Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Meachen
    • Jan 2004

Re: Selway Fisher Clyde 18

I always thin that getting them turned over is a very important sign of progress.Its a boat now!

Comment

• biglad
      • Dec 2010

I did a little bit tonight, starting to cut the sole bearers. I'm climbing in and out like a yo yo!! I've a little bench I keep beside the boat with the tools, timbers etc so I can work on a few at a time. A notepad with simple diagrams and parts labelled so I know which bit goes where. Once I've a reasonable amount I'll have a gluing session and epoxy a batch in.

Comment

• biglad
        • Dec 2010

Cut the locker fronts tonight. Theyre just dry fitted- still to cut the framing and get them glued up. I can then epoxy some timbers to locker fronts and then run the floors from the central spine out to these timbers.

They're a good size- 4 in total, 2 each side separated by a frame, and each one of the 4 is 900mm wide x 600-650mm deep and about 480mm front to back.

I did think about putting a false floor in them so they'd be self draining. This would mean losing space and then the false floor would need an inspection hatch so the space under the locker floor could be aired.

I need to cut out the extra timber above the seat level that's in the middle of the cockpit.- I'll keep it flush with the seat. I had half an idea of running the side decks all the way to the transom, but I'm not going to bother.

I need to think about boxing round the cutout in the transom up to (or close to) gunwale level. Maybe a trip to a boatyard to get some dimensions and ideas on ways to do that. If anyone has photos/ideas how to do it they'd be most welcome.20211123_200842.jpg

Comment

• Woxbox
          • Feb 2006

Do the plans call for foam flotation so she can't sink? That would be good use for the bottom half of those lockers
          -Dave

Comment

• biglad
            • Dec 2010

Yes, I've spoken to the designer about flotation. The void underneath the sole is an ideal place for foam as well- it's not usable for much else.

I could either use closed cell foam blocks/sheets that can be taken out to vent the space. Or I could use a 2 part foam mixture to completely fill the space which would also help support the floor.

In the lockers I could use the 2 part foam to fill it slightly higher than the sole, then let the locker drain into the cockpit, and out through the transom. Save water from fenders etc sitting at the bottom of the locker.

Comment

• Mike-in-Suffolk
              • Jun 2021

The thought of spray foam in a boat gives me the heebie-jeebies. Moisture WILL get in there in the end, and will sit trapped and unseen for years. Think of the next person working on the boat in a decade or two who is going to have to try to remove that foam, even if only to check to see that the compartment is dry. He'll be cursing the boatbuilder. An airtight chamber with a sealing hatch for inspection will do a better job for (probably) less money, and of course, is easily repairable.

Comment

• biglad
                • Dec 2010

I've read some horror stories about spray foam - boats creaking as it expands, the intense heat it creates. That worries me a bit.

Air tight chambers will work under the sole - there are 4 so I can put a hatch in each.

The lockers go right down to the hull skin, so could either put a false floor in them and a hatch, or leave them as is. Epoxy coat them and accept water will get in them from wet stuff eg fenders etc and air them when I can.

Comment

• neil.henderson
                  • May 2015

I try to avoid putting wet stuff in lockers if I can possibly avoid it - all stuff I need to access quickly (lines, fenders, boat hook) are all accessible in the boat. A neat trick I copied from a friend was to make boxes which slope away from inboard under thwarts to hold the fenders. Just reach under the thwart and bisto there's the fender. I find them very useful. I have them installed under the aft thwart in Bella my 17' motor launch. Lines are on wooden cleats under the sidedecks.

Good Luck Regards Neil

Comment

• biglad
                    • Dec 2010

Thats a good plan Neil, thanks. There's a small space either side of where the splashwell will be between here and the inboard edge of the cockpit seat. This could be an ideal space for fenders to be stored. The side decks extend aft of the wheelhouse- cleats could go under here for the lines.

Comment

• biglad
                      • Dec 2010

I glued up the locker fronts today. Decided to leave these full depth and will use them for dry storage. Theres going going to be a 250mmx 450mm space between the
                      locker fronts and the sides of the splashwell where some wet stuff can go. I need to put the cleats on the hull for the ply seats/locker tops and a timber down the centre of the lockers to support the deck hatches, but I need20211130_181736.jpg to get them first so I can cut the framing to size.20211130_181919.jpg

Comment

• Alan71
                        • Aug 2018

Hello bl,

As folks on the Forum post on occasion... "I don't know how I've missed your thread? ".

Very interesting photos and notes, and good progress on a nifty looking boat!

I'll be watching too.

Regards,
                        Alan

Comment

• biglad
                          • Dec 2010

Alan- Feel free to chime in with thoughts- good or bad I won't be offended!

Have to say I'm enjoying this part more than the hull build. I'm working in a tight space and handling the long planks was a bit of a challenge!

Comment

• biglad
                            • Dec 2010

I've been looking online at other boats and measuring the boat for the splash well in front of the transom.

I've come up with a couple of options - other ideas are very welcome!

Option 1: Floor the whole cockpit and then put a bulkhead in, starting 275 mm forward of the transom on the floor and slope it forward 150mm to allow the outboard to swing up. This would be pretty tidy but means the lower outboard mounting bolts will be under the floor. Though I will have hatches so they can be got at. The top of the outboard beam will be about 150mm above the floor. It's a 175mm wide beam and the floor sits about 25mm above the bottom of it.

Option2: Cofferdam the area and accept water will sit in a pool at the transom. I like this idea less but does mean the engine mounts are visible.

Whatever way I go I'll have a longitudinal ply piece either side between this new bulkhead and the inboard point on the transom, just before the cut out. I'll have drains through the transom with cover flaps.

Comment

• biglad
                              • Dec 2010

I'm just about to order the hatches. For access to the small space between the first frame and the bow I'm thinking 200mm round hatches with the 'O' ring and screw type lids, one either side of the central girder. This is just for occasional access.

For access to the flotation space under the sole, I'm thinking 300x200mm hatches with lids which cover the screw holes. There are 'flush' fitting ones available which have rounded/sloped lids but in reality and from tech specs I see, the lid would sit about 15mm above the sole. I'll use 4 of these in the cockpit, one under each section and 2 in the cabin. In the covered 'wheelhouse' section I'm planning on fitting ply seat boxes, so will probably fit the floors to build the boxes off but not bother with a sealed floor, it's a pretty small space and will make mopping water easy.

The lockers measure c800 x 500mm so I'm planning on using the 'flush' hatches - size about 500x 280mm.

Here's a link to the sort of 'flush' hatch I'm looking at: https://www.asap-supplies.com/produc...x-265mm-814302

Do these look a sensible choice? I know they will sit slightly proud of the sole, but will it be an issue? I guess I can always fit a grate/duckboards to level off the floor if they become a sensible choice.

Comment

• Oldad
                                • Jan 2008

Just be aware that most of these hatches are not waterproof. Love the build, post more pics, please....

Comment

Working...