Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Asking for help to fill in the missing years of my James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer Chance

Thanks in advance Simon

This is the history of Chance from her launching to the present day as far as it is possible to track down at this present time.
    Chance was built in 1948 by James Silver at Rosneath Boatyard, Argyll & Bute. Scotland. She was designed by John Bain, his first true Motor Sailer design for James Silver. The design was called Western Isles – Chance was one of two vessels of this design. The whereabouts of the other Western Isles is unknown at present, although research is ongoing to track it down if the vessel still exists to this day.
    1948-1950
    Built by James Silver of Rosneath, Argyll and Bute, Scotland for Lovat Crosley
    Lovat Crosley was a tenor chorister with D'Oyly Carte Repertory Opera Company from some point in 1914 until February 1916, and again for the July 1916-June 1917 season.
    1950 -1955 Lloyds Register; Chance has her name changed to Token when she was owned by Captain (S) S.J. Read mm, CBE, R.D, R.N.R port of Southampton,
    Little is known of this owner at the present time
    1955-1970
    Token (Chance)
    Bought by Edward Donald Boxall and Edward William Boxall from Hercules Engineering Co. Ltd
    1970-86
    Moored at Moody's Boatyard on River Hamble for use as liveaboard
    Not known who the owner was during her time at Moody’s boatyard, ongoing research is underway with Moody’s boatyard if records available

1991?
    Sold to new owner, do not know the name of this ownebr /> 2006
    Dry docked for work to be carried out including replacement of some planking Owner Mr P Beckett he became owner of Chance (Token) as payment of bad debit of previous owner.
    Offered for disposal, free to good home for restoration Mr Simon Snowdon became owner from 2020 until June 2021

June 2021
    Restoration of chance begins at Woodplumpton by the Papendick Family

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

That is quite a project. Glad you made it through the surgery and I hope your health continues to improve.

The stack of doors to work through, a lot of scraping and sanding until we get back to the original colour of the Mahogany and then a lot of varnishing

This about half of the panels that are taken off the boat, the rest are still at the boat ready for collection next time I am up at the boat to bring back to the workshop

The doors come in a lot of different shapes and sizes

A couple of the drawers which are in need of a lot of TLC and in some cases rebuilding

The main cabin door on the wheelhouse side which is breached, however after a few minutes of sanding with a bit course sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease as come up well. Now a lot more of this to come.

A small start, however, it is a good start and you can see the difference straight away.

Hi Followers,

I have had a busy few days scraping off old varnish off Chance's cupboard doors, lockers doors and her cabin doors. Some of the doors have had little varnish on them since they were first made over seventy years ago. The inside faces of the cupboards and locker doors especially have had very little in the way of varnish over the many years since Chance was build. Whereas the faces of the doors facing into the cabins have had a number of coats of varnish over the years and there is a fair amount of build up of varnish on these surfaces. So doing one side of the cupboard and locker doors as been a straightforward job of just cleaning the surface and then sanding the surface to get back to the original colour of the timber when it was first made into the cupboard and locker doors.

The faces of the cupboard & locker doors into the cabin and the cabin doors have had a larger amount of varnish on the doors has these have been varnished over the years.

The other necessary job with doing the doors has been to remove all the door furniture and see how much of it can be saved and reused and how much will have to be sourced from places and businesses that still manufacture today. Some of the door and roof hatch furniture which Chance still has onboard and will have to be sourced as the work on her restoration continues and so it will be many hours of surfing the internet to find the parts over the next few years and collecting the parts as they become available.
    So this next week we will continue to do work on the doors and other items that are in my workshop, until I get a chance to get back up to Woodplumpton and Chance to collect more of the parts that are still on Chance and ready to come down to the workshop and get worked on.

Just a few more doors and then it will be the turn of the drawers to get sorted out

Just a couple of the pile of doors to do and then it will be the turn of the number of drawers from the boat to look at and in some cases make new drawers as some have so come rot at the backs where they were in contact with the hull planking and were in damp areas of the boat with little or no ventilation to keep the areas from being a breeding ground for wet rot.
    Now that much of the interior is removed and air can circulate around the inside of the hull and the fact that the decks are covered with weather proof sheeting the water is being kept out of the inside of the boat and the boat is getting a chance to get dried inside.
    One job I will have to do first is sort out the contents of the drawers and dis guard any items in the drawers which are just rubbish and keep any items that are going to be reused in the restoration and source other items if there are items that are more to be needed later on in the restoration of the boat.
    One thing that appears to come to mind is the need to get a number of the fittings re-chromed as a number have chromed fittings on one side of the cabin doors and cabin locker doors and the other side is just brass or bronze fittings which on the underside is still chromed. This appears to repeated on nearly every door so far on the doors I have removed from the boat whichever end of the boat it as come from so far.
    Tomorrow for the first couple of hours it will be more scraping to get the doors finished off as far as scraping it done and then it will be the turn of the electric sander to get rid of the last of the varnish and sand the doors back to their original colour ready to be coated with thin varnish to seal the surface until they are needed to be finished off and put back on the Chance later on in the restoration and before she is relaunched.
    Hopefully I should be able to go back to Chance soon and that some more of the items back to the workshop to be worked on and get back to working on Chance and get the engines out soon and so getting the hull stripped out ready to work on over the winter months and then ready to move back to my yard in the spring .

All these drawers are shot and the only part that is able to be saved are the drawer fronts.

As you can see the rest are either got rot or are falling to bits

one of the main cabin drawers which appears to be in good order until you look closer and see that the back part is rotten

One of the other drawers from the galley area a complete mess

While I am not able to get back up to Chance because of my van problems which still are not resolved. I am getting on with the bits I have in the workshop such as the doors and drawers off the boat which need sanding down and in the case of the drawers need rebuilding and one door also need rebuilding as it is rotten in the lower apart of the door and can not be repaired successfully without looking odd as the type of mahogany it was build out of is no longer available. So let the fun begin with the sander and chisels and dovetail saw over the coming months.

After what appears to be an age I hopefully from Wednesday this coming week I will have a van again although it is not mine it is still a Transit van, so I can get back on the road and get back to Woodplumpton and get on with finishing off the stripping out of the interior of Chance and get last of the furniture out of the main cabin and the aft heads and the wheelhouse roof off the cockpit and get ready to lift the engines out and remove the tanks for inspection and if possible be able to reuse the tanks if they are still in a condition to be used. If they are not then look about for replacement tanks for the boat.
    While I have not been able to get to Chance because of my recovery for a emergency operation which meant I had to not work for 6 weeks and that put a hold on doing any work of any kind for that period. So I have now started to strip down the cabin and locker doors and stripped the old varnish off the doors and started to sand down the doors back to their natural colour. It has been a very difficult job as the old varnish was hard to get off at first however, with a bit of elbow grease and a hot air gun and course sandpaper they are starting to look more like they did when Chance was first build.
    So I have not been able to do any major work on the boat itself, I have been busy with some of the smaller items which were already back at my boatyard.
    Other bits that I have back at the boatyard are some of the old original fittings such as her original Navigation lights that have still been on the boat after all these years. many of the door furniture are original as well. They appear to be still in god condition apart from needing re-chroming at sometime during the restoration when I have a large enough number to make it not a expensive job.
    As you can see their a few items that have survive the years, these will all have a fair amount of TLC and will be going back on the boat later on in the restoration.

Some of the smaller locker doors getting a first sanding down before finer grades of sandpaper is used to get the surface smooth ready for varnishingThe larger doors are yet to get started on, the one with the yellow tape is rotten at the bottom and will have to be remade, this will be fun as these doors were custom made for Chance when she was built over seventy years ago.

Some of the smaller locker doors getting a first sanding down before finer grades of sandpaper is used to get the surface smooth ready for varnishing

The larger doors are yet to get started on, the one with the yellow tape is rotten at the bottom and will have to be remade, this will be fun as these doors were custom made for Chance when she was built over seventy years ago.

Removing the old Dorman diesel engines from Chance & the last of the fore and aft woodwork will get removed at the same timeAs part of Chance's restoration, my brother and I will be removing the engines and putting them up for sale or if that fails weight them in for their scrap valve. They are now need to come out any way as there is work to be done in that part of the boat. especially as the engines are 73 years old and are not environmentally friendly and a pair of modern hybrid diesels are going to be. When the engines and tankage is out of the engine bay my brother and I can make a start on investigating that area of the boat for any problems with frames and planking which have not been able to be seen from the inside of the hull. There is one plank on the starboard side amidships about 30 cm below the waterline which as come away from the grown frame in the engine bay. At the moment it can not be seen from the inside so when the starboard engine is removed I will be able to investigate the situation more and find out what has happened in the area around the frame. It is likely that the frame or part of the frame will need replacing to put the strength back in that part of hull. While one of us will be unbolting the engines and removing the assorted engine equipment such as the engine controls and gauges. That should be fun work as it will be the first time any of the equipment or engines have seen the light of day in over 70 years. The other one will be removing the rest of interior woodwork so that all the of hull can be exposed to be able to do the work on the planking without any woodwork being in the way.

Quite a project! Worth it!

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quite a project! Worth it!

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hi Kevin,

Yes she is worth restoring her as she is one of a kind, The other Western Isles appears to have disappeared and so she is the only example of her design which came at a time when people wished to go sailing as well as motor around on their holidays post war.She was built in 1948 when people were returning to using their boats and some people were able to have new boats build. It is going to take a few years to restore her, however it is going to a great adventure along the way.

Regards

Simon

Motorsailers get me dreaming long cruises like no other boat type. Someday, maybe.
    Kevin

That is my plan for when I retire in 7 years time and go long term cruising with my family

Sorry of this topic has already been covered Simon, but are you familiar with Sea Lass?

https://rainshadownorthwest.com/2020...hard-sea-lass/

She is (or was) a Brown Owl, not a Western Isles, but I would assume that she has quite a bit in common with Chance/Token. Sadly I think she may have been scrapped. She was for sale by the Port of Port Townsend for back fees last year but I have not heard that she was ever bought. There was a thread here about her as well:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Port-Townsend
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Hi Chris,
    Chance or as she was called for a number of years Token. I have been unable to find any of James Silver built /John Bain designed Vessel anything like her anywhere. The James Silver yard have no plans of her in their archives and it appears that no other place appears to have any records. The main different in her design is that she as a very flared hull shape forward and a schooner shaped stem unlike other plum stem shaped bow. She does however, have the James Silver/ John Bain portholes and fixed window shapes that other Silver's have of the period when she was build. The other thing she as that other Silver's do not normally have, is that she as aft decks around her aft cabin. Her rig is a normal size for a true 50/50 motorsailer in that the area is large enough to sail at a reasonable speed under sail as well as under motor.

The restoration is going to take about 5 to 7 years to complete as I have to fit in around my day job as a traditional wooden boat builder which I have been for the past 44 years. You can follow my progress on my patreon page. https://www.patreon.com/Chance_1948

Regards

Simon

At last I am back up at Woodplumpton to get on with working on Chance once more. Hopefully with help from my brother John, we hope to get the engines out of the boat and into the trailer to take them back to my yard in Essex. To at first see if there is any chance of getting them up and running again or if not disposing of them. either way they will be out of the boat and we will be able to remove the fuel and water tanks from the engine bay at the same time and expose the hull to make an inspection of the inside of the hull in this area of the boat. However, before this can be done the small task of getting the wheelhouse removed to gain access to the engines to remove them from the engine bay once all the engine controls and other connections are removed whichever way they come apart.

So tomorrow morning the fun starts with uncovering the wheelhouse roof and getting to grips with the plywood and T&G which make up the roof and removing the outer edges to expose the ends of the wheelhouse roof beams to see if they can be released and the roof removed in one piece. Updates tomorrow evening on how we got on with this task.

The chain locker bulkhead in position before it is removed to expose the frames which it was nailed to with galvanized wire nails.

The yellowed patches are rotten wood which is the reason for removing the bulkhead in the first place

The patches of rot are all over the place on this bulkhead, the most likely reason for the rot is a lack of ventilation in this part of the boat and ths s going to be changed when this part of the boat is restored.

