Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Island 15 restoration

Default Re: Green Island 15 restoration

Hi Larks, it's the 4423 Heavy Duty - $360 at Spotlight. There's a good review of it on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImTTD8y750 I sewed through 6 layers of canvas making that gear bag. It seems to be fine for making sunbrella/canvas stuff for a boat. I just managed to get it over some rope in a seam but that was 8-10mm thick. So there's a limit in just how far open you can get the presser foot. I also bought a walking foot for it. I'm very happy with it but I don't think I'd try to make a sail with it. But maybe you could. It's a long time since I sewed dacron.

BP80304571-grey.jpg
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Bit of a Pardey-style bucket, minus the weight which I don't need. Learnt a fair bit on this one. Double thickness canvas for sides and bottom of bucket, rope grommets stitched in, and some less-than-perfect spliced loops in three strand for the handle and line.

pardey bucket_sm.jpg

First sail today - beautiful day with super light winds (0-5 knts) but still got up to 4 knt boat speed. Everything working well. Easy and quick to rig on the beach, easy to launch. Plenty of tweaks to keep you interested whilst sailing.

But I've been thinking through some alternatives to the water ballast, also in conversation with the designer. Really there would be no issues at all if I'd built the boat myself, but I didn't, so I have no way of really knowing if everything inside the chambers was really properly epoxy-sealed or not. Even one small bit of missing or too-thin epoxy will be a recipe for rot disaster, and not easy to repair. I've had a good look inside with the phone through the 100mm port but it's impossible to really see what is going on. On the one hand it doesn't look too bad, but on the other, it's not immaculate either. Lots of flaking floating bits of paint, some mouldy looking wood with blackish stains on them, and a few extra shelves and ledges inside there which weren't on the plans.

Today, using my little pump, both filling with the hose, and emptying the two tanks with the high volume pump was simple and only took a few minutes.

But I'm considering replacing that system with some 2L containers filled with sand and packed in tight, inserted by cutting in two larger access hatches. That'll increase the ballast, which I'm happy about as we old blokes like a more stable ride, but there's still plenty of spare buoyancy. Anyway, more on that in the days that follow but I was glad to have a good sail in her today with my wife on board and just see how she sailed with the 50kg of water ballast. That gives me something to measure against.

Little pic of the sail and one of the type of container I want to fill with sand.

first sail.jpg plastic container.jpg

Having emptied the ballast tanks yesterday, I ran my fingers round where I could reach and took a few more photos and came to the conclusion there was too much mould and potential rot for me to be comfortable about. I'm hoping this one restoration exercise will be the only major one I have to do, and all that will follow will be routine maintenance. Ha, yes, I know.

So I bit the bullet and cut out two holes to fit some inspection/access hatches in the lids of the ballast tanks. That all went well, and it let me get a good look at the 2"x1" batten which had been epoxied up under the lid. See the first photo. Well, I'm glad I cut the holes. This piece of wood looked like it was scrap from either around the builder's garage or maybe some of the discarded construction timber used for a strongback. In any event, it had unfilled nail holes all through it, one side of one of them was lacking any epoxy, and the other edges were only lightly coated. What's more, neither end was connected to the boat structure so at best it was a slight stiffener for the 9mm ply lid. It had the beginnings of rot all over it particularly around the holes and the un-coated side.

The good thing was once I had the hole cut I could check out the other smaller battens epoxied in there, and also the general state of all the remaining surfaces. All of that seemed fine save a small amount of surface mould. Remember, the tanks had been half filled with water for at least six months through our summer, so the mould is not unexpected.

Today I managed to find 1L solidly-made plastic jerrycans with lids, at an exorbitant price on ebay for 20 of them, but the only other option seemed to be to buy about 1000 of them from the main manufacturers here in Aus. I'll fill them with fine sand and get maybe a 20% increase in the total ballast over the original water-filled tanks, allowing for the wastage which comes with trying to fit the plastic bottles into the odd shape of the tanks. If I'm game, I'll wet the fine sand before closing the lids on the bottles, and I think I'd get an extra kilo or two. Maybe not worth it if they leak, but in any event, it's going to be very easy now to open the new hatches, remove the bottles for maintenance, and replace if necessary.

And late this afternoon before epoxying the cut edges, the best news of all was that with my wide chisel, I was able to neatly remove the remnant battens with a few solid knocks. They just came away easily from the ply lid, leaving a blemish-free epoxy surface on the underside of the lid. I have a feeling they mightn't have even been epoxied onto the lid, but just held in place with a small fillet down each side. So they probably wouldn't have been doing much stiffening anyway, and maybe with use, that's how they popped out so easily. To have tried to stop the rot on them and leave them in there would have been a pain and a long job to no real end, plus they were going to interrupt the sensible placement of the bottles. So, happy chappy.

cut out1.jpg cut out 2.jpg cut out 3.jpg
    Last edited by johnno; 07-16-2021 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Hi Larks, it's the 4423 Heavy Duty - $360 at Spotlight. There's a good review of it on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImTTD8y750 I sewed through 6 layers of canvas making that gear bag. It seems to be fine for making sunbrella/canvas stuff for a boat. I just managed to get it over some rope in a seam but that was 8-10mm thick. So there's a limit in just how far open you can get the presser foot. I also bought a walking foot for it. I'm very happy with it but I don't think I'd try to make a sail with it. But maybe you could. It's a long time since I sewed dacron.
    Not sure how I missed this response Johnno, but thank you - I’ll have a closer look at it.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

First coats painting in the waterline. Drives you nuts having to wait 24 hours between coats. Plus I have to push the boat forward and back on the trailer about a metre every time so I can paint around the mudguards. Meantime, have added in the reefing ties to the main, and now working on the cunningham and vang set ups.

waterline.jpg

Not too exciting but another step towards having her ready for sailing - fitting the dry ballast in lieu of water ballast. Got my containers, fine sand and some pool noodle spacers. The containers fitted perfectly (across the area and the height) with 18 going in at nearly 2kg per container so call it 35kg. Probably about 10 kilos down on the usual level of water ballast but a bonus is the ballast will stay in position and not slide down to the opposite place to where you want it when heeled. We've been in lockdown again and away for my normal fortnightly sojourn in the city away from the dinghy so slow progress as always. This afternoon, I can fit the inspection hatches and seal it all up.

18 bottles.jpg

packed.jpg

secured.jpg

squared off.jpg

What a clever and novel idea Johnno. For some reason I thought the water ballast was intended to be moveable from one side to the other as required, this seems a much more simple way of doing things.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    What a clever and novel idea Johnno. For some reason I thought the water ballast was intended to be moveable from one side to the other as required, this seems a much more simple way of doing things.
    Hi Greg. Yep the water ballast set-up and performance can be quite complicated on different boats. For the Green Island 15, if it is well built initially (not a difficult ask) you could leave both tanks permanently full of fresh water (salt water can pong after a while) and only perhaps empty the tanks for a long road trip (though not really necessary but would decrease load on boat structure whilst travelling) or if you weren't planning on sailing for quite a while.

Also it's vital that the tanks are properly full so that the water doesn't move about. If for example they were only half full, then when heeled the water would shift to leeward in each tank and actually decrease the righting moment instead of helping stabilize the boat.

On larger vessels doing long tacks, then it is not unusual to pump the water from one tank into another (or to empty out the leeward tank) which helps stabilize the boat even more of course. But that exercise is not worthwhile for dinghy sailing where you might be doing quick tacks. I think it's also normal in larger cargo ships to have water ballast to help balance the ship but I don't really know anything about that.

My problem was that the tanks were not well built, or at least, well coated internally with epoxy, so I just didn't want to exacerbate rot issues. And to fill up before each sail and empty out and dry out after each sail is way too mcuh of an drama. So I've lost some ballast, but greatly increased my convenience and peace of mind, and drastically lowered my maintenance.

I will keep experimenting (sail tomorrow for a start) and might add some more ballast in 2-5L bottles around the mast area if I think I need it. Also, the designer already allowed space for an extra sand box forward of the mast which would add at least another 25 kilos if I want it.

Nice little sail today, light breeze, just a potter about. Ballast worked well, but still plenty of little jobs to come....

https://youtu.be/XLoy1k6M-NM

Absolutely lovely Johnno, especially with such pleasant and enjoyable guitar to watch it by - was that you as well? She seems like a pleasure to sail and the tiller clutch looks like it’s working very nicely. What a nice time of year to be out on the water!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks Greg, not me! Saving my banjo backing track for the next video. ;-)

Amazing how when a boat acquires a name on her transom, she joins our own world, gets a personality and somehow becomes more real.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found out just now that my TS16 was originally called Tubby. My son has suggested Tabitha.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I found out just now that my TS16 was originally called Tubby. My son has suggested Tabitha.
    That sounds good to me. I feel sorry for boats that get those awful names, puns and the like - you know what I mean.

That sounds good to me. I feel sorry for boats that get those awful names, puns and the like - you know what I mean.
    I had planned to call it Redwing ll, but I'm not sure now.

Another day, and some more sewing. Sheet bag this time, for stowing required sheets, lines and soft shackles that go out with the boat each sail. Hopefully will be easier to find everything and nothing will be forgotten for each trip to the ramp.

bag.jpg

nice work Johnno - someone could make a good living making and selling these, I remember one of the sailmakers in Airlie Beach jokingly complain that his apprentice was making as much on the side out of turning scraps of various types of sail cloth into gear bags and portfolio bags as he was making himself in the business......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, I'd love to be able to get hold of some old sails (white, tan or cream) and use that to recycle into some more stuff. Not sure where to find some though. It's commonly done, and the bags are strong and tough.

