Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Default Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

I have just taken ownership of a James Silver 40ft Western Isles motor sailer built in 1948 which is in need a major restoration from hull planking to renewing parts of the aft cabin sides tyo repairs to the decks before the interior can be started on. This project is going to take about two years or may be more depending on how much work as to be done. Having replaced a fair amount of planking for one of it former owners about 8 years ago. I know that a fair amount of the hull in good condition. I am going to look at the boat over the next couple of week to set out an plan of action to get the project underway again and get her back into commission and underway.

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

There will be a demand for photos you know....
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Default Re: Token A major restoration project of a James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer

Hi
    As soon as I get to the boat next weekend I will take a number of photos to show what I have to do and the size of the task ahead. The main job is to get her covered up with some sheeting. Also put blanks over the windows where there is no glass in the windows to keep the weather out of the interior.

A good start.

This first photo is from a time when Token was in commission

Token on a boat Transport to its present home in the North West of England where I have find her.

Arriving at her present home for the next 6 months while I get her ready for the trip down to Essex where my boat yard is situated

Token being lifted off the transport and put in the yard in the North West of England where I intend to work on herto get her in a condition to bring her back to North Essex.

An important restoration. Best of luck with her. A complete assessment will be very interesting. I shall follow every post.

I know this is not helpful but I wish you could display larger photos.

I will take larger photos when I am at the boat next. These were taken be the present owner. Given her history it will good to have her back to her former glory and on the high seas again. Hopefully when she is finished take her back to her birth place.

That is a lot of boat!
    I'll be following along.
    Is it your intention to keep it as your private yacht or to restore and sell?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Yer a brave man Charlie Brown.

After the 17th of May I will going up to Token and making a further inspection of the boat to then plan the next steps in the Restoration of her. Having worked on her in the past the boat is known to me. Then part of the Starboard side of the hull as been planked with Mahogany as was the hull when it was first build. The main task this time is to remove the rotten and damage on the port side. This was the side that did not get done before. However, it needs some major work this work.

First job when I get to the boat is take lots of photos of the boat has it is now.

Mark off the areas of the hull that need replacing and to what extent the work needs to go to remove all the rotten wood.

Cover up all the windows where there is no glass in the wheelhouse and make it weather tight and the same with the cabin, then get a cover to cover the whole boat while I get chance to build a temporary shed over the boat

Make a start on removing as much of the interior to gain access to the inside of the hull to get to the hull to repair or replace any major parts such as fuel and water tanks, fuel lines and electrical cabling.

List all the parts as they are removed and then put them into storage until they are either repaired or renew when that part of the boat is worked on in the future.

After I come back I will post a video and photos on my you tube channel to show the task ahead of my family and friends and myself over the coming couple of years.

There is Chance in the background One of the major areas of rotten planking that needs replacing On the whole the boat looks in reasonable condition when you get past the poor condition of the paint work and look under the surfaceMuch of the rotten wood is in areas of poor air flow in the past and the lack of been look after over the past few years

There is Chance in the background

One of the major areas of rotten planking that needs replacing

On the whole the boat looks in reasonable condition when you get past the poor condition of the paint work and look under the surface

Much of the rotten wood is in areas of poor air flow in the past and the lack of been look after over the past few years

single rudder which was normal practice in the period when Chance was build

One area that need attention to stop the bow moving a block under the bow to support the forefoot of the keel

Dear Forum members,

I am looking for information about the early part James Silver Western Isles TSMY Chance (Token) life, such as who owned her, the dates that she was owned by different people during her long life. I do not need any information along the last 15 years as I know who owned during this time. It is just her time until the 2000. Also does anyone know if the second Western Isles is still in commission or if she as long since gone into the mists of time.

Kind Regards

Simon

Simon,
    From Lloyds Registebr /> First entry, 1949, Chance, owner Lovat Crosley at Greenock, again in 1950.
    1951 through 1955, Token, Capt. (S) S. J. Read, Southampton
    1956 - 1970, The Hercules Engineering Co. Ltd, Southampton
    1970 - 1980, Edward W. and E.D. Boxall, Southampton
    1980 the last year of published Lloyds Registers
    Same engines throughout, listed as "2 oil engines, 4 cyl, 90 x 120mm, Dorman

Hi Trad,

Many Thanks

Regards
    Simon

Hi Trad,

Many Thanks

Regards
    Simon

Hi Forum members,Now that I have the true ownership details of Chance, I can now build a better picture of her past from the available information. It appears that she started her life in Scotland until 1951 and that after that time she moved to the Southampton area until 1980 when she does not appear on the Lloyds and her whereabouts are not recorded anymore. I know of her whereabout after 2012, it would be good to know where she was between 1980 and the 2012. So that I can fill in the missing years.

Hi Forum members,

On my way back to Chance this morning to start the inventory of the boat and to make a start on cleaning out the cabins and photographing and videoing the condition of the boat to work out how much of the boat needs restoring and how many new items will need to be sourced from my different contacts within the marine trade. Also cover up the wheelhouse windows and any of the other holes in the hull and cabin sides/ So it should be an interesting couple of days ahead while we make in roads into the restoration ahead. I have help this time with my wife and my brother lending a extra pair of hands with many of the larger items such as the masts and other heavy items on the boat.

A view out of the wheelhouse from the steering position along the long foredeck which at the moment does not have its main mast or guardrails fitted which will be restored and hen refitted at a later stage of the restoration

The view forward from the starboard side showing off the butterfly skylights and forecabin hatch which in time will be removed and restored and re-varnished to look like they were when she was originally launched in 1948

The original compass which is going to go to be restored by a compass restorer

The masts for the boat which apart from a bit of age damage are in reasonable condition which with a good sanding and lot of varnish will look good once more and will be able bed on new sails and be able set sail on the high seas again

A couple of family members heling get the restoration project underway and I am sure there are going to be friends to help along the way

The original main saloon bunk back and it doubles as a bunk bed when in

This photo is of the engineering space aboard Chance full of old out of date equipment and wiring which is all going to be removed and new up to date electrical wiring and equipment will be fitted to bring up to date and safe.

Just a sea of old old out of date equipment and wiring and bilge pump

Much of this equipment as not been updated in decades if in some case never

The original heads in the aft cabin with its sink and original toilet

Having taken off the ensign and flag box off the main bulkhead we can see the colour of the original wood finish.

Simple and down to earth engine controls, I will looking to find if the instruments can restored or new original looking gauges can be found

The ships wheel is from the period of her launch and cam from Simpson & Lawrence of Glasgow

The forward bilge area which is full oily water and dirt of other types which will be the first area to be cleared out so that bilges can be cleaned and repainted

The main saloon/ cabin starboard side an area which will need restoring back to it former glory and condition

Some old speed and depth equipment

one of the boats former owners long since flown the nest

The galley area port side with an area for a gimballed cooker

another view of the forward bilge with a pond pump laying in the bilge which was got to work and was able to remove much of the water

The forecabin which not original and there should be to bunk and a toilet in this area

There is a spilt plank below the rubbing strake between two butt joints which will need to be investigated as a matter of priority

The reason for this is two fold, firstly to expose the inside areas of the hull and gauge the extend of the rot in the planking behind parts of the hull covered by panelling and lockers. Secondly to be able to re-fix the hull planking in the same way it was done originally copper nails and roves and not to relay on just screws. Because this is going to be a full on restoration the rebuilding of the hull planking will be in the same method as used when Chance was built in 1948.

The forward cabin is especially in need of measurement being taken and photograph of all the items that are in their present position. However, looking at other James Silver's of a similar size. The hull was not panelled out like Chance, but bare painted hull will mahogany battens screwed on to the frames and ribs to act as back rests for the bunks when the crew are sleeping in the forward cabin. I expect to find evidence of this when I remove the present panelling off the frames as it is done presently.

In the aft master cabin the layout is completely not originally as the cabin bunk arrangement is athwartships which is not the way this was originally built on other James Silver's of a similar age and size there are two bunks aft and a chest of drawers in the aft end of the cabin. The hope is to remove the present arrangement and see if there are witness marks of the original arrangement and if there is a chance there are plans available which will make it possible to re-fit the original from her build plans and put it back the way she way in 1948.

So that is my plan of action for my next trip to Chance and her ongoing restoration

James Silver Western Isles TSMY Chance Restoration Project

I am now the owner of the James Silver Western Isles TSMY Chance on the 5th of May 2021 from Simon Snowdon, Chance is presently in a crane hire yard in Woodplumpton near Preston in Lancashire.

First day at the Chance was to take a good look around the boat and see how much work was going to be needed to make her sound to move her back to Walton on the Naze where my yard is situated.

The second visit to Chance was with my family and Brother John who helps removes the rubbish from the inside of the cabins. Loose Items, such as the Masts and Booms, which were placed under the boat on blocks to keep them off the ground and keep them straight and out of the weather.

Other items such as cupboard / locker doors and drawers were removed and put in my works van to be transported back to my workshop to be put into storage until they are repaired or new doors and drawer are made where necessary.Other rubbish which included old vacuum clearer and a number of other items which were removed so the floorboards could be accessed to take a look in the bilge areas of the hull to see what was in them and how much work was going to be needed to clear and sort out this area of the boat.

Then my brother and I put a partial cover over the back of the boat to keep the weather off the hole in the transom and over the aft cabin which is in a bit of a poor condition at present and a partial cover over the cockpit windows to keep the weather out of the cockpit area as well.The next time I go up to Chance, I will start to make a set of temporary floor boards and remove the original floor boards, so that they can be cleaned up and remove all the dirt and oil which is covering them and the bilge at the present time.

At the same time start to remove the panels in the sides of the forecabin and see what they are hiding behind them. Then turn our attention to the aft cabin and remove the aft cabin berth which is not the original berth when Chance was build If we have time we will hope to remove the internal ballast which is the bilge area in the main and forecabin. Once the ballast weights are out of the way then the job of cleaning the forward end of the bilge can begin and see the extent of it condition.

The following time it will be the turn of the removing all the fore and aft lockers and cupboards so that we can access to the hull from the inside in all the cabins.
    Carefully taking measurements of all the parts we remove so that as much as is possible to refit can be refitted at a later date once the hull repairs are done and the hull is repainted on the inside with bilge paint in the bilge areas and white gloss in the areas which were painted that way when she was first built.

This coming week is going to be a busy week on Chance, as I am going to be there for five days on the boat. The first job will be to make a start on removing the forecabin hull panelling which is not original and is not making not easy for the inside of the hull to keep air circulating around the inside of the hull and making it a damp trap. Which is bad news for any wooden boat and good ventilation is a must have to keep air circulating below decks. Then turn my attention to the aft cabin berth which as a non original and is stopping me from accessing the hull sides and bottom. The present berth is set out athwartships and not fore and aft as it was originally set out. and the whole area is going to be redesigned to go back as it was originally made with two single berths and a chest of drawers between the two berths. Then the aft heads compartment is going to come to bits as this is another damp trap. The more that I can remove to get air to the inside of the hull the better. It will also make it easier to refit the planks the way they were fitted originally with copper nails and roves and not the way some restorers and boat builders do which is to just re-fix the planks with bronze of stainless steel screws. As my master boatbuilder told me when I started my apprenticeship 44 years ago. Nail where you can and screw where you can not nail. Not nail a plank because it is easier to just screw a plank on, I have more faith in a well nailed copper nail and rove than any screw which these days are not made to last anytime at all. Once the three majors jobs are done then turn my attention to the clearing the bilge and make a start on the engine bay sorting out the wiring and the engines and the tankage which is in the engine bay outside the engines then tanks are under the sides decks between engines and the hull. Pictures to follow during the course of the week.

The aft cabin berths now half removed yo expose the original berth design underneath the berth design put in by a later owner

part of the original framework which is going to be re-instated later in the restoration

one of the original davit sockets still bolted in the boat

the steering cable tubes for the steering wires to run through

a good clean up in the aft cabin once the remaining wood is removed and a temporary floor is laid in place of th original floor boards which be cleaned and repaired as necessary

the fore cabin has it was this morning will be posting a photo tomorrow to show what it is like now

The aft cabin has had the berth removed to find the old position of the original berth design behind the more modern athwartships berth which is not the one Chance was built with in 1948

The original framework and paint work showing how it was originally made up

Major rebuilding needed in the aft end with a completely mew transom to be made and deck repairs needed for the davits can be placed on their original position

As I said last night I would post the before and aft photos of the fore cabin

Firstly the before phot

The pile of rotten and damaged panelling

The after photo with the panelling gone and the gull able to air circulating round the inside of the hull for the first in over 20 years

The next area to get the wood work removed to get air to the hull

These next two photos show the area of the interior which will be carefully dismantled to gain access to the hull so that the hull fixings will be exposed and will be able to be re=fixed in the same way they were when Chance was built in 1948

The major change in this area is to remove the diesel cooker and re-instate the cabinet work that was here when she was build and put the cooker back in the galley area on the port side where it was originally positioned

The port side of the main cabin is where there was a heater to heat the main cabin, There will be a heater placed there, however it will not be the only form of heating in the boat when she is restored as the there will be blown warm air heating to the whole boat.

This whole area will be re-build to look has close to its original layout and any changes that were done over the years removed and the interior design reconstructed

Last edited by jstarboats; 07-10-2021 at 05:22 PM.

The same is true of the galley and main cabin hatches, these to have been nailed down and will need careful drilling out of the nails holding the hatches down before ant work can be done on these beautiful hatches, They just elegant skylight hatches and show off Chances' beautiful lines

The position of Chances' main mast tabernacle which along with Chances; mizzen mast tabernacle will be re-instated towards the enf=d of the restoration when she will be re=rigged as the Ketch rigged motor sailer e=she once was

The vast foredeck which will be filled with the mossing deck fittings she once had when she was last in commission