Thread: How to Attach Boom to Mast? Spritsail Rig

Default How to Attach Boom to Mast? Spritsail Rig

Hello,

I just bought a sprit rigged dinghy, never sailed this kind of rig before. I don't know how to attach boom to mast, any suggestions/help appreciated. Thanks!

64323844236__C70737F6-EB96-472F-9C49-1A95082AECC0.jpg64323844236__C70737F6-EB96-472F-9C49-1A95082AECC0 (1).jpg

Default Re: How to Attach Boom to Mast? Spritsail Rig

Google How to rig an optimist sail.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I think that you'll find some answers on the 5th page of that subject: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...rst-Mate/page5

I think your boom is about as attached to the mast as it should be. What is needed is to lash the tack of the sail to the boom, that will hold it (the boom) up. You will probably want to have some kind of a downhaul to keep tension in the luff, rig that off the bottom of the boom to a handy cleat near the mast step. One could argue for parrel beads across the jaws but I don't think they are needed in your case, the hoops should be just fine.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

tack is tied off to both the mast and the yoke on the boom

then a downhaul and vang do the rest

DSC01025.jpg

this an Optimist rig mounted on a Duck Punt

some folks will add a loose string of parrel beads between the tips of the yoke around the mast for grins

OIP.XshgCdvF9h05kShvh-4yOgHaFj.jpeg

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

That will all work, but this is the more common approach. Set up like this, you essentially have two sprits, and the lower one or boom is self vanging. Also, it's less likely to hit you on the head. I've had a boat set up this way and it's both simple and works very well. You can fine tune the set of the sail by adjusting the snotter locations on the mast. Running, the boom or lower sprit does not lift at all -- the sail just swings around like a barn door.

The image is from Chase Small Craft -- the Echo Bay Dory Skiff.

-Dave

For a conventional boom, this is my favorite way to rig it for standing lugs or spritsails. The tack lashing goes up to the tack ring on the sail, the downhaul runs down from the jaws and cleats on the lower mast or the partners, mast thwart or what have you. The mainsheet is anchored aft, near the transom. It runs up to a boom block near the aft end of the boom, then along the underside of the boom (through a fairlead or two to prevent drooping if desired) and through the block hanging from the jaws. It then runs down to the sailor or (and better) through a block mounted to the lower mast or hull and back to the sailor, possibly with a mainsheet cleat. That way the pressure of sheeting in hard is pulling the sailor down into the boat, not trying to lift him out of it, as happens when the sheet just hangs from the boom. Having the block hanging from the jaws is good, in that when the sheet tension is high, it is tightening the sail's luff and flattening the sail, which is what you want to happen.

JAWS.jpg

Thanks a lot Todd, that explanation seems simple enough and logical. I won't have to do much it seems. Cheers!