Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Looking for missing parts for my restoration of Chance

When I was given Chance last year the previous owner had only just got the boat a few months before he gave Chance to me. The major problem was that the owner before him had many of the parts from the boat still in his possession and was unwilling to handover the parts he had taken off Chance to the owner who I was given Chance from. So many of the parts are with the owner who gave Chance to before me.

So now I have to source a large number of parts to replace the missing items such as , portholes of various sizes, a complete set of stanchions, 2 x tabernacles mast fittings , chainplates and many other items which I will list later after I have gone over Chance to see what items are missing.

I am now at a stage in the restoration where I will just have to take a few more items out of the inside of the cockpit and then I will be making a start on the hull planking and the ribs. However, before I can tackle the ribs I will have to remove the deck edge covering boards to expose the tops of the ribs so the ribs can be pushed in from the deck down the keel and that way have new single ribs and not sistered or doubled ribs as has been the case in the aft cabin on the starboard side.
    So if anyone out there can help me with any original spec items from the period of Chances build circ 1948 I will be grateful.
    Thanks in advance
    Simon Papendick
    Owner of Chance

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Chain plates and tabernacles will probably be galvo iron, and corroded and worn, so you may be better making new copies.

Will the "dog in the manger" be amenable to you taking photos and measurements of the rigging fittings?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

My family and I with the help of my brother John are on a mission to restore our unique James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer which was built in 1948 at the James Silver boat yard at Rosneath in Scotland.Over the past year when it has been possible to get to Chance which is currently in Woodplumpton in Lancashire to work on her, we have removed nearly all the interior furniture and the engines and have only the fuel and water tanks to remove. Then it will be time to clean out the bilges and start to make a start on the ribs and planking which need to be renewed.So far, the main areas which need to be addressed are the main cabin ribs which for the most part broken on the turn of the bilge when Chance was last transported and lifted without spreader bars to support the hull from being pinched and in doing so breaking the ribs. The other area which needs sorting out is the aft cabin on the starboard side which is full of doubled and sistered ribs which will all have to be removed and new single ribs steamed in their place and the old holes plugged with dowels which will be glued in place. So, in the meantime, I am at my workshop doing as much work on the parts of the boat which have been removed so far and getting to grips with the repairs needed to the door for the lockers and cabin doors, some of which are going to have to be renewed to match the old doors. So, over the coming weeks I will be tackling the doors and then varnishing them and putting them away in storage until it is time refit the doors to the lockers and to the bulkheads later in the restoration. However, also I will be making a list of all the missing items from Chance so that I have a better idea of how much sourcing of original equipment I am going to have to do to replace the missing item to make Chance look like she was when she was first launched in 1948.

Hi Nick,
    When I am up at Chance next time I will take photos of the mast bases where they were in the tabernacles and the footprint on the decks where they were originally in position and then make up plywood patterns of the tabernacles they can be made up. I will have to sand the paint off the hull where the chain plate were to find out how long they were and have new chainplates made up. So I am going to be busy for a few weeks to come once I get back to my workshop making these parts up. The one major part I will have to get made will be a new stemhead fitting for the forestay and a bow roller combination as that as long since gone. and some one cut the top of the stem flush with the deck. So I am going to have to make a new upper section of outer stem to replace the missing part.

My first job when I get back to Chance is finish of getting the tanks out and then clean the bilges and then tackle the removal of the broken ribs and steam new green oak ribs in their place and then get on with the planking and then move Chance back to Essex to be near my workshop and small yard.

Regards
    Simon

Having cut out the broken piece of wood from this door frame it is time to let in a piece of Mahogany that is a close match to the existing colour of the original mahogany.

This is the only damage on this door, so when it is planed down and sanded back and a little bit of stained varnish it will match the surrounding wood.

A least this is a start with more small and larger repairs to come has we go through the large number doors we have to do that came out of Chance.

So far, we have removed much of the interior furniture to gain access to the inside of the hull to inspect the condition of the planking and to inspect the condition of ribs throughout the boat. What we found was that the forward part of the boat, that is from the stem to as far back as the galley the ribs were in good condition and will only need washing down to come clean and then get a few coats of primer and then undercoat and finally either white or cream gloss to finish off the paint work in that part of the boat. However, that is where the good part ends because from then on it is a different story as many of the ribs in the main cabin are broken along the line of the turn of the bilge. Not all the ribs are broken, in this area there are 12 ribs aside, all but one on the starboard are broken, however, on the port side 8 out of 12 ribs are broken. So, there are going to be a lot of work that needs doing in this area alone to give back this part of the boat its original strength. The frames as far as we can see are in good order and just need cleaning and painting when the time comes. We have yet to find out what is hiding behind the fuel and water tanks in the cockpit as we have not had time so far to remove these tanks as they are heavy steel tanks and will need the help of the yard owner with his crane to lift them out next time we are at Chance. Then we can inspect the hull and ribs and frames and see what condition they are in.Go aft from the cockpit it is a different story. this end of the boats hull is a complete mess of broken doubled and sistered ribs on the starboard side and only the port side aft of the cockpit is in the condition, the ribs and frames are as the boat was build, 2 x single ribs between the frames and none of them doubled up. There are a couple that need replacing that is due to repairs done in the past where the repairers split the ribs due to drilling undersize holes for fixings. I know, it will appear to some people why clean the bilge out now, my boat builder who did my apprenticeship 45 years ago said to me if the bilges are clean, you will not lose anything, and the boat will smell clean and the will make it easier to work in. So, while some of us will be working on other parts of the restoration, a couple of people can be cleaning out the bilges and removing the last of the ballast and then wash out and clean the bilge and then lay down some new temporary floorboards.

Badly injured ankle that is going to keep me off my feet for a few weeks.

Last weekend while working on my other project boat in my yard I badly injured my left ankle which as put me off any heavy physical work, however, it will not stop me from getting some work done of other projects that do not me to stand to do them.
    Jobs like rubbing down the bits that were brought back from Chance over the past few months which are in my workshop.
    I had made a lot of plans for the next few months which now have to be amended. The main job that is going to have to be amended is the removal broken ribs and the rotten planks that are going have to be replaced before we can move Chance back to Essex to be near my workshop.
    So I am going to have to get some help to do the job while I can not get in the boat to do the job myself.
    So if anyone knows of anyone who can help in the Preston area please DM me.

Thanks from Simon Tricia & Michael and my brother John

Hello Simon,

I'm sorry to hear of your injury!

I hope the healing is quicker than you're thinking and you can get back on both feet soon.

Regards,
    Alan

Hi Alan,
    That was an good outcome on the time scale, it could take longer, I hope it is a quick recovery as I have clients from my day job depending on me to get their boats sorted for Easter.

REgards

Simon

Having taken a week and half off work for my ankle to help recover from the injury it has situated following my fall. I have taken the ankle complete bed rest for a week and then moving around for half a week and now back on my feet if only for short periods of time at the moment. Building this up over the next few weeks until I am back to full strength in my ankle once more.
    Although some jobs have been put back a little with the help of a few friends I should be able to get back on track quickly and get on with work once more as before.
    So next week I hope to get back to my workshop and do a few small jobs, As I can not sit at home as I need to be doing something.

Finally back on my feet again, although not completely back to square one, they are a lot better and I can drive again. So back to work next week and get work done on the jobs that have been sidelined for the past 2 weeks. This means, although I can not go up ladders for a few weeks while I get the strengthen back in my ankle muscles. I can walk short distances and can do bench work while sitting on a chair to do some of the smaller tasks which need to be done on Chance's doors and other items which are in the workshop.

Once job which will take some time to sort out will be to set up my dovetail jig to make the new drawer frames for the drawers that are beyond repair as they are rotten in places where they were left in position and got wet and enclosed then let nature do the rest. The drawers from Chance are all rotten in one place or other apart from the drawer fronts which appear to have been spared from getting rotten. So at least the mahogany fronts will not have to be replaced. Which is a saving grace. Trying to find the same mahogany that the rest of the interior was made from would be a headache if not impossible to source now. As we have taken much of the interior out of Chance now apart from the transverse bulkheads which are still in position to keep the shape of the boat and also to define the cabins. The fuel and water tanks which we did not have time to remove last time we were at Chance. The rest of the interior is now clear.

Now the hard work begins with removing the broken ribs and replacing the rotten planks and making the hull strong once more to be able to move the boat on transport back to Essex.

So now there will have to be a work schedule drawn up to do the work in a logical order and use our time the most efficiently to cut down on wasted time and resources. So now down to the planning stage which while my ankle gets better I will do over the next couple of weeks with help from my family.

The doors in the centre of this photo are the first of the small doors that have been repaired as necessary and then just been sanded down ready to get their first coat of thinned varnish

Some of the other small doors have not faired as well and will need some replacement parts made for them, it some cases more than one piece, others just need just one side of the door.

Other small doors just needed gluing back together as the old glue as given up and the small wedges in the tenons are not enough to hold them together any longer.

A small amount of cleaning up the joints and a small amount of modern glue and gentle cramping together and then a quick sanding down when the glue is cured and then they can be put with the other doors to be varnished

However, these pair of doors are not so good as they are either broken or rotten and in the case of these two doors they are both rotten and broken, so these two doors will have to be completely rebuild

However, these pair of doors are not so good as they are either broken or rotten and in the case of these two doors they are both rotten and broken, so these two doors will have to be completely rebuild

This door is rotten in the centre of this photo

This door is rotten and as broken

Using these clamps in the reverse way, which you can do with this type of clamp with a little pressure the joints come apart

A little at a time the tenons come apart

Then off completely and now ready for a clean up of the tenons

These tenons had small wedges to tighten up the joints which are left in place so they can be used again when a small amount of glue is placed on the wedge before the tenons are re-fitted

Setting up my mortise cutter to make new parts for the door frames for Chance

Having got this as a Christmas from my wife, It is now time to get it set up for making the new mortise and tenon joints for the doors which have got either rotten or broken parts in them.

With a bit of trail and error and a lot of patience will get the handle on this piece of equipment and will soon be making the mortise part of the joints

This is one of the original mortise and tenon joint which this new piece of equipment will be making in due course

Some of the doors are in need of renewed parts, while others just need taking apart and regluing the joints

A couple of the smaller doors are in need of new parts to be made to replace broken or rotten parts. Others just need taking apart and modern glue used to fix the joints.

This is the first of the small doors getting glued together after the joints were cleaned and modern glue put on the mortise and tenon joints before being sash clamped together for the glue to cure and then sanded down

The first two doors on the work bench clamped and left for the glue to cure and then they will be given their light sanding and then got ready to go with the others to be varnished.

So it begins, the long road of daily varnishing until these doors look like them should be

As it can be seen the wood is taking up a lot of thinned varnish as they have not seen a varnish brush in over 20 years

The colour is coming through the coats of varnish, if when the rest of the bulkheads and cupboard and locker fronts look like these doors it will be a very lovely sight down below in the cabins and when the Wheelhouse and aft cabin are varnished again as they should it will be a beautiful sight

Now the first side as been given five coats of thinned varnish it is now time to give the other side of the doors the same treatment

These doors are really soaking up the thinned varnish

The colour is really coming through these doors they are going to really make a different when they are finished and the bulkheads are all scraped and sanded back to the same as the doors and the whole of the interior looks the same

Some parts are really taking a lot of varnish. like this centre panel in the main door into the main cabin from the cockpit

First I had to dismantle the affected doors like this door and clean up the joints and then clean the joints with acetone and then use a modern glue to glue and fix the joint back together.

Then clamp the joint together with sash clamps until the glue cures off and the clean off the excess glue and with a quick rubbing down with some sandpaper , then start to varnish the door like the rest of the doors that have already been started to be varnished.

Some of the doors are having to undergo some more major work in that there are more than one part needing to be replaced, As in the case of this door in the photo below

This door is just in need of a single part of the frame of the door. Like the other doors I am dismantling the doors and cleaning the doors and then gluing them back together with modern glue and then varnishing the doors as they are being rebuild

These are the doors from the galley unit which were the doors from the locker above the area where the cooker was originally fitted and above the worktop. These have had their first coat of thinned varnish and will be getting a lot more over the coming weeks.

The two halves of hatch cover over the main cabin to cockpit door. In a previous blog you can see that the main cabin door is already undergoing its varnishing treatment.

The main cabin door hatch covers and the galley doors getting more coats of varnish as we build up the layers of varnish.

My wife Tricia's new job now she has retired from being a Nurse for the past 38 years

This is not her first time doing any type of rubbing down of varnish work, Tricia helped me with our other restoration project boat, our East Coast classic gaff cutter called Mai Star II

These are her first rubbing down jobs on our latest project boat the James Silver Western Isles Chance, The doors that she is rubbing down are the ones out of the galley area in the boat and are the doors from the locker above the cooker

The door below is going to need a bit of repair work to the split in the centre panel

Tricia dusting down the doors as she goes along to make sure she has rubbed down the varnish over all the doors evenly

Here are a few of the panels that Tricia has already rubbed down

Our Son Michael making a start on the first of his doors off Chance, they have been varnished last week and have been left for a week for the varnish to harden off and so making the sanding down easier.

Plenty of PPE being worn to keep him safe

He is really putting his back into the job and he said after doing a few, he was enjoying doing this job ashe could see the results of his work.

The smaller doors from Chance getting their first 5 coats of 75% thinned varnish and then getting rub down

The smaller doors from Chances' interior set out and getting their first five coats of 75% thinned varnish

As you can see in the photos the thinned varnish is soaking up a great deal on the first few photos as the wood is so dry.

The rich dark mahogany colour is starting to show through and when they are all finished will transform the cabins on Chance

The smaller doors all now sanded down ready to have their five coats of 50% thinned varnish after the May Day Holiday

Micheal hard at work sanding down the doors to get them ready for the next five coats of 50% thinned varnish

All suited and booted and PPE and carefully sanding the doors down making sure to sand with the grain at all times and checking the smoothness of the varnish as he goes along

Always checking the smoothness and changing sandpaper as he goes along to maintain the sanding of the varnish

That first group of doors done and now to set them out to get them ready for the next coats of varnish to be applied

Salvaging an old roof light from Chance when she was first built in1948

This cabin roof light came from Chance, it is from a time when Chance first had electric lights fitted to her early in her long life. The bulb just needed its contacts cleaned up and a pair of short wires fitted to the blub socket and then contacted to a testing battery. Eureka , it works not bad for an early light bulb and light. So when it comes time to refit the lights in the boat this will be going back in the boat

There are also a number of other lights we have been able to salvage from Chance has we dismantled the interior of the boat.Many of the other lights are still being manufactured by Davey & Co. Some of the lights need a new glass which is readily available. from Davey & Co.

So all being well we will able to refit period lighting to the interior of Chance when it comes to that stage of the restoration. The only change to modern times will be a change in wiring the lights with modern wiring and possibly new bulbs to give better lighting below decks. Also the wiring runs will be hidden as much as possible.

The positions of forecabin, galley & main cabin lights can still easily be scene from the original positions on the bulkheads and in the skylight hatches. However, in the aft heads compartment the engineering room and the aft cabin it is not possible to see their position as there are no marks on the bulkheads or the roof where they were fitted. So I will have to ask fellow James Silver owners for photos of their aft cabin and other spaces for reference for the likely position of the lights in my James Silver.

Before I started on the hull

Doing a test patch with my large sander with P40 girt sandpaper, it cut through the old paint well to leave a good surface below which will need a little light fairing once the new planks are fitted

Doing a bit of the port side to get the hang of the speed and the amount of changing discs

Then I made a start on the starboard side, to expose the fixings so that the to drill out the old putty out of the nail holes to stop any breaking out of the planks as the nails are punched out of the ribs that are getting replaced in this area of the hull.

Halfway down the starboard side only another 20ft to go on the starboard side

Along way to go, not finding too much more than, i did not know was rotten, however I was able to find the positions of the main mast chain plates under the paintwork once it was removed.

2/3 of the way there and the end of the first day of sanding

The port side well underway on the second day when I had to stop because I was exhausted from sanding and my arms felt like lead.

Something you see that often large wood worn in a topside plank

Along way to go, not finding too much more than, i did not know was rotten, however I was able to find the positions of the main mast chain plates under the paintwork once it was removed.

2/3 of the way there and the end of the first day of sanding

The port side well underway on the second day when I had to stop because I was exhausted from sanding and my arms felt like lead.

Something you see that often large wood worn in a topside plank

Chance like a lot of James Silver / John Bain designed boats at the time Chance was build, they were twin screw single rudder designed.

The stern gear glands were of white metal and were very close fitting glands

The original propellers that were fitted when Chance was originally launched in 1948

The original manufacturer of the propeller can be seen as Thornycroft

On this photo is can be seen that the diameter is 17 1/2 " x 12 1/2"

These propeller shafts will have to be removed as there is work to be done on the stern tubes and the bearing changed to modern stern gear when Chance is re-engineered

The first stage in getting rib of the rotten planks and broken ribs, take an angle grinder to the ribs and grind the heads off the nails so we can punch out the nails

Before we can punch out the rib nails the hull had to cleared of all the paint on the hull so that the filler over the nails can be removed so stopping any splits in the good planks when the nails are punched out of the ribs

A slow but necessary job which my brother John did while he was over from Leeds for a few days helping us get on with the other parts of the restoration

It was found that some planks had been nailed on others had been screwed in place and others had been nailed on with copper nails and roves but the roves had not been cliched over.

The first job with the windlass will be to give it a good cleaning down and check all the moving parts for wear and if any is find get the parts remade to fit the windlass

On the manufacturers plate it is a AFCO Marine Windlass

It is not likely that the company still is in existence, however, their windlass is still in god condition after all these years.

Once the decks are relaid it will once more be put back in its original position on the foredeck and will be put back into commission and used again