Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Proa

Default Re: Simple Proa

Looks great.

I've been interested in proas for years now. Recently I think I have just detected the slightest trend away from people trying to 'improve' things by wholesale westernisation of rigs, foils etc. and a realisation of just how much is right about the various traditional designs.

This is based on that very notion. I basically wanted something like my duck punt, but less tiddly.

31760B14-19F2-4107-93FD-DEE9CD5EBB03.jpg
    To that end, I used a bit of rocker, as smoothly distributed as I could, considering the relatively shallow hull and flat bottom, and an “asymmetrical” hull shape.

C610C712-6B8E-458F-8B0D-AB4DEEDCB765.jpg
    I tried to keep the flare consistent between the hulls.

Lots of figuring (metric is so fun to figure volume and displacement in) and lots of borrowing and asking questions.

The model needs a platform and paint and an oar and some fiddly whatsits, yet. Still.

"we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Well, I DO happen to have a 3m spar that would work as a mast...

What is the idea behind making the ama that long?

Will you always keep the ama to windward and shunt?
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Buoyancy while parked is one, and when potentially used for other than sailing; paddling around the Mastiff, say, or sight fishing from the platform.

The other is buoyancy where it needs it going downwind, either way. Sort of how trimarans have their amas well forward.

And, because the successful boat this size that my canoe loosely based on uses one like it, to good effect.

All guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Will you always keep the ama to windward and shunt?
    Yarp. I hope to get away with no paddle, too, except maybe downwind. I’d like to keep the rig at shroud, sheet, and brailing line, but the theoretical boat would only be for goofy fun beach sailing, and nothing serious nor off soundings.

It’s a dream replacement for the duck punt, which can be tense sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Buoyancy while parked is one, and when potentially used for other than sailing; paddling around the Mastiff, say, or sight fishing from the platform.

The other is buoyancy where it needs it going downwind, either way. Sort of how trimarans have their amas well forward.

And, because the successful boat this size that my canoe loosely based on uses one like it, to good effect.

All guesses.
    All makes sense I think, especially if you will be singlehanded - there seems to be real advantage in having a way to get weight both aft and to windward. Like in this really impressive example:

Last edited by Clarkey; 04-24-2021 at 02:00 PM.

The main hull is from two sheets of plywood, as I’m that type savage. I think the other hull, decks, and bulkheads, etc. can be gotten from two more sheets. Well, and some wood, sure.

Still. Four sheets of 4-5mm ply ain’t a terrible bill for such.

2DE7F640-0E6C-47A3-8CBE-5ADBB277774C.jpg
    Platform! Roughly 1.5 x 2.5 meters.

Would be a great boat to spend time on - plenty of comfort with multiple places to sit, stand and lie plus the platform would take a decent tent. Ama looks good for re-boarding after a swim/snorkle too. Really nice.
    Last edited by Clarkey; 04-25-2021 at 02:49 AM.

Have you seen photos of Harmen Hielkema's proa "Toroa"? https://harmenhielkema.blogspot.com
    I have some photos of the boat, but don't know how to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Brown View Post
    Have you seen photos of Harmen Hielkema's proa "Toroa"? https://harmenhielkema.blogspot.com
    I have some photos of the boat, but don't know how to post here.
    Oh, yes. She’s lovely.

DD24157A-E00E-4B69-BD76-7864973148B7.jpg
    Or... this is not the drua you are looking for?

Gives "Better watch your mouth, kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home" a whole new meaning!

(p.s. I'm not sure I'd put that guy at the helm of my boat--have you seen him drive?)

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

He’s better than Lando!

Looks okay to me. Larger more buoyant amas give you the option of camping out on that big patio to windward. Yes, it makes it more like a drua.

The whole idea for this canoe has been bouncing around for some time. My Youngest Son has long wanted a “forth and back” boat, not another “zig zag” boat; which description charmed me so much, I was determined we needed to have a shunting boat.

I have stumbled and bumbled through drawings and models and thinking and rethinking and all that jazz. And reading and watching videos and reading.

So many things influenced what this idea finally became, and most of it is just my broadened “knowledge” of the various types of sailing canoes and etc., and how the operate in their various forms and styles.

The most is copied in small bits and pieces from all the places one borrows (ahem, dashboards, ahem...), and some ideas were hashed over with a few cats what actually sail proas. Many thanks to all who contributed to this fun exercise.

This type of boat fascinates me no end, and especially so since I’ve been sailing the duck punt.

I’m happy the large ama and big patio were obvious to everyone else, too! A few of the design requirements were being able to ferry The Mastiff, hosting occasional small squads of divers and swimmers, and serving as a sometime basking platform for My Wife. What a fun way to paddle/scull around for an afternoon, eh? It may even prove tolerable enough for simply paddling without the deck boards on.

Camping? Don’t mind if I do! Haha.

This boat got me dreaming!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    This boat got me dreaming!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You DO kinda remind me of Han Solo.

If you want to make one with the kids, I’ll give you the vital stats.

DD24157A-E00E-4B69-BD76-7864973148B7.jpg
    Or... this is not the drua you are looking for?
    Looks speedy. So, "tell Jabba I've got his money."

It’s too late. You should have paid him when you had the chance!

This place is often a lot of fun!

But how is he going to be able to shoot first if he's holding the sheet in his shooting hand? Please, fix that before it's too late!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

B19B8854-D9B3-4B8A-892A-E3269E412164.jpg
    I’m taking Captain Solo and his clams. You can either profit from this...

Relative size of hulls makes sense to me and for that slatted deck to bear plenty of weight it could be a good thing to have an additional kiato at midships, which will also help with getting the mast stepped a little to weather.

B19B8854-D9B3-4B8A-892A-E3269E412164.jpg
    I’m taking Captain Solo and his clams. You can either profit from this...
    Will she make .5 past lightspeed? Kessel Run in 12 parsecs?

If not, sorry. Not interested...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

She’ll make point past five. Look, she may bot look like much, but she’s got it where it counts, Kid. I’ve made a lot of special modifications myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Relative size of hulls makes sense to me and for that slatted deck to bear plenty of weight it could be a good thing to have an additional kiato at midships, which will also help with getting the mast stepped a little to weather.
    Agreed. A simplified somewhat for modeling expediency, to be sure.

I’d like to stay with two, on the off chance I may decided I need a daggerboard in my ama.

Really, though, it will be the lighter of two evils when it comes to the deck, to be sure.

3EE8C159-11CE-41AD-9256-3BDBD089EB77.jpg
    A better (?) view of the hull shapes?

95E6EC51-089A-42A8-BE1B-2EEF39A4FADE.jpg
    If your name is Lee, this is your view.

I think it looks good and I like the big ama, but the main hull has style and the ama doesn't. Gary know way more about this kind of boat than I do, but I think you're on the right track. I had an absolute ripper of a sail on "Toroa" and I think this kind of boat has a lot going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Brown View Post
    I think it looks good and I like the big ama, but the main hull has style and the ama doesn't. Gary know way more about this kind of boat than I do, but I think you're on the right track. I had an absolute ripper of a sail on "Toroa" and I think this kind of boat has a lot going for it.

Dammit! Now I gotta flash out the ama to match. Thank you. I have certainly read and watched a ton of internet material about proas. Some dude with your name keeps popping up everywhere.

I have long been fascinated by all multi hulls, and have only recently REALLY dug in to the difference and similarities.

The past few years I’ve been sailing a duck punt, and I’ve grown to love the simplicity of it; once I figured out how to steer the damned thing. Hahaha.

I have all the frames for a SOF canoe that is a tacking type, but things have delayed it. In the meantime, I’ve been left to return to this lark of an idea my Youngest Son and I had a while ago.

I think somesuch like this, a smaller, fairly simple shunting canoe would be a blast, and great bang for the buck. As any other thing I’ve ever “designed”, I owe the whole thing to all the people who I stole ideas from. Haha.

I was much inspired by the proa Proud Mary, which seems about as simple as it gets, and looks like my kind of fun, and by our own Rael; who has a spirit and a love for proas that is fairly infectious.

I hope I have the chance to realize this boat in full size one day. I mean, that’s the plan, but we all know about One Day, eh?

Crap. Vitals, eh?

The leeward hull is about 4.8 meters. The windward hull is 4 meters. They are tied to 2.5 meter cross beams. Using English words out of respect for not using the wrong language and/or mixing languages and terms.

The leeward hull is about 49cm deep in the middle, and about 38(?)cm on the ends, with a 36cm beam at bottom and 60cm beam at sheer.

Windward hull is 15cm beam on bottom and 40cm beam at sheer. 25(?)cm deep, I think, and 20cm deep at stems? I will be adding a curve to the stems to “match” the leeward hull on any future version.

Mast is 3 meters, spars are 4. Sail is ? The tack angle is about 50°, I think...

Thank you everyone. I much appreciate comments and suggestions, and I don’t mind questions. It’s all just made up best guesses, like most of life.

Not the photo I'm looking for, which is more relevant to the thread but it might be of interest.
    A Barnaban boat on Rabi island in Fiji.These are built by relocated Kiribati islanders from Ocean island.
    FB_IMG_1619399774599.jpg
    Still not the one I'm looking for, another Rabi boat
    20170816_133542.jpg
    I hope you build your boat Rob, she looks sweet. Interesting comment by Russell.. I couldn't quite put my finger on the very slight niggle but there we go.
    Last edited by John B; 04-27-2021 at 02:57 PM.