Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Simple Proa

Default Re: Simple Proa

Me? I don’t know. Best guesses are what I got.

That’s why I posed the question. I want experienced feedback, if there is any. Guesses, conjecture ps and thoughts are invaluable, too, because I have no idea. I’m working with 100% “book” learning.

The reason for some of these exploratory lines, though, is the nature of the build. This is not pick what’s best and do it proper-like; this is catch as catch can, Rocketships From Dirt type building, and I have no IDEA what wood may present itself for cross beams and platform, yet.

I’d like to explore all the options with the smart kids before I just go ahead and start doing stuff.

Truth be told, that damned home made trimaran thread had me thinking about folding beams.

Nothing has happened on the boat. Much actual work to do, and much heat have precluded boat work.

Much heat.

The next steps involve epoxy work, so I have to wait for this heat wave to pass.

Meanwhile, I just look at the model, and the hull, and look some more. I keep thinking about the crossbeams and platform, too, and how best to build that assemblage as lightly and strongly as possible with the available resources.

I think this boat is being born in the spirit of the originals in that way, at least; I am making the best of what I have to make the nicest boat I can with it. I hope, anyway.

I continue to ponder three crossbeams (or maybe four even!), if only because the platform needs to be strong enough to support all the weight of the sailor(s), and the wider the span between beams, the heavier the platform slats need to be. And, that is the same thinking with the ama connection; an extra lashing is not that big a deal in relation to the benefits of having a better supported platform, for the same weight.

And, yes, I know what it’s like to lash stuff together every time you use it. It’s all guesses and compromises.

The real answer will reveal itself when I can do a few full size tests with mock-ups. Soon enough, I hope. We are due to get some habitable overnight lows soon.

Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Yesterday, while shuffling the hull around my current paying job, I just kept noting some unfairness in the windward side of the hull; just some area where the bottom and side curves made a weird, harsh wonk.

The spreader stick slipped and as the beam shrank, the wonk went away...

So, the new beam at sheer is about 10cm less? I havenít measured. The side panels look much more smooth in their transitions to and from pointy, and the whole looks much more cohesive.

Also, the weather may have broken, and if it stays this low overnights, I can start to tab this hull together!

Very fine.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

DFC2A772-7FE5-4218-846F-CEFE675705DF.jpg
    This is the end... I’m not sure which. This shows the asymmetry and the tilt to the bottom panel well, I think.

5C41E143-1330-4C14-9A59-593AD99613DE.jpg
    Yeah, I know, but the other end looks exactly the same. This is the side I had to remove the “wonk” from. There was a weird knuckle towards the end. Looks smoother to me.

78AA25E4-5094-469D-9A61-8FEFDA0069C2.jpg
    I’m going to use stems so I can screw the panel into something, as well as glue them. I think this will help keep the stem seam on the centerline, and it will give some meat to screw an outer rub strip into.

This is an absolute jackelope of a monstrosity, already.

Now I get it, that's a hard shape to achieve.... I almost can't believe the 2 photos are the same hull.... Very cool bow and rocker.
    That flat bottom will take a load!!! Looking good.
    Finally back 2 it. Good Luck!

Keep Shunting bro.......

Thanks, Yo! I tried very hard to combine a LOT of different desires into a very simply made hull. I hop it all works as planned. Hahaha.

I am finally able to contemplate using epoxy, again, so Iím messing around. The next few steps will be tabbing and gluing up the hull, so the heat was a HUGE factor in the delay.

Well, that, and actual work to earn money. Haha.

Baby steps toward a fall launch, I hope.

Looking like some excellent TLAR engineering!

Nice Work!

Looks strong and fast.

-Derek

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, I think there has been a MAJOR problem occur with one of the hull panels. Not one of the main hull panels, but...

I donít know, and, frankly, I donít really WANT to know, at this point.

It may be bad. Like, start over bad... but, at least I wonít have to start form total scratch, if I do.

Now, off to ignore it for a few days, and come back with fresh eyes!

I couldnít ignore it.

There was a major failure in one panel. The inner ply simply broke apart, and the break spread outward. The panel is totally compromised, and would have failed completely except for the outer plies. I mean, the good news is, the stuff endured a failure fairly well. I guess thatís good?

It could have been a random weak spot or undetected (by me) void, or just a flaw in the wood... or, all the inner plies of this stuff are just pure garbage.

The literature says itís gravy, but this panel makes me too doubtful. I may never know if the damned thing sails, now.

Insert seven minute long uninterrupted string of filthy swears here.

