Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Having made a start the last time as was up at Chance. I have made inroads into reducing the weight within the boat by removing the paneling from both ends of the boat which was stopping air circulating around the inside of the hull.

This dismantling job as high lighted the position of the original aft cabin berths and also in the fore cabin the position of the forward heads in the fore cabin with its single berth.

It would appear that the fore cabin was laid out as a single crew cabin with its own fore hatch and ladder.

After removing the modern berth arrangement in the aft cabin it appears that this cabin had to single berths and a small chest of drawers or a double berth to starboard and a small settee to port. When I am able to get hold of a set of plans for Chance I will be able to be sure of her lay out and put her back the way she was originally build.
    The largest job to come is the removal of the engines out of the boat. At present there is no visible way of getting the engines out of the boat other than removing the wheel house roof and craning them out that way. So when the time comes it is going to be a major job in its own right to remove her engine.
    Once the engines are removed then I will be able to remove the fuel and water tanks which from dipping the tanks will need replacing with new tanks.
    Next Time at Chance I will take photos of the engine compartment and the work needed to get the engines and tanks out of the boat

Once all the loose gear is off the boat it will be possible to transport her down to my Boatyard in Essex to continue the restoration.

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

At the moment it is a bit of running into dead ends when it comes to finding out about my James Silver Build Motor Sailer.

So far I have got that she was built in 1948 at the James A. Silver yard, That she was one of two build to the Western Isles design which was designed by John Bain as his first true Motor Sailer in that She could sail and well as motor . Chance's rig which is still with her shows that she was a true motorsailer as the masts and booms which are onboard would show that the size of the rig is large enough to have a good area of sail to generate a sailing rig. That she had four owners until 1980 when the Lloyd;s register stopped recording the change of ownership. After 1980 I have not been able to found out who her owners were after 1980. I know who her owner was after 2015. However, I do not know of who owned between 1980 and 2015. If anyone can help it would be helpful so that I can fill in the blank area between 1980 and 2015.

Finding out able her history after 1980 is proving difficult as there are not records of her that I can find at present to point down her position in the UK.

My family's work list for Chance week b/w 9/08/2021
    Sort out making temp floor boards for the fore cabin and main cabin from the chipboard in van and
    Finish off making blanks for cockpit windows and doors and cabin windows five in the cockpit and one in the main cabin
    Remove old diesel cooker out of main cabin and take off boat and put in van to bring back to workshop to be cleaned up and put up for sale
    Wash down all the surfaces as they come clear of old paneling and mark off any problem areas, vacuum up cabins has we remove old paneling and floorboards and clean out bilge as we go along starting at the bow and working aft.
    John to look at the wheelhouse roof to see if it can be removed in one piece or if it will have to be dismantled to remove the roof. Then john can make a start on the engine compartment and the machinery room, removing old wiring and taking photos as he goes along removing parts, Engines to be removed as soon as it is possible to get crane sorted out to get them out of the boat and brought back to the workshop to be worked on and cleaned up and sold.
    Remove all the rest of the cupboard doors and locker fronts: remove all cupboards as possible to gain access to the hull to get access to plank fixings
    Remove the aft toilet and pipe work and holding tank and deck fittings, clean up toilet and check to see if it can be made to work
    Clean out bilges of dirty water and photograph the weights while they are in position and then they need to be removed to the van and cleaned when back at the workshop, then bilges can cleaned so it is possible to get to planking for painting and inspecting for damage or rot. Get tarpaulins’ to cover up rest of boat, use the sheeting I have in the van and screw in place with battens in van.
    Try to get butterfly hatches off the deck as well as fore and aft deck hatches so they can be repaired back at the workshop. Make up plywood panels to cover the areas where the hatches are removed.

If I can achieve this list I will be happy and will take as many photos as possible to show how we got on at the end of next week.

This is a big job! Thanks for bringing us along.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Hi Jim

I am got a patreon page https://www.patreon.com/Chance_1948 which will highlight my progress on Chance on a fortnightly basis at first until I move the boat to near my own boatyard workshop down in North Essex which is over 250 miles from where Chance is presently stored. Thanks for following my project.

Regards
    Simon

Quite the boat. An incredible pedigree.

First sight of the interior from last time I was on the boat. The first of many dustbins full of old bits coming out of the boat and going in the skip of metal srcap binA small area of stringer with a small area of rot which needs cutting out and repairing The hull planking as a area of rot which will removed when the planks are removed and the whole area is treated with fugal spore treatment to kill off any spore in the ribs or frames The whole area of the hull above the starboard cupboard now exposed for the first time since Chance was build and now the air can get to the hull to help dry out the area The galley sink is now removed and so is the upper cupboard so more of the hull is exposed to add getting to the plank fixings so that she can be re-fixed the correct way with copper nails and roves and not just screwed together which appears to have been done on some of the planking that as be replaced over the years. The next three photos s show the galley upper cupboard being taken apart

First sight of the interior from last time I was on the boat.

