Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Hi all, looking for help with finding insurance for a wooden boat built in 1978. Have been getting rejected a lot. I have looked in the old forum threads here - but a lot of the carriers I have found are now much more restrictive than in the past...

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Default Re: Insurance

Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I had (and have) no issue with Progressive through Boat U.S.. A ”suitability for insurance” survey was required. I have liability only. $75 premium,.. 1957, 33 ft Hubert Johnson Jersey sea skiff.

SeaDawn, welcome aboard! Did you buy Coqueze?
    NedL, interesting. I tried BoatUS and they wouldn't insure my boat because it's over 50 years old.

I had State Farm on my 42' Grand Banks (liability & pollution) for $89.00 a year. Recently sold that and went back to a commercial salmon boat, wood, built 1960 in Canada and 36'. Carriers are no longer giving liability and pollution only for wood commercial vessels (a change I expect will catch up to the recreational market). So i needed a $540.00 survey and hull & machinery insurance for just under $3K/year. That's non-winter coverage, and doubles if I take a crew member.
    1960 LeClerq 36' Commercial Salmon Troller F/V Alcor

Hagerty
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

Thanks all,

Jim Grundy reached out to me - need to get Grundy the completed survey (thank you Jim). Hagerty declined. Nationwide gave me a quote for liability only, but don't yet know what kind of coverage this gives, and seems expensive for liability only for a recreational sailboat - so, still looking. I would think all the yahoos out there with overpowered motorboats would be more of a risk than an old codger in a wooden sailboat on Long Island Sound...Wonder why wooden boats are considered to be more risk?

Too many decrepit, poorly or unmaintained wooden boats out there. Their risk pulls all of us down with them.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

I just got my renewal from Geico (sorry,... above I was thinking Progresive, it’s Grico). My premium went up!!!!
    From $75 to $77.

I'm looking for insurance too. Geico/boatus canceled my insurance when my cc# got changed and they didn't bother to tell me. Now they won't insure older boats and basically told me to xxxx off

In speaking with Hagerty I asked about charter insurance and that was the end of the conversation. She said just asking meant they couldn't cover me.

So far Heritage Marine Insurance is the only place that has even given me any hope. I'll report back if I find out more. Hopefully someone else out there can offer more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Carter View Post
    Hagerty
    + 1

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I was having trouble , then I called her “composite”not wood. A few pumps of epoxy... bobs yer uncle.