Bugger. Bugger.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Well... the good news is I have some righteous templates.

I had doubts, and the ply wasnít exactly what I ordered, but I went ahead, and I shouldnít have.

Meh.

Dumb. Not my first time being dumb, either.

Life keeps lifing.

Cool project Rob! Thanks for sharing it.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Could you post a picture? I would like to learn what not to do from the failure.

There isnít much to photograph. There is a crack inside the plywood which allows it to bend along the internal failure.

A simple material failure.

The way to avoid it is to use good materials.

Well, if I manage to sell a few more drawings, I may be able to to buy a few more panels and try again.

My dude found a good source of some nice 4mm ply, and has promised to eat it if it sucks when itís delivered this time.

I stare at the model every day and dream...

Not dead! This is not dead!

I have taken the time away to look back, and plan the second sortie. I will change a few things about how I put the next hull together, and I want to make a few changes to the rig.

I am also considering making the ama from glassed foam, which I THINK I can make lighter than the same sized timber and glass version; if it weighs close to the same Iíll be happy, because I will worry less about holing a solid foam ama.

As soon as I can procure a few sheets of plywood, I will start again.

Oh. I think the whole scull idea will stay hypothetical. In reality, the boat will like as not be paddled as much as sailed, and used as a swim platform as much as anything. As such, it will definitely need some paddles of its own, and if I make the paddles right, why, we could just use them as old school steering oars, too, eh?

That is all.

Until then, patience. And staring.
    C28EE59C-8EC1-498E-B76B-9746E5167369.jpg

That Photo looks good bro, Foam ama? plywood spine down d middle?? surfboard style??? foam hulls kick ass, Sven Yrvind (has a youtube channel) builds some serious boats that go a very long way with foam.... I too am thinking of a foam future.

Keep Shunting, and keep building.......................................... ....................

Yeah, Buddy! A plywood ďtĒ to form the deck and spine of the ama, with foam glued and shaped and glassed.

I mean, if Iím glassing a light ply hull, may as well glass a blob of foam?

Plus, there is an insulating job coming up I may be able to pinch a few sheets from.

C13EE98E-734A-4071-90CC-3B6F329B3C4E.jpg
    I want to change the rig a bit. This is a bit smaller than I had, and I think better for around here. I like the way the whole shebang balances on the model, so far.

58B3C06A-F353-4074-9916-28C916B7AF5D.jpg
    I made this cute little cup for the mast.

Which, the pause has allowed me to rewind on a few things. The extravagant deck has to go. On the real boat, Iím going to put the crossbeams parallel, and add a ďspreaderĒ beam at the ends, lashed between the beams, to brace against the back stay pulling the ends together.

I think Iím going to use the board with a dowel through it type ama connection, too. The one Gary mentioned earlier, and uses on his Waapa canoe.
    Remember, Robert. Simple proa. Simple. Sim. Ple.

Near the main hull we can run a few planks/floorboards to sail from, and if we want to lounge somewhere, we can string up a hammock between the cross beams.

And, though the scull is appealing, weíll like as not paddle the thing if thereís no wind. Since weíll certainly have paddles aboard, makes sense to use one of them if we need steering trim, eh?

I am completely rethinking the shape of the side panels, too. I am thinking to add less cut in rocker, for a more subtle shape. Iíll try it out smaller to see if it even looks like what I imagine. Models is fun. And cheap.

Anyway. 3 steps forward, and 2 steps back!

Be sure that your mast can't jump out of that cute little socket. Lash it in place. Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dierking View Post
    Be sure that your mast can't jump out of that cute little socket. Lash it in place. Don't ask me how I know.
    I noticed how easily it upsets as a model. Never fear! This cool guy wrote a book about these type boats, and he recommends lashings in the same place I read about cups and sockets.

20AE0609-2DC9-4E4F-A243-4FF11C409181.jpg
    Like this, maybe? These crossbeams are spaced about 2.5m, because it worked best and easiest to simply keep them where they were, deck wise and etc. I may change the spacing on the real deal, scooting them together, maybe to 2.2m or so? We’ll see if and when we see.
    I just did all this with the stuff I already had, so it’s all to fit the junk I cut away.

CA6D309B-25BC-475C-A6DE-EFDE6C4061C5.jpg
    With some of these to secure the ama, it will be a lot easier all around. And wiggly in all the right ways. And, I came up on some nice, short lengths 1-1/2” hardwood dowel… life is funny that way, eh?

Anyway. I like the changes. Sometimes bad things happen for good reasons?