Thread: Mystic 2021 - Are you in?

Default Mystic 2021 - Are you in?

August 20-22nd

https://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/

It's my birthday weekend, and I can't think of a better place to turn 29 (for the umpteenth time )

See you there!

-Margo

Default Re: Mystic 2021 - Are you in?

I'm not really planning to, yet. It's a long day's sail from here, so very doable.

I'm teaching at the WoodenBoat School so will be in Maine many hours away. Have fun, Margo!

We’re going. We haven’t been anywhere since the Arizona trip. And how could we miss Margo’s Birthday?

It's a damn shame, but somebody has to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    We’re going. We haven’t been anywhere since the Arizona trip. And how could we miss Margo’s Birthday?
    Arizona was like a plague ago... COVID was beginning when we were at Paul's at the end of Feburary, but Geeze!

Just me and the Bauers?!?!

Surely not!

Think I'll be following the Maine rule: don't leave the state between Memorial Day and Labor Day..... and if you are east of Wiscasset have your timing right to even go to Portland.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I'm thinking about it. Haven't been in many years. I'd better make up my mind soon to get a hotel room.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

is this the sort of thing you can just sail up to, drop anchor in the harbor ?
    or do you need prior arrangements and permissions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Think I'll be following the Maine rule: don't leave the state between Memorial Day and Labor Day..... and if you are east of Wiscasset have your timing right to even go to Portland.
    Good rule. Going to Brunswick is as far as I'll venture. August is the least foggy sailing and cruising weather, too.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

There is anchorage in the upper cove and you can just sail in and anchor. There are bridge openings and channel buoys to heed.

I’m definitely going to be there Margo! Russ and Julia are planning on being there as well.

Being in August this year the WBS and the Antique Marine Engine show are on the same weekend. I always enter my boat and her engines in the engine show (in addition to bringing a few other engines), so I will be tied up somewhere near the shipyard/main entrance. That is unless the WBS pulls rank and kicks me out. As long as we’re there everyone is welcome to stop bye and put your feet up for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    is this the sort of thing you can just sail up to, drop anchor in the harbor ?
    or do you need prior arrangements and permissions ?
    As Thad said, there is open anchoring just past the Seaport. There are two bridges on the Mystic River. The Amtrack RxR bridge is a “normally open” bridge that closes only when a train is coming through. The Mystic Town (highway) bridge opens once an hour, at 40 minutes past the hour. The river is a bit ‘small’, but we’ll protected, but everyone is used to boats “hovering” for the opening.

is bunking available this year on the Joseph Conrad?

Might do a day trip. 3 hour drive for me. Just to much going on this summer for a weekend trip. Work here at my shop is CRAZY busy! Hope everyone else is also.
    Last edited by David Satter; 07-01-2021 at 10:47 AM.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MW Jones View Post
    is bunking available this year on the Joseph Conrad?
    Michael, the reason we've had Conrad bunking the last few years, was through the Small Craft Workshop held at the same time. This year the SCW was held on Memorial Day weekend with miniscule attendance as MSM got hit with a soaking gale driven North East storm. If they have bunking you'll have to check with MSM/WoodenBoat, the show organizers.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm thinking about it. Haven't been in many years. I'd better make up my mind soon to get a hotel room.
    We will probably go too, Rich. I'll look for you.

I will be there. Not sure about all of the timing, but thinking all three days.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward