Thread: 50th Small Craft Workshop, Mystic Seaport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 50th Small Craft Workshop, Mystic Seaport

Folks,
    This year it will happen. Three days for the John Gardner Small Craft Workshop. First one was held 50 years (Plus 1) back. It was supposed to happen last year in conjunction with the WoodenBoat Show, and we know what kind of year it was.

IMPORTANT: it is going to happen MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. It will run for three days. Mystic's Livery fleet will available for use for participants all three days. But bringing your own boat is what I like to do. TSCA is working on a slate of activities, including some cruises, perhaps the reintroduction of the versatility race. The Watercraft Hall in the Rossie Mill will be open on Saturday afternoon only but the workshop runs all three days. The Hall will be staffed up with the knowledgeable volunteers that take care of the collection, and I reckon I will take a tour up there Saturday as well.
    Here is the registration page: https://www.mysticseaport.org/events...raft-workshop/ Twenty bucks gets you all three days.

There will be berthing available on the Conrad Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for twenty bucks.

I'll bring my Good Little Skiff down from Maine, Pete Culler's design inspired by the first workshop. I'll have its sprit rig and sculling oars, and if you are real good you can try sailing it, leaving the rudder ashore. It would be fun if we can get some Good Little Skiffs , and especially if we can get a small fleet of Pete's boats.

Back in the 80's I used to be able to get 60 boats or more and maybe 300 folks at these. Can we do it again?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: 50th Small Craft Workshop, Mystic Seaport

I'll be seeing if the Good Little Skiff is swelled this weekend. I can i live with last years paint and maybe a few rust spots from those 45 year old iron fastenings. Glad I replaced the critical stuff like the bottom a few years ago using bronze.

Anyway, hope that some of you will be coming, we'll have fun.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: 50th Small Craft Workshop, Mystic Seaport

I plan to come.