Thread: Warped hatches on Kayak

Default Warped hatches on Kayak

I Have a wood strip and fiberglass kayak I built awhile ago that I have fixed back up but have noticed that the hatches slightly warped preventing a good seal. They are of the style of essentially a cut out of the deck with a lip installed underneath.
    I intend to make sure I have sufficient flotation for safety but if anyone had any ideas on how to deal with the issue short of making all new hatches I would be interested.

IMG_20210520_125404467.jpgIMG_20210520_125351585.jpg

Default Re: Warped hatches on Kayak

I would ask someone like Guillemot Kayaks before doing anything irreversible.

However, my uninformed idea is to try a pair of stiffeners on the underside with the bottom of the stiffeners going straight across. It should be possible to pull/push the sides back into line with the kayak. I'd dry fit it with screws and finishing washers only before adding epoxy, to be sure.

Jamie

Can heat be used to help manipulate old epoxy?
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

When I built a Laughing Loon kayak, this was addressed.
    Build a jig for the outside of the hatch, based on the as built shape of the boat.
    So this will be a female mold using just two transverse shapes. You will have to make a base to hold these bulkhead like shapes.
    Sand off the inner glass/ epoxy coating.
    Clamp the hatch into the jig you built.
    Re-glass the inside of the hatch.
    You will have relieved the stresses which bent the hatch, then rebuilt the strength of the hatch while in the proper shape.

I am assuming you are using magnets to hold down the hatch?

As an alternate, you possibly take off the outside glass/epoxy on the hatch.
    Use the magnets to hold it down in position, then re-glass the hatch outside.
    I would be afraid of this causing some difference in the way the outside surface looks due to all the re-work.
    There also might be issues with sealing the edges of the hatch wood.

Good luck.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Can you kerf the originals from the inside, spot glue to a new position, flip for gravity assist and and re glue ?

Perhaps you can over bend it back well beyond the desired shape then add another layer of glass to the inside. If that helps but is not enough do it again and add another layer. You''l have gained some insight into just how much to over bend by then.

Another option would be to force it down into position and hold it there with turn buttons which are low profile and shouldn't interfere with operations.

is the hatch just laying in position while using the boat? or is there a way to dog 'em down, into final position? if it were me I look to using this to force 'em down, and at the same time make sure they can't be lost in a roll over

It is held down with bungee on the inside. Thank you for the ideas. I am going to do a hose test when I next get a chance and see how bad it is with the gaskets installed, then we will see whether to go with the full re glassing of one side or something lesser.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

paint the inside black and turn it upside down in the sun ?

I actually tried clamping it in to a jig and leaving it a hot part of a greenhouse for awhile, which is the enviroment I think might have been what got me into trouble in the first place. Did not work.

Add straps to pull it down tight. The internal bungee doesn't have enough strength. Even if you straighten it out, it may well warp again.

-Dave

Yeah I think I will probably do that.

If you re-fiberglass it won't warp again.
    From practical experience.

If you put straps, coat the screw holes with epoxy so you won't get rot starting there.

I like magnets, but you would have to straighten out the warp first, then it is a colossal PITA to do.