Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joel White Shellback

Default Re: Joel White Shellback

Wheels are dolly wheels from Princess auto and they were on sale for $7.99. Cheap like borscht. I think they're normally $12 or $15
    The only other expense were the 2 screw eyes for a ratchet strap which I didn't end up using when I tested the setup out the other day. Worked really well. I might build a more compact/ collapsible version if I can get my circus brother to weld me up some aluminium

Feels much better to have a proper sail, excuse the crease in my luff. I have to tweak my downhaul setup. Does anyone have a convenient outhaul setup that's somewhat traditional and a similar idea for a reefing setup>

And in action. Well very light action, still tweaking the rig and trying different knots and lashings to attach blocks to spars etc.
    Next the camel hitch!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Nicely filled - looking good.
    Whats the function of the parrel beads?

I like the eye on the bow btw
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Well the parrels are ostensibly keeping the spars in a certain proximity to the mast,though I had considered a ring for the mast for ease of stowing the spars. And of course they look good!
    I've had the boat out 3 more times since, one day, two different unconnected lakes in a day. I reefed during some really strong gusts on the bigger lake which was a comfort and went for a 3 hour sail in the chuck (Which had some nice strong sailing and some rowing). Practiced some anchoring stuff too.
    Since the pandemic there seems to be at least twice as many powerboats and jet skis on the water, most of which seem to have no manners and are mostly concerned with speed. Which unfortunately makes the beautiful protected waters of Burrard inlet and Indian arm very noisy and crisscrossed with endless wakes (some of which are fun to sail through)
    The shellback bobbed around on them like a duck so that's good.

Currently building a new centerboard and rudder as per my initial plan.

Not doing anything really big right now(nor sailing) because I seemed to have popped a lung..but I am puttering around making my removeable bowsprit. Using an old likely fir closest coat hanger or curtain rod unit with nice grain. It's what I used to try out my jib arrange,et which worked well. I got some finish on it and made a jaw, which I will finish and leather, to locate it on the mast. leathered the part that sits on the breasthook and against the stem. It will have a line and a cleat on the jaw to ash it to the mast and a constrictor on the end of the leathering to pull it down to where the painter hooks on, up and over the boom to cleat off on a purpleheart bow cleat I'm just finishing up. Seems to work well to hold it in place but still easily removable.

Finally added a bow cleat for docking anchor etc .I had been using the 3 strand I have run through my gunwale (which is very useful actually)
    made it out of some purpleheart I had and elevated it a little on a mahogany base as it will also be used for lashing my bowsprit onto the bow (which works well). Finished it with tung oil and backed it with a 4.5" x 1.5" by 3/16' piece of aluminium. I do everything with hand tools for the most part so sometimes it takes a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    Finally added a bow cleat
    Looks great......but would look even better with some nicer screw heads, or with plugs.

Thanks a lot. I'm not really wanting to get too fancy, especially with bits that will get constant wear. The bowsprit for instance is what I believe to be coat hanger rod, it's been sanded and shaped a little but still retains marks of it's previous usage. However it's old fir and has nice straight grain running it's length , is strong and now it's been given a dressing up looks the part as well.

The cleat was the first one I've made. I copied a huge locust one I have. (though I used to build traditional bows and have made many other things..including instruments, restoration and refinishing). Admittedly i didn't give a lot of thought to the 'look' of the fasteners

Do you mean carriage bolts? That would've been nice. These are #10 SS bolts of the right size from the local chandlery. They do have the inferior Philips head rather than the superior Robertson but it's a mixed bag at this place. I think if they were sunk into the cleat more to allow for plugs it might start compromising the strength of the cleat some, though I might have a look at that.
    I appreciate the tips.
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 07-03-2021 at 02:29 AM.

Still puttering around waiting for my lung to heal so I can go sailing.
    A fellow gave me a jib for a larger boat that he had made out terylene, a pleasant light soft fabric that he said was used for nurses uniforms and was the closest he could find to dacron many years ago. I cut it down to be slightly bigger than the other I cut, a kind of genoa(haha). I suspect that I should've cut the clew of the foot a little higher to have a shallower angle for cleating on both my jibs but I can do that later. The smaller jib I cut down before worked well. In the pictures I am trying different mounting areas on the sprit by zapstraping a couple of padeyes on.

I also made some little removable wooden cam cleat 'cars (for lack of a better name) out of some offcuts that tension fit into the gunwales and lock down with little toggly ears. I had some tiny cam cleats from a double unit so I made the 'cars ' for them. Worked a treat and completely and easily removable.

My whole sprit and jib setup is designed to be completely removable.

I happily discovered that my painter works great to lash the bowsprit to the bow and looks good too. I like things that have more than one use.

Default Stern thart removal?

I was curious as to how much structural strength the stern thwart give sthe shellback. I almost never use mine. i have used it for my girlfriend to sit on while I row but it really makes the boat squat. I was thinking of replacing it with side benches.
    Any ideas/advice

I don't know how much strength the aft thwart adds, but I think the transom and quarter knees are sufficient.
    For trim while rowing you can sit forward, add a set of sockets for the forward thwart. I generally still row from the middle with my wife, I outweigh her by 90#. I also use trim ballast, 25# of lead in a shot bag. That goes aft when rowing solo, or forward with Jane in the stern. For sailing, you can lay a plank or two from the middle to the after thwart, and sit on those. Easier on the knees than squeezed in the bottom. I'm 6'5" and 230#, so maybe these solutions want alteration to fit the user.

Hey thanks for all the ideas. I currently outweigh my girlfriend by about 50 lbs and I'm only 5'9". She's quite slight. A shot bag for trim sounds like a good idea. I often sit either on the bottom or on the middle thwart when sailing. Maybe I'll make a up a plank I can temporarily lash in and try it out and see how I like it. I typically don't drop my mast when rowing as I generally prefer to sail and like to be able to raise the rig if the opportunity arises.

I really like the shellback but I've always had small boats (actually larger but still small) with bench seat on either side.