do maintenance/repairs etc

Neil- I havent seen them- but I'll have a look- cheers. I have watched the WEST ones which I've followed to do what I have done so far.

Hello bl,

I've been silent but have continued to enjoy your progress photos.
    AND, what progress you've made in just a year!!!
    It's an interesting boat and I'll be glad to hear how you enjoy using it!
    As speedy as you are that might even be soon!

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    It's coming along very nicely. I've wondered about these types of boats and their standing-room wheelhouses in general. Once on a trailer, most will not fit into a standard-size garage. Will your wheelhouse be refastened permanently, or be removable whenever needed?

I've wondered if one could make a wheelhouse with front glass that hinges forward and then a top that drops to deck level for transit and storage.
    Locally,and purely intended for inland use,this type of pivoted canopy used to be very common.Combined with folding screen sections it allowed the boats to pass under low bridges.

Thanks Alan, I'm spending a couple of hours 2 or 3 nights a week and half a day at the weekend.

I just plod away and get done what I can. I'm on the home straight now, I think. I've the splashwell, finish the cabin, gunwales and bits and pieces to do and then I'll be painting and electrics and motor install.

I think (hope!) it'll be quite a practical boat. Self draining cockpit, wide side decks, covered wheelhouse, cabin for resting and she's quite beamy at 8' - pretty much a whole sheet. Paul has done a good job- the plans have everything needed and it's been relatively straightforward to build. There's always the odd puzzle, but that's the enjoyment- something to think about that's not the day job

I've got the lid for the foredeck locker cut and have some timbers to cover the exposed ply edge on the forward and side faces gluing up just now.

The other job I want to tackle before I get the cabin and wheelhouse structure on is the splashwell. I had a measure up and made some cardboard templates to see what would work... I've cut the hatches mid way between the centreline and the inboard face of the side benches. This has caused me a but of a complication in that the point where I want the forward face of the splashwell to meet the sides is over the hatches- almost in the middle.
    I have about 360mm between the hatch frames- not quite enough.

I'm thinking the best way to get round this is to arch the corners over the hatches. It would be handy to be able to use the space under the sloping flat piece of ply between the forward face of the well and the sole.

All help and ideas are most welcome

Here's a photo- I drew lines on the sole to see what could be built as is, but its too narrow. The drawing is a bit more like what I think would work

20220528_151134.jpg

20220526_053227.jpg

Just finished a few jobs. I've cut the hole in the forward face of the foredeck locker and added some doublers either side. This will allow the chain to pass through so the lid can be closed with the chain out. I finished the locker lid so glassed that...

20220529_174042.jpg

20220529_173926.jpg

Coming along nicely.

Thanks Oldad!

I've been working away on the splashwell, but tbh it looks a bit of a dogs dinner at the moment. Once I've got it all done I'll post up the photos- good and bad! I'm sure others can learn from my mistakes! One being that the aft set of sole hatches are too close to the centreline to leave a big enough space for the splashwell.

I've been working away over the last week on the splashwell. The main body of the well is 450mm x 450mm. From the engines I looked at online and the measurements from a friends boat, this size seems adequate. I still need to drill for the drains, but I'll do that when the boats outside and I have some room.

I should have moved the aft hatches outboard a bit. This would've saved me a bit of fiddly plywood work. It's a bit annoying, because I knew I had to move them- I just forgot. Still, I am where I am!

20220606_212838.jpg

20220606_212856.jpg

Just finished gluing up the quarter knees- 4 laminates of 12mm ply with 350mm arms. I'll cut two drainholes on them either side of the transom frame work so it doesn't become a water trap. I'll get them fitted to the boat over the next day or two.
    I put epoxy and glass cloth in the wheelhouse on the inside of the hull skin, outboard of the sole. The sole doesn't run to the top hull panel, so I thought it was worth doing.

Attachment 112953

I have cut a backing pad of 12mm ply to go on the inside of the transom on the port side. I've cut it to fill the space inside the locker- this makes the transom 3 layers of 12mm ply in this area. I'll be fitting a bracket to take a small (4 or 5 hp) auxiliary outboard.

I made a little trolley to take the main outboard until I'm ready to fit it. Just 4"2" with 4 of the castors from the building jig

20220610_165835.jpg

That well looks good.... short shaft motor...?

Cheers- bit of a fiddly job doing that, think it looks ok. I'm glad I knocked the corners off- softens it a bit from the plywood box it is. Its 20 inches from the top of the outboard beam to the bottom of the hull planking at the lowest point so a long shaft outboard will go on.

You had me worried there!! Just checked the drawings in as many places as I could that I've got it in the right place.

I spent a while looking at the drawings last year when I was getting ready to cut out the transom for the motor.

We're all good! The cockpit is self draining, so it is 100mm above the waterline. On the centreline, there is 360mm between the cockpit sole and the bottom of the central girder/lowest part of the hull planking. The beam has about 150mm of its 175mm showing above the sole. 360, plus 150mm gives me 510mm, or 20 inches....hopefully!!

Gotta keep you on your toes......

Got the quarter knees glued in- the top 2 laminates are larger than the bottom 2, and sit in the channel I cut in the inwale and transom frame. I cut a slight radius on the free edge.

Not sure if it can be seen from the photo, but inside the port locker, against the transom is another 12mm ply piece glued in. I'll put the auxiliary motor bracket on this side.

I'll have a clean up of the workshop and then I think it's the wheelhouse build.

20220613_204546.jpg

I've been working away- I have the side bench tops cut and sheathed in glass cloth and epoxy. I've got the centre roof section of the cabin cut and glued on, and the wheelhouse/cabin sides dry fitted.

20220623_180016.jpg

Yahooooo! Looking good. Seems like a sweet craft for anchoring and napping through some rain.

-Derek

Liberty 53

Scamp #169

Cheers! I've loved building this boat- a brilliant way to spend a couple of evenings a week.

I wanted to build a practical boat for our wet Scottish summers- I'm pretty pleased with how she's turning out.

In the latest issue of Yachting Monthly there’s a beautiful picture of West Scottish heather in all the colours of rainbow. You’re so lucky. Just the sort of boat need for that area. Sooo jealous.

Coming together....
    Ready to see her hit the water....

I've got the cabin carlins glued on. I can see me whacking my leg off them when I go forward so I've left them an inch or two behind the cabin roof panel, so I can taper them in to the wheelhouse sides. Next job is get these tapered and then glue on the roof panels.

20220626_141724.jpg

Just made a 1st attempt at the cutout marking for the polycarbonate. I plan to use the rubber seals to fit them- that's one of the neater ways I've seen to do it. I haven't looked at the specific sizes of the seals, but thinking to leave enough ply on the sides for the frame, the seal plus 25mm. I've got about 100mm as I've marked so I think I'll be able to remove another bit, particularly on the forward cutout on the wheelhouse. I know how annoying large pillars are on cars.

20220626_190238.jpg

20220626_190314.jpg