The bottom of where the chain locker base was originally sited

In the upper bow area it appears that it is only flaking paint and the condition of the hull is in reasonable and will just need to have the paint heat gunned off and be repainted once the air as got to the wood and given it a chance to dry out.

The rotten wood has been removed from the frames and it appears that the oak frames are just wet and they are not soft in any way so it is just a matter of letting the wood dry off naturally and when it is dry once more sealing the wood and repaint the whole area.

The same can not be said for the deck beam end which is rotten where the rotten bulkhead along with a leaking deck as caused the deck beam to go rotten. A job for when the deck gets removed and the ends of the beams can be exposed.

The lower part of the frames where the rotten chain locker bulkhead was nailed to the frames as appeared not to have affected the frames apart from making them damp, however the frames are in good order

The other rotten deck beam end caused by a leaking deck and lack of ventilation in the fore cabin

When my brother John saw the engine, he said to me let me at it I am going to enjoy doing this.

The engines had moire filters than you could need, it had these twin filters on the forward engine bulkhead, two more in front of each engine and and another on each engine. The fuel filters even had their own drip trays for any spills and the trays even have their own drain tap to remove any fuel out of the trays

The gearbox end of the engines even have covers over the gearbox coupling to protect the coupling from anything falling down on them

The original water locks in the exhaust system

My Brother John hard at work in the engine bay removed parts off the port engine to get it ready tp be lifted out of the boat later in the week

After a good day on Tuesday, It is hoped that Wednesday the engine removal section of the job will continue has before.
    John hard at work removing as much of the old bits ahead of the engine to let the engine come forward to come up out of the engine bay

The old twin fuel filters from the engine bay forward bulkhead

While my brother John is continuing to do the engine removal part of the restoration this time round, I am continuing to remove as much of the forward end of the boats woodwork to gain access to the hull for planking repairs

This a appears to be what remains of a holding bracket to keep the forward toilet in position in the fore cabin. I am still thinking whether or not to refit a forward heads in the boat given the limited space in this cabin in the first place. Time will tell if is going to be a good idea or not.

The forecabin porthole surround framework to which the side paneling was fixed too. I am not sure whether to put any paneling back in the forecabin as much of the rotten planking up forward on the boat is in areas behind the paneling, I will have to look at other James Silver's to see how they were done.

So today it is going to be much of the same. Removing more wood and get to grips with the dirt in the bilges and start to clean the bilge area up forward and move back to the engine bay.

The twin fuel filters which were fitted to the forward engine bay bulkhead and one of the the drip trays

The top of the fuel filters showing the fitting going into and out of the filter bodies

another yet another fuel filter

The port engine ready to come out with the use of a crane in the morning

hopefully the last photo of the engines in the engine bay and hopefully the next photo will show a empty space.

Having got rid of the water out of the bilge, I can now the inner keel or as it is sometimes called the hog, this is possibly the first time it has seen the light of day in over 70 years.

The two pipes in the photo are one nearer the keel is the forward bilge pump pipe and the pipe to the right of it as you look at the photo is the fresh water pipe from the water tank in the engine bay.

The forecabin bilge is also dry of all the water and bits of rubbish that find its way into the bilge and block up the lumber holes to let the water from one area to the next so that it could be pumped out using the bilge pump in the engineering room aft.

Just need to get the steam cleaner in the forecabin and clean down the cabin sides and thew bilge area to make it look a 100% best than it has done for years.

The galley sink outlet skin fitting a well over engineered piece of British engineering from the 1940, just a quick service and a bedding of the bearing surfaces and a light greasing and it will be good for many years to come.

Thursday as been a good day with the engines finally out

My brother John doing what he likes most dismantling things and getting to grips with the major jobs at hand. This was the first stage in getting rid of the wheelhouse roof so that we could n=make enough room to lift the engine out of the engine bay.

Next came the cutting the roof section out and doing it in such a way that it would not fall into the cockpit once it was cut through. on the forward side it was a straight cut and on the aft side it was an angled cut so that it would sit back in the hole that was made when cutting out the section of roof. the forward side as a couple of wooden supports holding up that end for added safety

Then the wheelhouse roof was off and laid up against the back of the wheelhouse so as soon as the engines were out it could go back in place and then the roof could be covered up once more.

John connecting the chains ready to lift out the port engine first as there was more room that side to lift that engine first.

The port engine out of the boat and the boat feels better for getting rid of 650Kgs of engine

Then there were two matched pair of engines

Back at home base, the boatyard workshopThis morning was spent unloading the trailer and sorting out the workshop having off loaded the van on Sunday morning of all the bits and pieces I had loaded in the van and trailer for the trip back from Woodplumpton on Friday afternoon which then turned into night after being holed up in a two and a half hour traffic jam on the motorway home. So I was not bested please having left early from Woodplumpton to then be held up on the drive home.
    The bits and pieces which I had off loaded out of the van was the drawers and the rest of the doors out of the fore and aft cabins and the galley area. The only doors left on the boat are the main cabin settee doors which I have not been able to remove has yet, A job for next time I go to Woodplumpton to work on the boat.
    Also offloaded my tools and wood that I have bought to do the replacement floorboards when I get a can to unscrew the original floorboards and replace them with the wood I purchased to replace them.
    So this morning was spent sorting out the workshop and organizing the tools and the drawers and doors, putting away the tools in their lockers around the workshop and then sorting out the doors and drawers into piles to start stripping the old varnish and making an inspection of the condition of the drawers and doors and making a list of the work needed to be done to either repair or replace the rotten or damaged drawers and doors for the most part they are in reasonable condition considering the neglect they have had over the past 20 plus years.
    After lunch it was out with the hot air gun and a three cornered scraper and a couple of screwdrivers and a container to remove all the door furniture and then make a start to remove the varnish. By the end of the day I was well over halfway through the doors and drawers. Having removed a lot of old varnish and finding a few rotten patches on the doors. It is early days and I am sure to find more rotten bits and pieces with the doors and drawers as a work my way through them.
    So tomorrow morning finish off the last of the drawers and doors and then at the weekend continue working on them. So in the meantime it is back to my day job as a full working boatbuilder working on other peoples boats.

The first two doors I picked up today both had areas of rotten wood in the same corner on both doors, so I will have to dismantle the doors and make up two new sections of door from the stock of mahogany I have around the workshop

The doors showing the areas of rot in the same corner of the doors

It appears to be only set of smaller doors that have any rot in as the other small doors appear to be rot free and just need a good sanding and rubbing down before they can be varnished

Even these larger doors appear to be free of any rot which is a good sign

The door for under the chart table is in reasonable condition apart from the spilt in the lower part of the door which can be glue together with a small amount of epoxy and then sanded down again and the varnished along with the other doors

Getting through the doors not many left now. The larger doors have a few areas of rot in them so will need to get some longer lengths of mahogany in for these door repairs

Having got the cooker off Chance and back to the workshop, Now on the work bench and in able to work on it at a reasonable height, it is possible to make out what the problems are and how much it is going to cost to put it right and use it once more

The top has come up reasonably well seeing has it as been neglected on Chance for such a long time.

The bottom of the burner well is full of god know what, this is going to have to come out and see what te condition of the burner well is.

The super burner bit is going to have to be replaced as it is broken and the part is still available from the manufacturers

Got most of the dirt out of the bottom of the bowl, now it going to need a good cleaning out and get rid of the dirt in the chamber and the fuel line cleaning out in the bottom.

The fuel flow is going to be stripped down and serviced and then rebuild

The hot plate as come up well and just needs coating with oven blacking

The oven just needs a good cleaning out and should be ready for use again once all the other bits are sorted

The restoration of the cooker is well underway, I am now in the process of ordering some new parts for the cooker. After the years of neglect it is not surprising that there are a few parts that have since better days and need replacing. The major items that need replacing are the super heater element in the burner, the draft fan and its controller and a piece of firebrick that needs renewing which is broken. Apart from these items the cooker has stood up well over the years.

The other parts such as the burner bowl, which needed its vent holes cleaning and the soot removing from the bowl itself, the fuel valve which needed cleaning out of dirt and water and the unit needed stripping down to clean and make sure it was all in working order, then the delivery lines from the diesel valve to the bowl needed a good cleaning as it was full of old wet soot, so it needed to get my airline out and blow out the soot. So now the delivery lines and fuel valve are cleaned, it is just a matter of getting the new parts and running up the stove and get it into working order and then get it being used.

Now in the run up to Christmas, I am putting a lot of the parts I have back in the workshop on the racking in the workshop until after Christmas and in the New Year. Start a fresh and get on with the hull repairs which is going to take sometime as there are a fair few planks to renew.

List, Lists, & more Lists

When doing any restoration projects who can get bogged down with list making and then more list making. So in order to make life for yourself easier. What I do is departmentalize the project in to different areas and work through each of the lists for that area until it is finished.

This for the most time works until the different areas overlap each other. However, by the time this happens first area is well underway and it needs to include the next area to complete the first area you are working on.
    This is the case with the chain locker bullhead which needed to get removed because it is rotten around the edges and in places making the places it is touching the hull got rotten as well.

The bulkhead now removed and the condition of the hull investigated for areas of rotten hull planking, it appears to be just one area on the starboard side just below the stringer at the lower part of the photo where the chain locker boards had gone rotten and spread to the hull in this area.
    The other area of concern is the ends of the deck beams in the same area, one end appears to be in a poor condition and will need renew later on when the boat is back in Essex.

The next job on my list for the forecabin was to clean out the bilge area of the forecabin and get rid of all the dirty water and rubbish that had collected in the forward bilge over the years. items such as screws, cut off copper nails, bits of old planking and other wood from panelling which had found their way in there and had ever been removed until now
    So started the removal of the rubbish until we could again see the bottom of the stem and the forward end of the keel once more after a lot of years covered in god know what.

The other problem with leaving this rubbish in the bilges was that the lumber holes to let the water drain down to the lowest part for the bilge was no able to happens and when any water got to the bilge pump it cogged the pump and then you would not be able to empty the bilge if the boat was taking on water.

This is the photo of the bilge under the galley area which is our get section to work on once the bilge in the forecabin is finally clean and any last bits have been removed from the forecabin before the next section can be worked on

So now we have got the majority of the rubbish out it is time to get under the floorboards and wash the hull down and clean out the lumber holes and so the water which collects in the bilges now, can be pumped out without blocking up the bilge pump again.

So when we get back to Chance after Christmas one of the first jobs is to turn into a bilge scrubber and get covered in dirt from head to foot. Once it is done it will be clean and anything that is dropped in the bilge will be seen from now.

Now it is run up to Christmas, it is time to make plans for the new year part 4 The jobs to do when not being able to get to Chance

One of the trips to Chance we were able to bring back with us a few of the loose items of the boats interior which we can work on while not being able to get to Chance for whatever reason and we can continue to work on parts of the boat.

This is one of the drawers from the interior which is a be worse for wear and is in need of replacing as parts of it are rotten. The frontsd are okay however, much of the rest is beyond saving and will have to be rebuld.

The general condition of many of the drawers which were in low areas of the boat are in much the same condition as they have been sitting in damp condition and rot as set in

Some of the drawers have faired better and just need a good cleaning and sanding down and repainting and varnish before putting back in the boat later on in the restoration

Some of the varnished panels are in reasonable condition however, some will need a bit of TLC and repairs doing before they go back in the boat

Starting to strip and sand some of the many doors that Chance as, lots of elbow grease and sand paper to go

Thankfully not many of the doors were find to be rotten apart a couple of small doors

and a couple of the larger doors, these are going to be fun to remake as it as been a number of years since I have made any doors of this type and size

Some of the smaller doors and lids which have been sanded ready to be varnished

Now it is run up to Christmas, it is time to make plans for the new year part 1

It has been a roller coaster ride this year from taking ownership of Chance back in May this year until now.

My first sight of Chance in over 9 years and time had been not good to her has I was about to find out when I got up close to her and inspected her.

As you can see the inside of the boat was a mess with **** every where and the floorboards covered in oily water and so the forward end of the boat was like an ice staking rink to walk on.

The back cabin was was just a pile of old covers and the doors off the cabin bulkheads just laid on the covers in no order or regard to keeping them in good condition, just laid as if them were rubbish.

Then came the big strip out of the interior and getting to grips with all the mess and **** the boat had collected over the past few years