I see them come up on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace quite often, or you could have a look at what this guy has to offer: https://www.sailexchange.com.au - otherwise it could be worth dropping in to any of the sailmakers around Brissy’ and ask if they’d let you scrounge through their scrap bins
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yep, seems to be quite a good market though - for sellers. Plus a hundred Etsy stores all making stuff out of recycled sailcloth. I think you're right - best to drop by a sailmaker.

Bit more work on the running rigging today. Firstly, I put in a downhaul. Pretty straightforward. Snap shackle to a saddle on the mast, down to a cheek block (hard to find ones with a flat back these days) then up to a block with a hook for the reef tack, then back down to a clam cleat on the mast. I'm trying to set all this stuff up so it can be easily detached for storage otherwise the mess on the mast and boom get too unwieldy.

downhaul.jpg

You can also see I made a dyneema loop which I've put aorund the mast, and that becomes the take off point for the vang. It's stopped from slipping up the mast by a plastic saddle on the forward face of the mast.

dyneema mast loop.jpg

Then another dyneema loop over the boom for the other end of the vang. The vang has d-shackles so I can remove it too for storage.

dyneema boom loop.jpg

Then I remembered I had a clamp for my little Garmin handheld and after much to-ing and fro-ing it ended up onthe centreboard case. And I tried out the fit of my outboard to get a feel for the right bracket position. Will try that out next trip but she started quite okay so that's a good sign. Looks silly in the pic but that's mainly lens distortion.

garmin mount.jpg outboard.jpg

Another day, and some more sewing. Sheet bag this time, for stowing required sheets, lines and soft shackles that go out with the boat each sail. Hopefully will be easier to find everything and nothing will be forgotten for each trip to the ramp.

bag.jpg

I made a bunch out of old sail cloth I had. They get used all the time.
    ditty bags.jpg

....... the young guy suggested I just put tubes in the exisiting tyres ......
    The received wisdom is that this can cause some overheating of the tyre, if not designed for a tube. You'll be fine if you take things steady, but don't go doing hundreds of miles at high speed on dirt roads with tyres set up like this.

Thanks for the heads-up Mike, I'll be careful and keep an eye on them. Cheers.

Time to laminate up a whisker pole out of some hoop pine left over from other builds. I think my fittings are for a 32mm pole but I'll be starting with about 38mm square I'd say.

whisker pole sm.jpg

Back up to the boat for a couple of weeks and hopefully out for a sail tomorrow, go-pro in hand. Little details today - cutting a hole in the capping board of my centreboard trunk, and fitting a through deck fairlead so I have an access hole should I ever need to push the board down if sand or pebbles get the board stuck in place.

As luck would have it, no sooner did I cut the hole and raised and lowered the board a dozen or so times, sure enough it stuck. Couldn't get it to go up or down, until I gave it a firm but cautious prod with the tent peg. I'll make some kind of wood stick and handle once I get a chance. Also brought the whisker pole up and so far have given it a couple of coats of varnish.

un-jammer.jpg

Time for a litle sail....

https://youtu.be/O8P7WibA1k4

I've noticed that there is more prep for a small dinghy on a trailer than for a larger boat on a berth. Pretty much everything needs to come off the dinghy each trip home and brought back on board each new sail. So it's easy to forget stuff, as I did with my portable garmin last trip for example, where it sat patiently in the back seat of the car waiting whilst I went for sail without it. Same goes for sheets and general rigging stuff, though at least you tend to notice that stuff on the beach before leaving.

I've made a bag already (see above) for the sheets and small rigging items. So today I extended that with a carry bag with internal pockets for radio, gps, action camera, compass, and space for sundry other things which come off the boat after each trip. Most of those items coincidentally tend to come boxed but without a protective case and they are also easily damaged with glass surfaces etc. So the bag is a nice form of protection for them too. All those things get fixed to the boat once we're sailing so no issues designing the bag to keep things in place if we tip up - it's just to carry to and from the boat and store at home.

electrics bag.jpg

electrics bag2.jpg

Making a compass bracket out of recycled Queensland silky oak recued from an old table. Just mystery parts at the moment but nice to be back doing a little carpentry. Compass is a Silva 85. I noticed the compass is supplied with brass screws (non-magnetic) for fixing to the deck but they're a bit long. I managed to find some solid brass screws the right size for the job at the local hardware, plus some more to screw this bracket together.

compass base 1.jpg compass base 2.jpg

I love a nice bit of silky oak!! I know that you already have the brass screws but 316 SS screws are also non magnetic if the SS look fits better with everything else on the boat...??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Good point Greg, but there's some brass on the boat at the moment. Indeed, it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I love a nice bit of silky oak!! I know that you already have the brass screws but 316 SS screws are also non magnetic if the SS look fits better with everything else on the boat...??
    Silky oak? Same here, but I'm down to little offcuts and recycled sash frames. I do have some nice white beech though.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I do have some nice white beech though.
    Yes, so do I, I’m contemplating doing my galley bench top out of it.....(sorry Johnno, thread drift)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quite okay Greg, always good to talk timber species.