The first of many dustbins full of old bits coming out of the boat and going in the skip of metal srcap bin

A small area of stringer with a small area of rot which needs cutting out and repairing

The hull planking as a area of rot which will removed when the planks are removed and the whole area is treated with fugal spore treatment to kill off any spore in the ribs or frames

The whole area of the hull above the starboard cupboard now exposed for the first time since Chance was build and now the air can get to the hull to help dry out the area

The galley sink is now removed and so is the upper cupboard so more of the hull is exposed to add getting to the plank fixings so that she can be re-fixed the correct way with copper nails and roves and not just screwed together which appears to have been done on some of the planking that as be replaced over the years.

The next three photos s show the galley upper cupboard being taken apart

My brother john adding me with getting the interior ballast out of the bilge so the area can be cleaned and dried out and inspected

The next few photos
    showing the condition of the bilges once the ballast weights were mostly removed some of the remaining weights are in need of a bit more attention to get them out of where they are wedged in position

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post

The whole area of the hull above the starboard cupboard now exposed for the first time since Chance was build and now the air can get to the hull to help dry out the area

That ledge on the beam shelf is old school. Is it alongside the location of the mast?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The lower stringer is the one with the rot not the upper one on the beam shelf which at the moment appears to be sound. the lower 2" x 5" stringer is not sound.

Regards

Simon

The lower stringer is the one with the rot not the upper one on the beam shelf which at the moment appears to be sound. the lower 2" x 5" stringer is not sound.

Regards

Simon
    Confusion much?
    I was not referring to any stringer, I was referring to the ledge fitted inside the beam shelf instead of a clamp fitted under the beam shelf. That thing supporting the ends of the deck beams.
    They were fitted in way of the mast beams, where a clamp would be fitted these days and if the beams were properly bolted down also replaced lodging knees.

The longitudinal which is rotten as nothing to do with the beam shelf and is not the one I am talking about in is the longitudinal under the window not the beam shelf above the window

The longitudinal which is rotten as nothing to do with the beam shelf and is not the one I am talking about in is the longitudinal under the window not the beam shelf above the window
    Sheesh.
    Is it not apparent that I know that although you were worried about rot in a stringer, I was asking about a detail of design and construction that has sod all to do with any hull stringer. I do know what a stringer is and does, after all.

If you are not interested in my enquiry and expression of interest in the boat, then fairy nuff

Chance was originally build as a ketch rigged motorsailer in 1948 by James Silver and designed by John Bain. It was john Bain first James Silver Build motor sailer. I do have the original masts and booms. however there is very little evidence of the position of the chain plates apart from a couple of sets of plugged fixing holes in the port side in the main cabin. I am still looking for the rest of the chain plate fixing holes in the hull. However, it appears she has not been rigged as a sailing yacht for sometime.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 08-14-2021 at 04:50 PM.

She was probably an indifferent sailor. Using the sails as an auxiliary to help the engine in a fair wind.
    Upgrade the engine to a more powerful modern unit and the sails become superfluous.

Hi Nick,
    Chance's mast are not short masts, in fact they are fairly long in length. the main mast is 34 ft in length and the mizzen mast is 26ft and the booms are a good length as well. So the sail area is a reasonable size. As for the engines the Dorman diesels in the boat are only 20 hp each. I hope to put a pair of 30 or 40 hp hybrid engines in their place and she should get the same speed as before. The speed the boat had before was 9kts so with the new engines she should be able to achieve this easily. I also hope to fix a back up generator as well in the space if not the engineering room. Also have more batteries in battery tanks. So What I lose in fuel tanks I will gain in batteries. First I have to finish getting the inside cleaned out of anything that is stopping me from accessing the hull from the inside. I have so far got almost all the interior ballast out of the bilge area and most of the cupboards and lockers out from the stem to the main cabin. So next time is will be the turn of the main cabin. As my Brother as got rid of most of the lockers and cupboards behind the engine compartment. So next time it will be the main cabin and make a start on the engines.

She is still a fair lump of motorboat to move and a not very efficient sail boat keel. Most of the classic motorsailer designs had low gaff rigs. A good bit of area on a low running or reaching rig. I wonder whether the taller bermudan rig was following fashion over function?
    I am guessing that there is no sign of a mast pillar to help support a tall rig?

Hi Nick,

On the inside of the boat in the position of both the main and mizzen masts there is major bulkhead that the tabernacle sits over. the tabernacle fixings are on both sides of the main cabin bulkhead with the bulkhead taking the downward pressure in both areas. the hull shape and sweeping lines under the water are more a kin to a sailing boat hull shape than a purely motor boat hull shape. She would not been much of a going to windward boat, however, I do think she would have been a good reaching boat. I also think being a Bermudan rig she would heal a lot less without the the next weight aloft making her more controllable in a breeze. I would wish to get hold of a set of her original plans to be able to see how she was rigged.

Hi Nick,

On the inside of the boat in the position of both the main and mizzen masts there is major bulkhead that the tabernacle sits over. the tabernacle fixings are on both sides of the main cabin bulkhead with the bulkhead taking the downward pressure in both areas. the hull shape and sweeping lines under the water are more a kin to a sailing boat hull shape than a purely motor boat hull shape. She would not been much of a going to windward boat, however, I do think she would have been a good reaching boat. I also think being a Bermudan rig she would heal a lot less without the the next weight aloft making her more controllable in a breeze. I would wish to get hold of a set of her original plans to be able to see how she was rigged.
    If you have the height of the gosnecks on the masts, the only unknowns are mast rake. All else is a matter of doing the sums.

A fruitful week on Chance getting to grips with some of the not so pleasant jobs which have to be done during a boat restoration

At the moment I am having to use my old small generator as the only form of electric power to power my electric tools and give me lighting in the boat. We I can get some funds available I hope to get a larger generator to give me more power to run more tools and lighting.

The first two temporary floorboards down in position, it is a start just quiet a few more to make before I am finished

Three quarters of the interior ballast removed from the bilges. This was placed from the front end of the main cabin and through the boat to as far back as the forward bulkhead of the aft cabin bulkhead. We worked it out as amounting to about 1 ton of pig iron that was laid in the bilge.

Exposing the hull side in the main cabin exposed a patch of rotten wood in the stringer, thankfully it is localised and the ribs and frames appear to be in good condition. Now the hull planking as a can to dry out now that a cover is over the deck and the air can now circulate around the inside which as not been exposed since 1948.

The old diesel cooker is now removed to be serviced and sold on as it will not needed after the restoration in completed

First of many bins coming out of the boat as more and more of the old furniture and rotten wood comes out of the inside to help expose the hull planking to access the hull planking fixings to ensure the planks are re-fixed the original way., i.e. copper nails and roves and not like some of the past repairs just screwed in position.

Between visits to Chance a lot happens, so that I can get on with my day job

While I try to get to Chance as often as possible, it is sometimes not always easy as this last two weeks as shown. About a month ago, I was able to buy a caravan to live in while up in the north West of England where Chance is presently in storage. I had to do a few things to the caravan to be able to tow it to be near Chance. Good plan, at first everything was going to plan, Bedding and other things needed to fit out our new home from home were sorted.
    Then the day we had set to go up country to where Chance is presently in Storage came around. The trip up country when well for the most part apart from the part over the Pennines, this part proved to be a major headache as the traffic on the motorway was going at about 10 to 15 mph for the best part of 8 to 10 miles. My transit van was more than capable of towing our new home from home caravan. So I thought, I spent the first four days working on Chance with the aid of my brother John who had come over from his home in Yorkshire for the four days we were planning to work on the boat. That part of the week when well and we got a fair bit done and made plans for the next time I was going to go up to work on Chance.
    Then the fun or not so fun part of the time up at Chance. When had found a place near to Chance to have the caravan for the time we were up there and also a place to keep it when were not working on Chance and we could move the caravan between the two places when we were up working on Chance. Then the Transit developed a problem with changing gears. At first I put it down to my tiredness. However, the problem got worse until the Transit broke down going for some shopping for breakfast, little did in know that this was going to take all day to get sorted out. My wife was with me and she was able to go back to the caravan while I stayed with the Transit until the recovery man and vehicle arrived. The first recovery man came and said he was not able to fix it on the roadside, however he was able to take my wife back to our caravan to get things sorted at tat end. Then I had a long wait until the second recovery man came and he was able to recover the Transit to our caravan so that it was with the caravan.
    Next morning they removed the Transit to their depot and the caravan were able to put our caravan into their storage area until it will be possible for me to get up to the North West of ~England to move the caravan to its storage area that we had arrange for it to be in while not working on Chance.
    So with Chance all covered over with sheets to keep the weather out of the boat and the caravan sorted at the caravan site in the their storage area, it was time to say farewell to Chance for a little while. Then make the 285 mile trip back home to North Essex and back to work or so I thought. We were a day late leaving the North West and before the trip up to the North West our car was in the local garage for repairs. When I got back home I when round to the garage to ask if the car had been repaired, only to get told that an electrical problem had developed and that they were trying to resolve the problem ASAP.
    So the next chapter starts, had to hand back the lease car after we had made it home. The company said it should be able to find another car, but were unable to help out at this time. So then we had to find another car, this proved to be a problem as every local company we phoned did not have any available vehicles. Until at the eleven hour one local company came through and we now have a car until Thursday evening. By which time either my Transit van will be fixed or my wife's car will. As on Friday we have to go to a close friend's funeral. So I am hoping that the car problems are behind us.
    Then I can make fresh plans for the next time I go up to Chance to work on her .

In between times it is back to my day job being a boat builder, repairing other peoples and keeping their boat in good order.

After also most two weeks without my trusty Transit van being off the road with clutch problems, I can return to working on Chance once more and get on with removing more of the inside wood work and loading up the trailer with the old diesel cooker, sea toilet and the large bag of scrap metal and died batteries. Clean up and service the diesel cooker and then put it up for sale the same with the vintage Baby Blake seas toilet which people have said some vintage boat owners wish to put in their boats.
    This time I will hope to continue with the main cabin dismantling and work out how to remove the wheelhouse roof to get the engine out of the boat and on to a trailer to transport them back to my workshop to get cleaned up and put up for sale to any one who wishes to restore the engines for their own project.
    I also have to work out how to get the fuel and water tanks out and get prices for replacing them as they have been in the boat since she was build and by now will be in a very poor condition. Having being able to see one of the tanks from the engineering room it can be seen that there is a fair amount of rust on the tanks. Although they are not leaking at the moment it would not take a lot to see that they may soon do so in the near future. So while the engines are out it is as gooder time as any to replace the metal tankage. Also to work out the pipe runs for the water system and also the wiring runs through the boat.

What a day, today has been travelling across the country from one side to the other side. Starting on the east side of the country and driving over the Pennines to the west coast. Yesterday after a very tiring day driving up the country from my home in the south east of the country in North East Essex. Because of a car crash on the one of the major north to south roads in the country I was using to get to my brother's home and the fact the crash was between the two slip roads I could use to take a different route to my brother's home. That Life, Having had a good nights rest I set off to Chance to get a few things sorted and clean up round the boat. Namely cover up the cooker and the toilet which were not covered up properly when I had to leave last time because of the problems with my Transit van. The clutch problem which was to be repair this last week. It was repaired but then failed after a short while and now back to renting a car to keep working. However, that is a story for another day when I am not so stressed. I did get to Chance this morning to find her in good order with the covers I put over her still in place and doing their job of keeping the rain and weather off the deck and keeping the inside of the cabins dry. So that next time I am up working on Chance the weather will not be a problem that will stop me and my family working on her interior. I will be posting a few short videos of the boat in the coming days to highlight what as to be done over the next few weeks and months. The three main areas to finish off are the toilet room and the main cabin cupboards and settee areas to expose the hull in these areas and finally the engine room / compartment which has to have the engines and tankage removed and disposed of and in this area it is going to be completed re-designed to bring it is line with modern requirements. Lets hope I get my Transit van back on the road soon and I can get on with my work on Chance and make a living doing my day job as a boat builder, which helps fund these early stages of Chances' restoration .

This coming week, I will spend sorting out what parts I have at my workshop

Because of my van problems and the fact, I am unable to get to Chance for a couple of weeks. My day job taking priority, that is repairing other peoples;s boats before my own fine vessel. I will put aside some time after work to sort out the parts of Chance's interior woodwork I have already got at my own boatyard. Most of it is in fair condition, however, it will all need re-vanishing after all the old varnish is removed and the bare wood is sanded back to the original grain and colour. A long job, but a necessary job to bring back the colour of the original colour of the wood when Chance was originally build in 1948.
    It appears that Chance was build using South American Mahogany and not like a number of other James Silver boats build around the same time which were build using Teak. May be the original owner did not wish to have her build of Teak or it was not available when she was being build. I will have to do some more research in to why this was the case. It may be just cost, who knows.
    Some of the parts which came back after the first couple of visits to Chance are in poor condition and will need to be renewed Parts of the drawers and doors have areas of rot in them and will need to be renewed. The old parts can be used as patterns to make the new drawers and doors. The next problem will be trying to find good quality mahogany with a colour close to the original.
    So it is going to be a task to set up a work station in my temporary workshop out in the yard to work on the parts that are already back at my boatyard. The first job will be to wash the old parts down to get rid of any dirt and to check out the condition of each part before making pans to to sort out what needs doing to which parts . So it will be a job for one of my apprentices catalog each part and give me a report on the course of action for each part.

Thanks for the update. However slow, progress is progress. It's a bugger to have to sort out a vehicle's problems when you have committed time to work on your boat.
    Best wishes as you move forward.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

This coming week, I will spend sorting out what parts I have at my workshop

Because of my van problems and the fact, I am unable to get to Chance for a couple of weeks. My day job taking priority, that is repairing other peoples;s boats before my own fine vessel. I will put aside some time after work to sort out the parts of Chance's interior woodwork I have already got at my own boatyard. Most of it is in fair condition, however, it will all need re-vanishing after all the old varnish is removed and the bare wood is sanded back to the original grain and colour. A long job, but a necessary job to bring back the colour of the original colour of the wood when Chance was originally build in 1948.
    It appears that Chance was build using South American Mahogany and not like a number of other James Silver boats build around the same time which were build using Teak. May be the original owner did not wish to have her build of Teak or it was not available when she was being build. I will have to do some more research in to why this was the case. It may be just cost, who knows.
    Some of the parts which came back after the first couple of visits to Chance are in poor condition and will need to be renewed Parts of the drawers and doors have areas of rot in them and will need to be renewed. The old parts can be used as patterns to make the new drawers and doors. The next problem will be trying to find good quality mahogany with a colour close to the original.
    So it is going to be a task to set up a work station in my temporary workshop out in the yard to work on the parts that are already back at my boatyard. The first job will be to wash the old parts down to get rid of any dirt and to check out the condition of each part before making pans to to sort out what needs doing to which parts . So it will be a job for one of my apprentices catalog each part and give me a report on the course of action for each part.

How my life has changed in the course of a week.It is amazing how your life can change in a matter of days and your view on life can change and your priorities shift. This time, last week I had a quiet Saturday after a busy week at work doing a number of jobs on my clients boats over the course of the week and was looking forward to a quiet weekend at home with the family and planning our next trip up to Chance to continue with her restoration. Over the month or so my family with the help of my brother John had been getting on well with dismantling the furniture on the inside of Chance. Having cleaned much of the aft cabin and forecabin back to the hull apart from the main bulkheads between the cabins which keep Chance in her correct shape. Much of the galley area had also been removed and so had much of the aft heads and the engineering room. Also 3/4 of the internal pig iron ballast had been removed at this point in time. This left just the remains of the locker in the galley area and the small amount cabinet work in the aft heads to remove then make a start on the main saloon. This would leave the cockpit to do. This being the biggest challenge, the removal of the engines and the tankage in the engine compartment under the wheelhouse floor. Then life took a curve ball. Last Sunday night life was turned upside down in a way I did not see coming. I felt a little under the weather thinking it was just that I had push myself a bit during the previous week. Little did I know that the next few hours that I was going to go into my local area general hospital for emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia. Because of my age and other health issues the surgeon laid it out on the line. If I do not operate on you now in the next few hours you will die as you will die of blood poisoning. However, because of you underlaying heath issues you have a 50/50 chance of coming through the surgery. So I took the way that gave me the only option to survive. Thankfully I am still here to be writing this blog to you my patrons. It is good to be alive and still in the game, however with a different view on life and work in general. In the weeks to come it is going to be a time of re-evaluating life's priorities and offloading the rubbish around ones self's especially at work and making plans for the future. The main plan is to clear as much of the work in my yard as possible by employing boat builders to get the jobs in hand down to a manageable amount so that when I am back on my feet I can do more supervisor work until I can get back to a place where I feel able to get back to work. This is a the plan for my future. The restoration of Chance will be put on hold for a couple of months while I sort out my yard and workshop so that there is room for the boat to be back here in Essex. So over the next few weeks there is going to be a lot of planning on how to get the ball rolling and get get on my feet and get my yard up and running again.

Serious stuff. It is good that you are still here, and it sounds as thou you will be sensible, follow doctors orders and heal properly.
    Best wishes.

Hi Nick,

I will be sensible, Chance is going to be my best therapy, she will keep me grounded as I take the slow path to recovery. Just got to make new life priorities and live a healthier life style one with less or little stress in it going forward.

Regards

Simon

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Good Luck with your own body,heal well.
    But that boat looks too far gone.
    These boats cannot be left on "ignore" for decades.
    bruce

Chance is not to far gone as there is more good wood than rotten and I will be be more supervising and less hands on work. The hands on work will start again by the end of the year.

Simon