Thread: Skin On Frame, Vintage Inuit Style Homemade Baidarka

Thumbs up Skin On Frame, Vintage Inuit Style Homemade Baidarka

Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks for taking a second on a question from a newbie. I recently inherited a homemade Baidarka with hand painted accents. I believe itís around 16ft. I believe it was made anywhere between 35-60 years ago maybe even older? Any ideas on that?

It was made after an enthusiast wooden boat builder traveled to Alaska and learned Baidarka design from the locals. My simple question is where might I find a rough value for the Baidarka? I cannot find anything similar for sale online. I found a few pictures of similar boats but nothing for sale.

This is not an advertisement, but please let me know if this type of question is appropriate in this section?

I apologize for the bad pictures, itís hanging in the garage and I cannot take it down by myself.

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7584.jpg

Thanks Again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Skin On Frame, Vintage Inuit Style Homemade Baidarka

Here are a couple more angles:

IMG_7578.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7577.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

Cheers!

I built a very similar baidarka about 8 years ago. Not being the real deal - just amateur copies - I don't think these sort of boats have any particular value at all. If yours is as old as you think, it probably needs a new skin before it can be used. Although I do doubt it's that old.

FYI, the Aleuts made Baidarkas, not the Inuit. The more often copied Inuit boats look quite different -- the traditional skin-on-frame kayak.
    -Dave

Check into the forum on the QAJAQ USA website. There are a few commercial builders of SOF's but most are built by amateurs. Few are sold. Nice and unusual paint on the deck. Covered in canvas, the canvas may not be as strong as it once was. If you have any information about the builder, that would be interesting.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

What they said. Nice boat, though, and well crafted.

My baidarka that I built is my favourite kayak, but it lacks features that most prospective purchasers of sea kayaks would want: waterproof compartments with hatches for easy stowage and retrieval, a foot-controlled rudder, an adjustable seat. This greatly limits the potential market.

Also, some baidarkas are built with traditional body-related dimensions and therefore are optimized for a single individual. It that is the case here, then the boat may not fit others well.

Ultimately, any boat is worth what someone will pay for it, but given the above and what the others have said, I think you will have a difficult time finding a buyer.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.Ē
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca