Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilgrim, a Down East-style Picnic Boat, Free to a Good Home

Default Pilgrim, a Down East-style Picnic Boat, Free to a Good Home

First, I hope I may be forgiven for posting this here as this boat is not "for sale" in the traditional sense. My Dad is trying to find a new home for his boat, Pilgrim and is looking to gift her to someone with the knowledge and dedication to care for her. She is currently in dry storage at Ocean House Boatyard in Southwest Harbor, Mount Desert Island, Maine.

Here is what he has to say about her:

Pilgrim is a 25 foot wooden boat finished out in downeast style, with a trunk cabin forward, steering shelter and open stern section. The engine is mounted amidships under an engine box, just aft of the helm. As far as I know (there is no documentation other than the Maine State registration), the hull was built in 1946 by Richardson. Whether it was then finished off by Richardson is anyone's guess, but I have not been able to find any Richardson finished off in this configuration, i.e., downeast lobsterboat style. One theory is that the hull was purchased from Richardson, perhaps as surplus after Richardson's wartime contracts were fulfilled, and finished off by the first owner.

Pilgrim has a good condition, used, Chrysler Crown engine with a 1.5:1 reduction gear. The engine has new mounts but needs to be installed. The gear is dismantled and ready for a rebuild.

In 2000 Pilgrim underwent extensive structural repairs including sistering of broken frames, new steering shelter and new trunk cabin roof. She subsequently had extensive garboard replacement, including most of the port and about a third of the starboard planks. In 2010 Pilgrim's aft sections and transom were extensively rebuilt, with new oak framing in the transom and new topside planking with white pine. At the same time new rub rails and toe rails were installed and also a new sampson post. Pilgrim's planking is now a combination of pine and mahogany, with mixed fastenings.

In August 2018 some deterioration of the lower end of the stem was discovered along with possible deterioration of the forefoot. The deterioration consists primarily of serious checking in the grain of the oak. Planks in this area of the bow on the port side were coming unfastened. The plank ends have been repaired but the lower stem and forefoot will have to be restored at some point. In addition there is some rot in the aft deck coaming and at some point the planking should be refastened where it is fastened with iron.

Pilgrim has been dry stored for five years but, other than the problems noted above, the hull is in good condition. The major projects required at this time to make the boat seaworthy are repairs to the bow, the reduction gear rebuild and installation of the engine.

Pilgrim is free to an owner who is committed to repairing this lovely boat and keeping her alive.
    I'll add that Pilgrim is a great little boat. If I did not already have two large boats I would be trying to find a way to get her out to the West Coast and keep her in the family. While she does need a bit of work I would not say she needs to be "restored" as much as she needs to be recommissioned.

This photo was taken in 2014 when we pulled the old engine. I think it reflects her current condition although I haven't seen her in person for a couple of years:

And here are a few older shots of her:

And one of the replacement Crown that comes with the boat:

Anyone interested in seeing Pilgrim or talking about her further please PM me.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Default Re: Pilgrim, a Down East-style Picnic Boat, Free to a Good Home

Looks like a nice boat Chris, wish I could take it.

That would indeed make a sweet Salish Sea gunkholer.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Wow! What a generous offer and a wonderful opportunity.
    She’s a nice looking boat.

Beauty...
    aaarrrgh....

What a nice boat. I’m sure she’ll find the right owner.

Thanks everyone. She really is a neat boat. Not part of my childhood, as I was grown and gone by the time my Dad bought her, but my younger brother and sister both grew up with her as the main transport between MDI and Little Cranberry Island, where they lived growing up. I wish we could find a way to keep her but my brother is raising a new family and working for Crowley in the Gulf so has no time or resources for boats, my little sister is in college and has even less time, and I have two boats already. So there you go. She needs a new home.
    - Chris

You might consider donating the boat to the Maine island Trail Association. We did so with one we had, they refurbished it, used it for a few years as an island support boat and then sold it to support their mission: https://mita.org/boatsforsale/
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

A lovely boat; I wish I had time/place/money to giver her a home. A fried is looking for a boat, though, and I have forwarded this thread to him.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    You might consider donating the boat to the Maine island Trail Association. We did so with one we had, they refurbished it, used it for a few years as an island support boat and then sold it to support their mission: https://mita.org/boatsforsale/
    That's a good idea - I'll run if by Dad and see what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    A lovely boat; I wish I had time/place/money to giver her a home. A fried is looking for a boat, though, and I have forwarded this thread to him.
    Thanks Michael. Let me know if he would like any more info, photos, etc. Happy to provide.
    - Chris

If I didn’t have the Rambler I’d seriously consider taking this on.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Bumping this thread just in case anyone is thinking that they need another boat. My Dad and his wife are in the process of selling their house and moving off of Little Cranberry Island so Pilgrim needs to find a new home. I'm trying not to think things like "Pilgrim is a great picnic boat. We would like a picnic boat for day cruising around Seattle. Hmmm. I could find another home for Petrel and have Pilgrim trucked out to Seattle..."
    - Chris

There you go!!! Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    There you go!!! Do it.
    Oh boy. Tempting. Not sure how I'd explain that one to my wife though. Maybe "Pilgrim is smaller and easier to maintain... And she needs less work than Petrel. Really! Just needs the engine put back in. And the gearbox rebuilt. And maybe some refastening... And... and... hmph."

Yeah. I don't see that going very well.
    - Chris

I can't believe you still have it actually. Is it trailerable? As crazy as it might seem my 89 year old father wants a boat to go out on the Schuylkill River. Of course I'd end up with the maintenance and it would be like owning 2 boats....
    Last edited by navydog; 03-19-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Oh boy. Tempting. Not sure how I'd explain that one to my wife though. Maybe "Pilgrim is smaller and easier to maintain... And she needs less work than Petrel. Really! Just needs the engine put back in. And the gearbox rebuilt. And maybe some refastening... And... and... hmph."

Yeah. I don't see that going very well.
    You would by necessity have to relinquish ownership of Petrol first.

I can't believe you still have it actually. Is it trailerable? As crazy as it might seem my 89 year old father wants a boat to go out on the Schuylkill River. Of course I'd end up with the maintenance and it would be like owning 2 boats....
    Sure I suppose you could trailer Pilgrim given all the caveats about storing a carvel boat out of the water. She's 25' so it would take a trailer and tow rig of a certain size as well. But doable.

You would by necessity have to relinquish ownership of Petrol first.
    Yes... I broached the subject and I didn't get an immediate no from my wife but Dash doesn't want to give Petrel up so there's that difficulty to overcome. In any case I reached out to be Dad for an update on Pilgrim and will report back here on what I find out.
    - Chris

Sure I suppose you could trailer Pilgrim given all the caveats about storing a carvel boat out of the water. She's 25' so it would take a trailer and tow rig of a certain size as well. But doable.
    The boat wouldn't be required to come out of the water frequently, there are slips available. The location requires it as there is no other method available to get in and out. It's a length of the river between dams. I'm not positive there is a route with the clearance to get it there, although there are a few other large boats at the site. I believe they are not as tall being cigarette's.

.. I broached the subject and I didn't get an immediate no from my wife but Dash doesn't want to give Petrel up so there's that difficulty to overcome. In any case I reached out to be Dad for an update on Pilgrim and will report back here on what I find out.

As important as our children are and our desire for them to be happy, some decisions are above their pay grade. That's my position anyway and it worked for me. Plus when Dash reaches the age where he wants to take the boat out alone with his friends Pilgrim will be easier to handle.
    Last edited by navydog; 03-20-2019 at 06:32 AM.

As important as our children are and our desire for them to be happy, some decisions are above their pay grade. That's my position anyway and it worked for me. Plus when Dash reaches the age where he wants to take the boat out alone with his friends Pilgrim will be easier to handle.
    Oh, absolutely. But I know from experience that these things come with some cost to domestic tranquility. Case in point, we fostered a puppy for a while last year. Which was fine and Dash knew that we weren't going to be able to keep the dog but there were still plenty of tears when we found it a permanent home. But being able to let go of things is something he has to learn sooner or later. And being able to let go of boats is a particularly important skill. One I am still learning...
    - Chris

But being able to let go of things is something he has to learn sooner or later. And being able to let go of boats is a particularly important skill. One I am still learning...
    Quoted for TRUTH. Man.

