Thread: What boat would be better for the Annapolis sailing season?

Default What boat would be better for the Annapolis sailing season?

Default Re: What boat would be better for the Annapolis sailing season?

luders naval academy yawl

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Whichever offers the most competition. There's less every year on the bay.
    -Dave

Having lived there, I would go with the one with less draft.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

I'd lean heavily toward the J100 unless the 105 has much better local fleet numbers.
    What color are their hands now?

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I'd lean heavily toward the J100 unless the 105 has much better local fleet numbers.
    There sure were a lot of 105s last weekend at the Annapolis Yacht Club. that would be a good boat to do many of the east coast races and race/sail to Bermuda.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 9.22.29 AM.jpg

A wood sailboat for what I want to do is less appealing if and when I make the move to the East Coast even in Annapolis after what i have enjoyed in that community here in San Francisco.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-25-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Having sailed the Chesapeake for a number of years, but not anymore, I'd say the best Bay boat would be the one with air conditioning. Brutally hot and humid there in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW6 View Post
    Having sailed the Chesapeake for a number of years, but not anymore, I'd say the best Bay boat would be the one with air conditioning. Brutally hot and humid there in the summer.
    You know how to scare a Californian. I am trying to avoid being a Paul Pless neighbor. At least his is a dry heat.

It has been a while since I lived near the Chesapeake. My view is clouded a recent perfect late spring week with no bugs and low humidity. House prices along the bay seemed reasonable, even less expensive than Arizona except with water access and the promise of 9 months of mostly comfortable sailing each year.

You basically have two months in the middle of the summer where the heat can be killer (but isn't always) without any wind to ease the baking. But before and after that stretch there's tons of good sailing weather. I've never understood why most bay sailors start their season late and end it early. Early May right into November is fine for getting out on the water. If you're thinking of a house with a dock, I think you'll find the water will be too thin to put a keelboat at the dock at most properties.

CBYRA is the central organizing body for most racing on the bay. A look over the calendar will give you an idea what's going on through the year.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    You basically have two months in the middle of the summer where the heat can be killer (but isn't always) without any wind to ease the baking. But before and after that stretch there's tons of good sailing weather. I've never understood why most bay sailors start their season late and end it early. Early May right into November is fine for getting out on the water. If you're thinking of a house with a dock, I think you'll find the water will be too thin to put a keelboat at the dock at most properties.

CBYRA is the central organizing body for most racing on the bay. A look over the calendar will give you an idea what's going on through the year.
    Looks like a great place to sail from. The water may be thin along the creeks and the weather warm for 2 months but sure looks good. I do not know if I will get a dock with the house but a mooring ball or a purchase of a slip and joining a yacht club might be a good entry into the community. As for the house close to the water - it would be nice to have a supported community dock to launch and tie up a dinghy, go crabbing, a little fishing and run under a full moon at night looking at all the lights along the banks. If my son gets stationed in Norfolk for 3 years - it would be ideal as I could do work in the District, Baltimore and even NYC and see him more often than we do.

Since i mostly solo or short hand sail, the CHESSS singlehanded organization would likely be my direction.

Doesn't the mostly-shorthanded thing rule out the 105?
    What color are their hands now?

yeah - i see them double handed here when racing. The 100 in my video above is all electric winches and turbo'd. The trend is to go electric with out meat on the rail.
    I have 4 sailing events in my lifes bucket list. I am almost squared away on a Transpac, I want to do to Bermuda race, Cowes and Silver Rudder. The last 3 in a 105 with electric winches could make that possible.

Selling my house here in the Bay area, downsizing and letting go of the rat race would allow me to make all this happen.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-26-2021 at 10:24 AM.

You prolly need a duck punt.

My current super 31' 50 year old boat is set for San Francisco shorthanded sailing and racing. I wonder if a short rig sloop coulld be competitive in the Chesapeake. The money I saved not buying a new old boat could pay for a slip or a mooring ball.

Attachment 86933

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-26-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    yeah - i see them double handed here when racing. The 100 in my video above is all electric winches and turbo'd. The trend is to go electric with out meat on the rail.
    I have 4 sailing events in my lifes bucket list. I am almost squared away on a Transpac, I want to do to Bermuda race, Cowes and Silver Rudder. The last 3 in a 105 with electric winches could make that possible.

Selling my house here in the Bay area, downsizing and letting go of the rat race would allow me to make all this happen.
    We inch closer to moving. Annapolis or other places along the Chespeake on for sailboats and punts.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I have only seen the 105’s, of which there are many on Lake Erie. That looks like a lot of boat to single hand.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'