Thread: Loos gauge equivalent for dyneema?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Loos gauge equivalent for dyneema?

I've been monkeying about with the dyneema shrouds on Marianita (20' LOD glued-lap Eun Mara) since launching her and never been happy with their set. Mostly it's been a struggle to get the aft shrouds tight enough to keep the forestay from flopping around in any kind of breeze or choppy conditions. While the mast has stayed up I figure the jib is not maintaining it's best shape, as a gaffer she isn't going to point all that well to begin with so the idea of losing even more ground to a poorly setting jib just drives me nuts.

I have a deadeye-like system for applying tension to the rig, the internet has a number of interesting ways to pull on the lanyards but comes up short on how to measure that tension. You size the rigging for "creep" which is based on a percentage of breaking strength (around 20%) but how to determine when you've achieved that number? Wire rigging has the Loos Gauge, a nice simple and accepted method but I haven't seen an equivalent for synthetic rigging. Am I missing something?

I'll try reaching out to Loos but you guys are such a wealth of information...
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Default Re: Loos gauge equivalent for dyneema?

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...sGaugeCals.pdf

Ah, my google-fu came up with the above chart from. the depths of the Colligo website. Loos says their tools are calibrated for wire, you can use them on other products but come up with your own chart, like the one above.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan