Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Then came the large skip to put all the rubbish and other **** the boat had collected and get rid of the rubbish so we could get a better picture of what we had ahead of ourselves,

The pile of rubbish and there were many more to come over the months from May until now

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Now it is run up to Christmas, it is time to make plans for the new year part 2

Making temporary floorboards so that the old floorboards can be removed and cleaned and repainted before putting them back later

The first of the temporary floorboards in place more to come as the months go on

Some of the equipment getting removed so that we can access to the hull to make repairs to the hull planking

Then to removing the ballast out of the bilges for the first time in over 70 years and they were in a hell of a state, covered in dirt and oil and god knows what else

About a 1/3 of the ballast out and more to come as we were able to remove floorboard that covered them

There has been a fair few of these large buckets full of rubbish and other **** coming out of the boats interior and there are going to be more to come as the months move on

Now it is run up to Christmas, it is time to make plans for the new year part 3 removing the engines

Then came the largest job to date the engines removal from the boat.

The old engine have been in the boat for 70 years now and spares and keeping these engine running is going to cost to much so it was decided to remove them and go for modern clearer engines

A very old fuel filters which we can not get any spare parts for, I would love to keep them, however, there are more modern filters that do a better job today and more modern engines in better filters than these.

My brother starting the long process of removing all the parts holding down the engines so that we can lift them out

The last photo of the engine in the boat before we lifted them out with the help of the yard owner with his crane

One engine out

Then the 2 engines out and off to be disposed of, it is hoped that there may be a person out there who as the time and money to sort them out

Big job getting to the job. Thanks. Happy holidays!

The reason for doing the restoration on Chance, to safeguard a piece of maritime history
    My mission is to restoration my James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer Chance. She built in 1948 at James Silver’s Yard at Rosneath in Scotland to a John Bain design. Chance was a change to the normal boats that James Silver was renowned for as Chance was a 50/50 Motor Sailer and not a motorboat which the boatyard was building before Chance was built and after her launching.
    In that way she is unique in that she only had one other boat built to her design, the whereabouts of which is unknown at the present time.
    So over the next few years, my family, which is my wife Tricia, and son Michael and I, my brother John and friends have taken on the restoration Chance to bring her back once more to sail the high seas.
    The last 6 months have been challenging with the Covid pandemic making it difficult to go to Chance which at present is in Woodplumpton in Lancashire and I live in North Essex 300 miles away. So that working on her as needed a lot of planning to go to the boat and work on her in the spare time I have between working on my clients’ boats as I run my own boat building business in Essex which keeps me busy.
    So if you have been following my previous videos on the work that my family and I with the help of my Brother John, you will see that the first few trips to Chance have been about removing as much of the rubbish and rotten wood from inside the boat and getting to a point where we can start to see the hull and the extent of the task ahead of us over the coming months and years.
    Much of what has been done so far is to photograph as much as possible the interior of the boat to rebuild it in the way it was originally built and to remove parts that were not there when she was launched.
    One major job to be done after the Christmas break , is to tackle the hull planking and any frames or ribs that need replacing so that we can transport it down to my small boatyard in Essex to continue the restoration near to where I live and work.
    So when this happens, there will be hopefully more videos of the work we can undertaking on the boat.

Last edited by jstarboats; 12-22-2021 at 06:56 AM.

New Year & New beginningsNow having drawn a line under the last year's work. It is time to make new work plans for the new year on the restoration of Chance. Much of the time spent on Chance during 2021 was spent cleaning out the rubbish out of the cabins onboard the boat. Taking each cabin one at a time , first removing the rubbish left behind by previous owners who had lost heart and funds to undertake such a large undertaking as the restoration of Chance was going to be. We too had to coming to terms with the restoration challenge ahead of us over the coming few years. The biggest different between myself and my family and the last two owners of Chance, is that they were in some ways thinking it was not as bigger challenge as it appears on the surface. There are so many different areas on the boat that need a lot of work doing to them. So unless you can take the long term view it becomes overwhelming when taken as a whole. Yes it is a lot of work in different areas of the boat. So the way to not overwhelm yourself and that of your family and friends is to break the restoration into smaller more manageable sections in the overall restoration process.So as the months during 2021 came and went and we made a start on clearing out the rubbish left on the boat, things like old vacuums, electrical leads, torn covers, an old fridge, and countless other rubbish that laid around the cabins. These were put in a skip to be where possible to be recycled and not put into landfill. So with the rubbish removed from the boats interior, we were able to take stock of the massive task ahead. It appeared extremely daunting at first if you took onboard the amount of work ahead as a whole and yes it is daunting. However, not a family to be put off by a daunting task and up for the challenge we moved ahead with our plans to restore Chance.It took a number of visits to Woodplumpton at weekends when my wife was off work and around my wife's shifts when she was off during the week. At first we would stay over night at my brother and his wife's home in West Yorkshire and then travel over the Pennines to Woodplumpton to work on Chance before going back to West Yorkshire each night while we were working on Chance.We knew this could only be a short term fix to our sleeping over while working on the boat, So we hunted around for a suitable caravan to live in while up working on Chance. After quite a search, having looked at a number of caravans which on the surface fitted the bill, but came up short, we were able to find the right caravan close to our home. The next thing was to find a caravan site that we could stay at all year round and was not far from Chance. We found a good caravan site close to Chance, in fact it was just six miles away and on the edge of a very pleasant village with all the necessary shops and facilities we will need to make our stay comfortable. So one weekend we contacted the caravan site and made arrangements to move the caravan from Essex to Lancashire that weekend. So the next adventure was to hitch up the new to us caravan and travel up country from home to Little Stubbins and to the caravan site. We got there and set about setting up the caravan on its pitch and settling down for the night. So with one part of the jigsaw in place, it was time to put in some longer days on sorting out the interior of Chance. As with any long term restoration project you have to have a short term plan of action and one overall plan of action. If you do not have both plans in place before you start you can get bogged down by getting dishearten at what appears to be slow progress at times. This is where a number of restoration projects come to an end before they really get started. So this is where the old saying comes into its own fault to prepare and prepare to fault. I find that making lists for each area or section of a restoration project helps. Breaking the project down into smaller areas or sections keeps your mind focused and keeps you from losing the will power to keep going when things get tough or a problem arises you had not taken onboard earlier on, when you should have. So with the restoration of Chance, I have broken down the areas in to ten different areas or sections. Forecabin,Galley,Main Cabin/Saloon.Engine Bay/ CockpitAft Heads compartmentEngineering roomAft Cabin /Stateroom.Aft Cabin sides removal Decks removal and relaying with the hatches restored refittingThe hull planking That way each area or section as its own jobs that have to be done and given to a person to work on that area. The only time there is any crossover is when a part of one area goes through a bulkhead and needs sorting out before the work in each of the areas can continue. New Year, New Beginnings

The first week into the New Year and major plans for the year ahead

Now we are back at work and we have given ourselves a dead line for getting Chance down the country to my home part of the country.
    The deadline is going to be around the time of my birthday at the beginning of May. All being well and the country not being lock-downed again. The hull of Chance should be in a condition to be able to move her down to Essex from Woodplumpton and then continue the restoration down in Walton on the Naze in Essex where my yard is situated.
    I hope to go back up to Woodplumpton during January to continue to remove the last remaining bits of furniture and the fuel and water tanks out of the engine bay along with the engine drip trays which need to be removed as under the starboard drip tray there is a plank that as come off the frame which needs investigating to find out why the plank as come adrift and repair or renew the affected frame.
    Once the tanks are out and loaded into the trailer and the engines are put in the back of the van then they can come down to the J-Star Marine Services Workshop to be worked on and if repairable then have them repaired or if that is not possible get prices to replace them. I would like to keep the old tanks if possible as they are a good size.
    Another job when we go back up to Woodplumpton, will to continue to clean out the bilges and get them into a condition where it is possible to gauge their condition, then when they are clean and dry paint them out.
    So that should see us through January, so if February, it will be time to mark off the planks that need renewing and order the wood to replace the rotten planking. We are going to use Mahogany for the planking once more as this is the wood used to build Chance and so it is only right that the same material is used again to re-plank her. We expect to have to take a fair amount of the hull plank off the hull especially on the port side as this appears to be the worse side in the amount of rot and short planks that have been replaced in the past.

It is now 6 months since I become the owner of Chance.Over the past six months a lot has gone on with Chance. The first few trips to Woodplumpton were to make a start with clearing out the inside of the boat and taking stock of what we had on the boat and what is missing. It appears that along the way all the deck fittings have gone missing, which is a great inconvicetion as I will have to get the deck fittings remade using patterns from other James Silver boats that are still around. The other James Silver's that are close to where I live are close in size to my James Silver and so I will be able to get the parts remade easily. Harbour Marine Services has restored a number of James Silver's over the years and the owner now owns Davey & Co so parts are not going to be a problem to source when the time comes to start doing that part of the restoration.The part of the first six months as been the removal of the old furniture and other items in the inside of the boat so it is going to be easier to get to the planking and make repairs the planking and where necessary the frames and ribs. As with any work that has been done on the boat a photo portfolio as been made up of all the areas of the boat as a reference point when put back the boat as we move forward with the restoration over the next couple to three years as we put the boat back together again.In the meantime, while I have not been able to get to Chance, I have been sorting out some of the parts that have been brought back each time I have made it to Chance. So if I can not get to Chance for whatever reason work is getting on with other parts of the boat.So the next time I get up to Chance it will be a matter of finishing off the dismantling of the interior and then make a start on the rebuilding of the hull.

The good part about the old fuel filter system on Chance is that it is a non disposable system, so it just needs cleaning at regular intervals to keep it working

Although there are a number of parts to the filter system it is straightforward and easy to dismantle and rebuild when it needs cleaning to maintain the engines

Just need a couple of parts replacing as they are worn out, apart from that the system is ready to be reused again for another 70 years or more

Putting a positive viewpoint on a negative situation

Hi Wooden boat forum Members
    One of the major problems having your boat in one part of the country and living in another part of the country is working out how best to make the best use of the available time and your resources and not to make any wasted trips which end up with little or nothing being done to move the project along.
    Over the past six months there as been a lot of problems with Covid and friends passing during Covid pandemic, however, their deaths were not due to Covid, their death were not Covid related. However, this did however, put pay to some trips and trips that were planned had to be rearranged for other times.
    So that was a spanner in the work while we sorted out the fallout from that situation. That aside the long term problem with my works van being off the road for such along time. Still not resolved at present, however, should be resolved shortly fingers crossed and toes as well.
    So after almost 6 months without my works van and having to use my wife's MPV as a stand in works vehicle. There should be light at the end of the tunnel. Before you say it it is not a train coming towards me.
    One thing to come out of all this negative situation is to make plans, plans. and yet more plans, However, never lose sight of the final goal to restore Chance back to her former glory and get her back on the water once more.
    One major problem with all this situation is that you have understand you will have to make a lot of sacrifices along the way. However, realising that they will be worth it all in the end.
    Although this past six months as seen a lot of dismantling of Chance to get to the inside of the hull and to some people this has been boring and uninteresting, it is all part of the restoration process the finding out how bot builders build Chance back in 1948 and how many of the methods of boat construction have not change over the time sine she was built.
    So although my family and I have not been at Chance as much as we would have liked this past six months with the restriction on travelling and general movement are coming to an end it should be possible to make more plans to visit Chance and get the project underway in a more speedy way and spend more time at Chance to get her in a condition to move her in May back to Essex and near to my workshop and yard and then the major part of the project can get underway this year and into the next couple.
    So although we have had a bad six months with many hurdles in the way we are as committed to the project as ever. We hope to make new friends and bring them along on the project to help us on getting Chance back to where she belongs.

Putting a positive viewpoint on a negative situation

Hi Wooden boat forum Members
    One of the major problems having your boat in one part of the country and living in another part of the country is working out how best to make the best use of the available time and your resources and not to make any wasted trips which end up with little or nothing being done to move the project along.
    Over the past six months there as been a lot of problems with Covid and friends passing during Covid pandemic, however, their deaths were not due to Covid, their death were not Covid related. However, this did however, put pay to some trips and trips that were planned had to be rearranged for other times.
    So that was a spanner in the work while we sorted out the fallout from that situation. That aside the long term problem with my works van being off the road for such along time. Still not resolved at present, however, should be resolved shortly fingers crossed and toes as well.
    So after almost 6 months without my works van and having to use my wife's MPV as a stand in works vehicle. There should be light at the end of the tunnel. Before you say it it is not a train coming towards me.
    One thing to come out of all this negative situation is to make plans, plans. and yet more plans, However, never lose sight of the final goal to restore Chance back to her former glory and get her back on the water once more.
    One major problem with all this situation is that you have understand you will have to make a lot of sacrifices along the way. However, realising that they will be worth it all in the end.
    Although this past six months as seen a lot of dismantling of Chance to get to the inside of the hull and to some people this has been boring and uninteresting, it is all part of the restoration process the finding out how bot builders build Chance back in 1948 and how many of the methods of boat construction have not change over the time sine she was built.
    So although my family and I have not been at Chance as much as we would have liked this past six months with the restriction on travelling and general movement are coming to an end it should be possible to make more plans to visit Chance and get the project underway in a more speedy way and spend more time at Chance to get her in a condition to move her in May back to Essex and near to my workshop and yard and then the major part of the project can get underway this year and into the next couple.
    So although we have had a bad six months with many hurdles in the way we are as committed to the project as ever. We hope to make new friends and bring them along on the project to help us on getting Chance back to where she belongs.

New month, new beginnings and a way ahead on the restoration project

Now the Christmas is a faded memory in the back of my mind and the year ahead is waiting to be explored. It is time to put behind us the problems that beset us over the last year with Covid and vehicle problems and plan the year ahead with renewed fire in our hearts to get on and make major headway with the restoration of Chance which over the past year as seen us make headway and then problem put hurdles in our way.
    This year my wife retires from her job that she has been doing for the past 38 years so that she can spend more time on her hobbies and help me more with my hobby the restoration of Chance our James Silver "Western Isles" Motor sailer we are currently restoring together and with the help of other family members and friends.
    Much of the work last year was spend dismantling the interior making sure to take lots of photos of the parts of the interior that were original and also the parts that have been altered over the years. Some of which will not be going back in as we hope to replace as much of the original fabric of the interior to the way Chance was originally built in 1948. The major hurdle that we have at the present time is the fact Chance appears to be the only one of her type as there are no records of a second Western Isles ever being build at James Silvers' Boatyard in Scotland.
    Although there are James Silver's of a similar length to Chance there are no vessel exactly like her to gauge her original interior. There are places on Chance that do show where the interior has been changed over the years when she became a liveaboard vessel for a number of years and using this as a basis to return the interior to the way it was originally laid out.
    So this month it is going to be a month to get the last of the interior stripped out and get the fuel and water tanks out of the engine bay along with the engine drip trays so that the major areas will be exposed so that these areas can be worked on and the planking repairs can get underway in earnest.

Hi Fellow forum members,Tomorrow should see me going back to Chance for the first time since before Christmas. I know it as been a long time, my day job had to come first as to most jobs that pay the bills. However, I have got some time spare and I am making the best of it by going to the boat and getting the last bits and pieces out of the inside ready to get on with the rebuilding of the hull. Which should start next month with getting the planks to be removed marked off and making a start to remove the most rotten planks first starting at the starboard bow and working my way aft from there. At the same time removing the portholes so that they can be refurbished and replaced after the planking is replaced with new mahogany. While I am up at the boat, the bilges will be continued to be cleaned out and so that any water that makes its way into the bilges can be pumped out quickly and easily using the bilge pump system still in the bilges and where that is not possible use a mobile sump pump to get rid of any water still in the bilges. That way keeping the bilges dry and clean and so if any thing gets dropped in the bilges it can be removed as we will be able to see where it fell and not have to go hunting through the dirt and mess that is in the bilges at the moment. So that is my plan for the next week while up at Chance continuing with her restoration.The other major job I have to get done this timer is the removal of the water and fuel tanks out of the engine bay as they are under the side decks and behind the up rights for the cockpit sole supports, so it should be a lot of fun. As long as I have six arms and legs and three bodies.

Isn't it the way. Thanks.

We are finally back in Woodplumpton after what is an age, One problem after another that kept us from coming up to Chance just before Christmas and into the New Year. We have finally made it back and ready to get on where we left off before life got turned upside down.

So the first job today was the removal of the cupboard top to expose the framework underneath and find out the condition of the framework. Some was in reasonable conidtion and other pieces were well rotten and turned to dust.

Once the top was off and the divider in the cupboard was removed the back paneling which covered up the ribs was removed to expose the planking

A bit of a mess was the answer about what I found, Badly renewed ribs which did not go the full length to the deck and where they what fitted in was not correct as they did not sister up the ribs past each other far enough

This photo shows that this side of the boat as had a large amount of re-planking over the years and that the planks were screwed in place with stainless steel screws and not re-fixed with copper nails and roves

One thing that as come to light is that there are a number of ribs broken in the same area of the bilge along a line with the waterline outside on the hull. This is going to be a major steaming operation to steam new ribs into the boat from deck level to the keel

As can be seen in this photo the cupboard and the hull planking is now exposed to be cleaned and checked for any rot or damage that will have to be sorted out before any framework is pt back in place, the hull will the paint will be painted before any framework is put in place once more.

Just one of the ribs that was replace at sometime in the past and not done correctly as any rib needs to go past another rib by at least a foot to eighteen inches to keep its strength in the hull.

The same rib never made it to the beam shelf. So the job here will be to take the rib out down to the keel and then refit a complete rib from keel to the underside of the deck.

This is the port side with the rib in place and the porthole aft of the rib which is missing on the starboard side.

On the starboard side the planks have been replaced but the rib was not fitted correctly and the porthole was never refitted.

The starboard side in the aft cabin is a jumble of doubled and sistered ribs which need to be removed and single ribs refitted as is the case on the port side which appears to not had so much damage or work done to the ribs. So in order to sort this area out there is going to be a wholesale removal of the doubled and sistered ribs and complete ribs from the keel to the underside of the deck done in this area.

In the bottom left hand corner of the photo it can be seen where the plank as given way from the butt block.This plank will be removed to ensure that the joints are under frames and not fixed to butt blocks

The port side propeller shaft under the floor in the aft Heads, this is going to be renewed in time when the new engines are fitted and a more modern stern gear is fitted

Glad to see you're back at it. There's a lot to be done!
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post

On the starboard side the planks have been replaced but the rib was not fitted correctly and the porthole was never refitted.

Do you have the missing porthole? What diameter is it, as I have a spare that might suit.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi Peerie Maa,the portholes are 6" glass opening portholes, all together there are four missing off the boat. If anyone knows of any more I would be very grateful so that i could replace the ones that are missing.

Regards

Simon Papendick

Hi Peerie Maa,the portholes are 6" glass opening portholes, all together there are four missing off the boat. If anyone knows of any more I would be very grateful so that i could replace the ones that are missing.

Regards

Simon Papendick

I'll need to go up into the loft with a tape measure to see what I have.
    If it is the correct size, you will be welcome to it.

The port side of the main cabin and the aft hatch which will need restoring at a later date.

This what I found when I removed the settee base and removed the thin paneling off the ribs. The hull is in reasonable condition considering the fact that the hull as not been able to get a good air flow round this part of the bilge and hull side.
    Like the starboard side there are three broken ribs in much the same place as the starboard sid, that is to say on the turn of the bilge which is a common problem with older boats that have hard a hard life or poor laying up over the years when the boat was laid up with blocking on ribs and not frames which can take the pressure more evenly over the area.

In this photo it can be seen that when a plank in the area below the settee backrest was replaced in the past it was to big for the space it was going into and split the plank edges on the plank above and below in the same area. This means that the plank above and below this plank will have to be replaced because of the damage the new plank did when it was fitted.
    That is just one of the things that get highlighted as you strip out any old boat,poorly done repairs and not taking the time to strip out the inside to ensure that the plank you are fitting is not going to damage the plank either side of the one you are replacing.

The aft roof hatch for the owner cabin is in reasonable condition it will need careful removing and restoring off the boat once we are able to get Chance under some cover. The same is going to happen to all the rest of the hatches once the boat is back down in Essex and the major job is started on the decks and aft cabin sides and the wheelhouse.

The settee back and its framework finally removed to expose the hull planking ribs and frames for inspection

The shelf above the settee back as also been removed as this was in a bad condition as well especially at the aft end where it was very rotten

The trucking in this photo is for the air take for the engine bay which for some reason unknown to me is blanked off at the top and the bottom end of it is missing the fan motor to pull air into the engine bay to keep the temperature down in the engine bay while the engines are running

One more broken rib and the last one in this area is still intact, however the top of the frame behind it is rotten at the top and will need replacing in the near future

The air intake trucking now removed and thew aft end of the settee bunk front just about to be removed to clear the area up for further inspection

The underside of the athwartship settee bunk front showing the fan housing for the engine intake fan.

Regards

Simon Papendick

Regret to inform you that the port has a 4" clear glass in a 5"dia spigot.
    Sorry.

Hi Nick,

The two portholes that are missing from the aft cabin at the aft end of the cabin sides are smaller port holes which are 5" spigot. It is a little odd that they should fit two smaller portholes on the aft face of the aft cabin sides. The rest of the portholes are the larger 6" glass portholes. Thank you for having a look at what you had laying around.

Regards

Simon

Hi Nick,

The two portholes that are missing from the aft cabin at the aft end of the cabin sides are smaller port holes which are 5" spigot. It is a little odd that they should fit two smaller portholes on the aft face of the aft cabin sides. The rest of the portholes are the larger 6" glass portholes. Thank you for having a look at what you had laying around.

Regards

Simon
    You are welcome to this 5"spigot porthole if you need it.
    DSC03978.jpg

Hi Nick,

Yes please, you just have to let me know how much you want for it.

Regards

Simon

Hi Nick,

Yes please, you just have to let me know how much you want for it.

Regards

Simon
    Not allowed to sell stuff on here.
    I'll PM you when I figure out the postage.

The port side in the aft is has it was when Chance was built in 1948 with single ribs and no doubled or sistered ribs in sight

The starboard side on the other hand is full of doubled and sistered ribs.So at sometime in the past there was a lot of work done to this side. There most have been a lot of broken ribs and rather than replace the broken ribs just added extra ribs. A short term job and one that is going to be corrected when the ribs are replaced with complete length ribs from the deck to keel. The main job will be to remove the deck covering or edging boards so that the ribs can be pushed down from the deck and steamed into position and held there while the copper nails are driven through the new ribs and roved into place.

This is the pile of wood that has come out of the galley area port and starboard sides the cupboard unit on the starboard and settee to port and the base unit up against the engine bay bulkhead. Also the heads compartment and the last of the wood in the aft cabin that was in the way of the hull.

Now that the last of the wood which was on this bulkhead was removed the outline of the original berth is now clearly seen. This berth is going to go back in and a very similar berth is going to go back in the starboard side, which from other James Silver's of Chance's age had to large single berth in the aft cabin.

The layout of Chance appears to be one of a two berth cruising Motorsailer with a single crew cabin in the forepeak. This appears to be the case as the forepeak appears to have skin fittings to lead you to believe that there was a sea toilet in that cabin along with a vanity sink and its own small wardrobe that was separate from the rest of the interior.

The galley was set out just behind the forecabin and aft of the galley area the main cabin for entertaining guests and the aft cabin set out of the owner of the day.

Working our way along the main cabin bilge, what did we find more ballast weights

The only problem we have to cut out more old bilge pump pipework from when the boat was built as the weights are under the bilge pump pipe

now a great cavernous space is left so that we can work on the rib removal and refitting without any part of the boat in our way.

So now the rubbish is in one skip bag

the scrap metal in another pile

The woodwork and frames in another pile so it can be used to make patterns from to rebuld the interior when the other work on the hull is completed.

After what seems an age, finally we have got the interior woodwork and framework cleared out of interior of Chance. Now the major work can start in earnest.

The forecabin now as all the framework of the berth and the chain locker bulkhead removed and just a pair of temporary floorboards in the place of the original floor boards that will go back in at a later date in the restoration

The main cabin now a great empty space with just the floorboards down to cover over the bilges

One of the jobs that has to be done when we next go to to Chance is to remove the original bilge pump pipe which goes along the middle of the bilge above the ballast and down into the centre bilge area

That along with the original fresh water feed pipe which runs along the starboard engine bed to toward the galley area in the cabin space between the main cabin and the forecabin

Now that the last of the framework is out of the aft owners cabin, the outline of the original berth configuration can clearly be seen. This original design for the owners cabin arrangement will be going back in place as it was when Chance was originally build in 1948

So the next jobs in the boat are the removal of the fuel and water tanks and a complete wash through of the bilges to clean the bilges ready to paint and then mark off the ribs and planking which needs renewing over the rest o this year prior to moving Chance down to Essex later in the year

So for the next fortnight we will not be able to go to Chance because of holidays and work commitments. We will be spending the time starting to make plans to repair some of the damaged cupboard doors and locker doors and in some cases making completely new doors as the original doors are rotten beyond repair. Thankfully the number of doors that are too far gone are just a couple. However, one of the doors is one of the main cabin doors, the centre panel is a part that is rotten and the panel is not marine plywood, but a single panel of 1/4 inch thick Mahogany which is 6 and half feet long and 18 inches wide. Trying to find a piece of good quality mahogany that size is proving to be difficult, the main pieces for the door are readily available. So I can make the door itself just have to find a supplier for the centre panel somewhere.

I have now got rid of the old engines and now looking for more modern engines to take their place with more horsepower and reliability for the years ahead. That is a project on the back burner for the moment while we take care of the planking and rib repairs. Thankfully the main part of the ribs that are broken or otherwise damaged is centred around the main cabin and the midships area apart from the area in the aft cabin on the starboard side which is full of doubled and sistered ribs which will all be coming out and getting replaced with single one piece ribs as they were when Chance was originally build.

Last time we were up at Chance we got a lot done, however, the one job we did not get done was removing the tanks which is the first job to tackle when we next go to Chance. Then it will be on to the ribs and planking to be started.

Lack of Feedback, Comments would b helpful to know what I need to change with my contain on my patreon page?

Dear readers of my Patreon page, I know you read my page as it keep a record of the number of people who have read the page and to anyone else. So far it has been disheartening the lack of interaction I have had on my patreon page and my YouTube channel about my restoration project on Chance. If there is anything wrong with the contain or it is boring the hell out of you please let me know and I can change the contain or close the page down.
    I have been a full time boatbuilder for the past 45 years and have a wealth experience in the boat building and restoration industry which I would like to hand on to future generations , I am husband and a father of a disable adult which makes life interesting on a daily basis.
    My son has help me from time to time on this project and my other project Mai Star II which you can follow on another Patreon page. My wife is helping to when her work shifts allow and I also have my brother helping with this project, so it is a truly family project.
    So if you know comment on the project and would like make follow the project by becoming a patreon or just following the project by liking and subscribing to my YouTube channel it will make mean a great deal to my family and I that there are people out there who are following our adventures along the journey to get Chance back afloat and once more being enjoyed as a family boat again.

Lack of Feedback, Comments would b helpful to know what I need to change with my contain on my patreon page?

Dear readers of my Patreon page, I know you read my page as it keep a record of the number of people who have read the page and to anyone else. So far it has been disheartening the lack of interaction I have had on my patreon page and my YouTube channel about my restoration project on Chance. If there is anything wrong with the contain or it is boring the hell out of you please let me know and I can change the contain or close the page down.
    I have been a full time boatbuilder for the past 45 years and have a wealth experience in the boat building and restoration industry which I would like to hand on to future generations , I am husband and a father of a disable adult which makes life interesting on a daily basis.
    My son has help me from time to time on this project and my other project Mai Star II which you can follow on another Patreon page. My wife is helping to when her work shifts allow and I also have my brother helping with this project, so it is a truly family project.
    So if you know comment on the project and would like make follow the project by becoming a patreon or just following the project by liking and subscribing to my YouTube channel it will make mean a great deal to my family and I that there are people out there who are following our adventures along the journey to get Chance back afloat and once more being enjoyed as a family boat again.