I have a niece (through marriage) that still has family on Little Cranberry. Last name is Ally (that's close). Her mom still goes after lobster and her brother takes lobster and some big fish - can't remember whether it was tuna or swordfish or . . . ? Her father paints and has won several duck stamp contests. I don't know whether she or her brother might be interested but I will forward this to them.

Gary

Chris is this really doable for one of us in the PNW? I'm currently debating a new build but Pilgrim could be a nice substitute. Twenty five feet is right in the ballpark for size. It would fit into my shop but I know diddly about carvel. Have you looked into shipping? That can't be cheap.

Temptation is difficult....

Jeff

Just got a quote of $2300.00 to move her to Norwalk CT. Cant imagine what it would cost to cross the country.

Temptation is indeed a strong force...

Freight is a funny game, but that boat is small enough it might be able to find a ride on a LTL truck bed rather than a dedicated yacht hauler. You'd want to fly out and make sure the cradle was built just right though. Still cheaper than a yacht hauler, will need a friend with a forklift to load it.

Or find somebody with an F350 and rent a car-hauling flatbed. Road trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    I have a niece (through marriage) that still has family on Little Cranberry. Last name is Ally (that's close). Her mom still goes after lobster and her brother takes lobster and some big fish - can't remember whether it was tuna or swordfish or . . . ? Her father paints and has won several duck stamp contests. I don't know whether she or her brother might be interested but I will forward this to them.

Gary
    Thanks Gary. She's pretty well-known in Islesford as she has a mooring in the harbor. With her yellow hull she stands out, and she has been the subject of several paintings, post cards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Chris is this really doable for one of us in the PNW? I'm currently debating a new build but Pilgrim could be a nice substitute. Twenty five feet is right in the ballpark for size. It would fit into my shop but I know diddly about carvel. Have you looked into shipping? That can't be cheap.

Temptation is difficult....

Jeff
    I'd think so Jeff? Using the uShip cost estimator I get somewhere around $3500 to ship Pilgrim from Maine to Seattle. Not cheap, but in boat dollars I think it's not unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Just got a quote of $2300.00 to move her to Norwalk CT. Cant imagine what it would cost to cross the country.

Temptation is indeed a strong force...
    Jordan, I used the uShip calculator and got an estimate of a bit over $600 for Maine to Norwalk. Which seems a bit more realistic to me. I think the main challenge is that you would need a trailer that could handle the full skeg, or a cradle and a flat bed.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Freight is a funny game, but that boat is small enough it might be able to find a ride on a LTL truck bed rather than a dedicated yacht hauler. You'd want to fly out and make sure the cradle was built just right though. Still cheaper than a yacht hauler, will need a friend with a forklift to load it.

Or find somebody with an F350 and rent a car-hauling flatbed. Road trip!
    I had this thought too. Take a friend and a couple of weeks and bring her back on a trailer.

I'm still waiting on my Dad to respond regarding current status of Pilgrim and more photos. Will post details when I have them.
    - Chris

I contacted a local boat hauler. He has moved boats for me in the past. The price includes delivery and blocking up on jackstands in the yard.
    Ive never moved a boat more than thirty miles so didnt have anything to compare to. Seems like a lot of money.

you would need a trailer that could handle the full skeg, or a cradle and a flat bed.
    Most haulers ( well, I know two) use hydraulic trailers with articulating bunks to accommodate boats of different shape/ draft.

Also, for a long haul, ask whether toe vehicle's exhaust is carried aft, to the end of the trailer. Boat will be less sooty if they have that rig ( especially if boat is wrapped or under cover)

Finally, make sure, if the boat is shrink-wrapped for the journey to protect it, that they know what they are doing in the first place and that the driver will check it's condition everyday. Flapping material can do some damage at highway speeds.

Kevin

EDIT: To protect the stem and bow topsides from bugs and road tar: apply a coat of wax, but don't buff it off until the end of trip.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I contacted a local boat hauler. He has moved boats for me in the past. The price includes delivery and blocking up on jackstands in the yard.
    Ive never moved a boat more than thirty miles so didnt have anything to compare to. Seems like a lot of money.
    Yes. I think that's a lot. I spent less than half that amount to ship a vintage car from Montana to Seattle a few years ago, for example. I know that the boat transporter I've used out here charges a flat rate by hour, which get's really costly for long moves. uShip will probably get you a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Most haulers ( well, I know two) use hydraulic trailers with articulating bunks to accomodate boats of different shape/ draft.

Also, for a long haul, ask whether toe vehicle's exhaust is carried aft, to the end of the trailer. Boat will be less sooty if they have that rig ( especially of boat is wrapped or under cover)

Finally, make sure, if the boat is shrink-wrapped for the journey to protect it, that they know what they are doing in the first place and that the driver will check it's condition everyday. Flapping material can do some damage at highway speeds.

Kevin

To protect the stem and bow topsides from bugs and road tar: apply a coat of wax, but don't buff it off until the
    Kevin, regarding the hydraulic trailer. Yes, that's been my experience out here as well, but only for boats a lot bigger than Pilgrim. I don't know if there are other, possibly less-costly, options for a smaller boat?
    - Chris

The guys I use have a couple of the hydraulic trailers with the bunks and pads. They understand wooden boats which is a big plus.

Any lowboy used for heavy equipment would work with a cradle. If the cradle is designed properly the boat could be off loaded by pulling the boat right down the ramps. F350's have about 18,000 lbs of towing capacity so matching a trailer and to the boat and keeping it under that figure is all that needs to be done
    Last edited by navydog; 03-21-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Kevin, regarding the hydraulic trailer. Yes, that's been my experience out here as well, but only for boats a lot bigger than Pilgrim. I don't know if there are other, possibly less-costly, options for a smaller boat?
    I'm talking about a guy using a dually pickup and hauling one boat at a time between 20-35 feet or so. Common around here for local hauling, since the hydraulic trailer allows one man to pick up a boat off blocks without a helper ( and put it back in the fall). Many of these guys will take long haul deliveries as time and season permits. These have air shocks, too, a nice feature. Certainly there are bigger rigs.

I was just positing that someone with the equipment might be more cost effective than building a cradle and flatbedding on a low boy. Probably a wash cost wise, except that the guy with the hydraulic trailer has some boat experience ( probably)

Kevin

Editing: Amending my post upon further reflection: You probably want a cradle, or some custom support, anyway, for a wood boat of this vintage going cross-continent.

K
    Last edited by Breakaway; 03-21-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If the person interested in moving the boat had a suitable truck, they could move the boat for the cost of fuel, hotels, food and the cost of building a cradle. A trailer can be purchased for the move then resold on completion. For example. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362419498467
    Last edited by navydog; 03-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post

Gary
    Gary, my Dad read through the thread just now and had this response to your post:

The name is Alley.
    The niece is Ashley.
    The father who paints and has won the duck stamp competition is Rick Alley. Rick is still lobstering.
    The lobsterman brother is Jeremy Alley, his boat is Lobstar.
    I doubt any of the Alley's would be interested in Pilgrim. A slow, wooden boat? Nah!
    But it would be interesting to see what response Gary gets from the Alley family. And I see Rick almost every day so I'll ask him if he knows Gary.
    Edit: I had no idea what a "Duck Stamp Contest" might be so I looked it up. And now I know. Learn something new every day...
    - Chris

Hey Chris. I doubt Rick remember me. I met him once at the wedding on the island. Ashley and her husband live near Ft. Collins CO. I see her at least once a year - at Christmas. Her mother came out for Christmas this year and normally Jeremy comes as well.

I forwarded the string to Ashley and she said she will forward on to Jeremy. He and I talk about wooden boats a bit at Christmas - just thought he might have some interest. And yeah Rick is an incredible waterfowl artist.

Gary

A friend, posts as MMD, sent me the link. Could you please email me so we can discuss more.
    petr.brozek@outlook.com
    Thank you,
    PetrB