Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3121314 LastLast

Thread: This is a jazz thread

Default Re: This is a jazz thread

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here's some Gypsy Jazz. That's a friend on stand up. He's also played with Bela Fleck. Retired young from the touring life, works at Reed College, and is raising a family --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

A new page!

Graduating students from Berkley and John McLaughlin.

Last edited by Hallam; 10-24-2022 at 05:52 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

This one's pushing it to a bit of an extreme........

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Another favorite. Sonny Rollins - Blue 7

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Some new music. Pianist Gerald Clayton and vocalist MARO. They are not a regular duo, they are independent artists. But this piece is just beautiful.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Very nice, Pipes!
    Nice to see you, as well.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

In spite if itís power to occasionally corrupt, YouTube is a pretty amazing resource and pretty much a bottomless vault of almost anything we may want to see or hear. It knows I like Oscar Peterson, so it fed me a multi part video of Andre Previn interviewing Peterson at the piano. Highly recommended and easy to find.

In the discussion there were several references to Art Tatum as an influence, so pretty easy to search YouTube for some Art Tatum listening. They also mentioned Nat Cole. Iíve long been a fan of Nat Cole and remember watching his old tv shows as a kid. But I mostly remember him as a singer at the piano, and forgotten what a brilliant solo jazz pianist he was. YouTube to the rescue again.

Thumbs up Re: This is a jazz thread

Wish I could play the Sax like Mr. Elliot.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

One of my favourite jazz standards by one of my favourite bands.

Nice, Harry!

Something smooth to wake up to --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

This is, I think, even better than the original. A killer good trumpet solo by Gerard Presencer (I think he was 17 or 18 when he recorded it) at the end, too. You gots to listen to the end!

Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

That was good. I wonder if they’ve even heard of Jon Hendricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Miller View Post
    That was good. I wonder if they’ve even heard of Jon Hendricks.
    The album that's from used samples from Blue Note Records--and only samples from Blue Note. In fact, that album was the very first platinum record for Blue Note, who cooperated with Us3 and gave permission to use their samples. I suspect they knew a lot about jazz. One of the more successful jazz-hip hop pairings I've heard with that particular track.

I have to say I'm biased toward horn players--trumpet in particular--and now relistening to this track, I've been reintroduced to Gerard Presencer, who is from the UK and works a lot around Europe. Maybe I'll get to catch him in concert. A bit more from him and a Danish big band:

Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Default This is a jazz thread

I did not realize that John Williams early career was rooted in jazz particularly for him as a piano player. He just turned 90. What an amazing catalogue as a composer!!! In his early career he was known as Johnny Williams.
    [video=youtube;uEct7NSD5SI] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uEct7NSD5SI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by garland reese; 11-06-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Since getting into a whole heap of DIY audio equipment, jazz has never sounded better. I actually got into it over the last decade during bouts of listeners block. Where listening to the repeats of the past yet again, just didn't sound enticing. MTV and the 'hair' band era drove me back to classic rock again and again, as did pretty much anything that came out in the '90s and beyond as well.

This artist was one of the gems I found. Oddly enough, it was Dick Parry from Pink Floyd that awakened my ear to the saxophone, and again with the intro from the TV series "Mike Hammer" (Harlem Nocturne) did as well. More so the tenor saxophone. That tone coming through some high quality speakers is absolutely riveting. Sometimes, just the thought of it drives me to have a listening session.

Another favorite is Arne Domnerus. This album is great, along with "Antiphone Blues," which was recorded at Spanga Church in Sweden. This album showcases the clarinet some. A sound I also like sometimes.

A fine ride on the piano. This artist was recorded at TBM (Three Blind Mice) studios and they show how the stage was setup and mic placement and whatnot. Well recorded. I have quite a few CDs by this artist.

Tsyuoshi Yamamoto Trio.

One of the first records I bought was a 78 "New sounds from Sweden” with Arne Domnerus, Bengt Hallberg, and Lars Gullen.
    Probably 1951 or 2
    I didn’t have a record player. It was a birthday present for my buddy. We’re still both fans.

Nice to have subwoofers.

Jazz and Funk. I put them in the same category. The musicians of both cross paths a lot, which is one of the best things to like about them all. A lot of, seemingly impromptu jam sessions, turned into a record.

This was my brother's album. He wasn't much on possessions so, I ended up with it from around 1973 or so. I never appreciated it until much later on. It sure is a favorite now. I recently restored all of my records that were just dirty, but not very damaged.

The Latin influence I also like a lot. Especially the complete percussion sections they tend to employ.

I’m not usually into vocalists but I like this woman; she reminds me of Annie Ross.

Iíve been looking back through this thread - so much fantastic music!

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    In spite if itís power to occasionally corrupt, YouTube is a pretty amazing resource and pretty much a bottomless vault of almost anything we may want to see or hear. It knows I like Oscar Peterson, so it fed me a multi part video of Andre Previn interviewing Peterson at the piano. Highly recommended and easy to find.

In the discussion there were several references to Art Tatum as an influence, so pretty easy to search YouTube for some Art Tatum listening. They also mentioned Nat Cole. Iíve long been a fan of Nat Cole and remember watching his old tv shows as a kid. But I mostly remember him as a singer at the piano, and forgotten what a brilliant solo jazz pianist he was. YouTube to the rescue again.
    Another extensive resource is Pandora's "discovery" option. For instance, I will choose someone like "Maceo Parker" from James Brown's (JBs) group and create a radio station based on him. This tends to uncover every relatable above, and underground association to that genre, both old and new.

I end up getting hooked by it in short order and before I know it, I have 20 youtube searches open to peruse each artist from every catchy tune I happen upon so that I don't forget who it was.

A good youtube option is to choose an artist of interest followed by the word "topic." This will bring you to just about every available legitimate download that is available by them all in one place. So, if I happen upon a song I like by say, "Tower of Power," I will then just type "Tower of Power topic" in the youtube search to bring me to their channel.

The famous Paul Gonsalves solo.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Thanks Jim. I have the recording and knew something of its significance but this is nice to hear.

Thanks for the introduction to Olivia Dean's music. Very enjoyable.

Here's on of my favorite live recordings from Sydney venue The Basement.

Bruce Cockburn

^Very nice!

Here, Miles, David Sanborn, Paul Schaeffer, Marcus Miller and othere render their version of the Christmas tune, We Three Kings.

<em>
    Kevin