Clear All
  • Juan
    • Oct 2018

Re: Thinking about Build number 2 - sailing boat 27 to 32 foot

"American Express" (MiniTransat winner)

LWL: 6.5 meters
    Water Ballast: 280 liters

Dehler 30 OD

Playful change from regatta mode to touring mode ✓ Maximum performance & easiest handling ✓ Made in Germany ★ Discover the Dehler 30 now!

9 m
    200 liters Water Ballast

---

I mean that for a light, sporty, powerful sailboat "less is more", remember that the gigantic Clippers hoisted around 1 square meter per Ton and, on the other hand, a small boat can carry 20-30-50 square meters per Ton

Comment

• Juan
      • Oct 2018

well, no, it is not exactly like that, because the light sports sailboats of 6-12 meters in length are very similar: 20 square meters per Ton (Beating)

I have been carried away by enthusiasm and my preferences

Comment

• simonmags
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Matt young
        Your original design #2 has a self tacking jib, that is a nice feature for shorthanded sailing. Or sailing when the crew don’t want to do anything but sit back and enjoy, or hold on. If another design does not have this out of the box, I’d ask the designer if it’s could be possible.
        Thanks Matt, anything that makes the first few years of sailing with younger kids or teenagers is a good idea. Self tacking jib added to the list.

I haven't learned a great deal about water ballast as yet, but it does sound like it may be needed in some of these designs and I have certainly seen a couple of designs with it specified in the plans. A question on water ballast, is it possible to send the water to the high side of the boat to help even it out automatically with something other than an Electric pump and some form of angle instrument to gage the heel of the boat electronically, guessing an inclinometer...

That deheler 30 one design certainly looks like fun. I keep finding similar designs but normally I cannot find an option to buy plans to do a self build as an option. Always worth a look though as I am sure there must be designers with plans suitable for an amatuer that I've yet to look at. I am starting to consider boats which may require to be kept in a yard or on a mooring with fixed keel as well. Would certainly still see benefit in having a trailerable boat though.
        My First Boat Build:
        http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
        Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Comment

• Rumars
          • Dec 2016

Take a look at this: http://www.balta.fr/tangaradayboat.html
          Beam: 2.5m, 4 berths, vertically lifting keel, inboard diesel, strip planked, designed for amateur construction.
          The architect has several variations on the same hull, including ketch, gaff cutter, single or double transom hung rudder, open transom, outboard engine, centreboard, doghouse cabin, no cabin.
          The most sportive one is the gaff cutter with 61sqm of working sail area on 2250kg max. displacement. http://www.balta.fr/tangara-aurique.html

Comment

• simonmags
            • Jan 2010

That Balta french design is nice and I do like that it comes with an option for a Bermudan type rig. Which I imagine would give me more options in sailing short or single handed when needed. I do like the self furling roller jibs and I think someone already mentioned I should put self tacking jib on the list.

That Balta enfant perdu is bigger than I had been thinking about at 12 meters. She does look very pretty though.
            http://www.balta.fr/enfant perdu.html

Is the trend around a reverse sheer mostly just around reducing windage on the hull? I know on the foiling boats everything is out the window as they use the hull or at least half of it as a wing to generate lift. But I'd imagine the reverse sheer may serve some purpose on a more traditional monohull as well?

I'd been giving preference to designers with modern designs i.e. the design is under 10 years old
            I'd also prefer the designer to still be working so if needed some communication back and forth around details of the design could be clarified if needed. I'd imagine this may be easier too if we are aligned in terms of language.

So much still to slowly work through, there doesn't seem to be a proforma to follow in terms of designs, one designer might give you full size drawings, another will specify that plans need to be lofted. There also isn't a list of things to expect which are similar from designer to designer, i.e. should I expect a full wind rose, rollover testing results, expected centre of gravity and effort in all the plans....

I think part of why I like the Bedard 9.5 even though it's not perhaps as round as I'd imagined is that Bedard isn't shy about providing the CNC plans which would give me options for making the frames and or a mold/plug if needed.
            My First Boat Build:

Comment

• Rumars
              • Dec 2016

The enfant perdu is twice the boat, it does not fit your SOR, but I do agree it is a mighty fine design. I am sure Balta will change the rig to your specifications if asked.

The reverse sheer is as much fashion as it is for technical reasons. Removing weight from the ends and maintaining interior height gives you a certain profile. But, only really high performance boats can actually use a reverse bow, for most boats it's fashion.

The bedard is really a race boat, but you know what fits you best. I agree going for a living designer is best.

Comment

• Edward Pearson
                • Dec 2015

I'd take a look at Keith Callaghan's portfolio. He knows his onions. Light centerboarders with an eye on still being manageable shorthanded. Digital plans. Made his name with Merlin Rockets.

Keith Callaghan is the designer of high performance trailer sailers, racing dinghies and offshore-capable trailable centreboard yachts, most of which are suitable for amateur construction.

Here's video of his BlueStorm 900

Comment

• ulav8r
                  • Apr 2012

In the mid-70's I checked out a book from the library, 40-45-? boats you can build?. Some were wood, some were metal. There was a 28 foot catboat that had a fairly spacious cabin and the author thought it would be suitably capable of sailing anywhere in the world. It seemed like a very suitable boat to someone with no experience in such things. Don't remember any details of the actual name of the book, author, publisher, design name of the boat, etc.

Comment

• Andrew2
                    • Jul 2013

Out of curiosity, simonmags, what were your earlier builds? Much smaller, or similar sized boats?

Comment

• simonmags
                      • Jan 2010

Thanks for the answers to a few of my questions, that blue storm 900 looks awesome, round bottom and developed plywood sides.

Will make some Time next week to email him.

andrew haven’t built anything this big before, but duck flat wooden boats is just up the road so can get help when I get stuck.
                      My First Boat Build:

Comment

Working...