Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Green Island 15 restoration

Default Re: Green Island 15 restoration

Compass shelf ninety percent complete. The bracket will screw onto the bulkhead of the aft buoyancy compartment just below the tiller, so I'll be looking over or slightly back at the compass, but close enough for me to see easily without needing to put on my reading glasses. All options forward of my steering position such as the centreboard trunk or on the thwart just aft of the mast already have stuff there like gps and vang, or are too far forward for me to read easily.

The shelf with compass attached removes when the boat is stored. Still mulling over how to secure the shelf onto the bracket when sailing. It's actually a very snug fit and would not move but if I go over, I certainly don't want it to dislodge. Thinking along the lines of some tie down, maybe with leather thong but also maybe a dowel plug, brass latch, etc. There's probably six equally good ways to do it, but having trouble deciding.

Any ideas welcome!

compass base 3.jpg compass base 4.jpg compass base 5.jpg
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

How about a small lip it slides under at the back and a hook & eye at the front?
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    How about a small lip it slides under at the back and a hook & eye at the front?
    Yep that would work. Simple.

Meantime, I've made a double thickness padded canvas drawstring bag to store the compass when it's off the boat.

compass base 6.jpg

Back to the boat for a couple of weeks, and there's an 'old gaffers' regatta coming up at the end of the month I hope to sail in if I can get everything ready.

First task was a dry fit of the compass shelf which I made remote from the boat and guessed some measurements. Got it right within a millimetre but had to shave that millimetre off so now the new clear coat is drying. Meanwhile it was on to the larger job.

The gaff/spar of my gunter rig (or folding gunter as it's known elsewhere) was made out of a laminated 50mmx50mm section. Contrary to the designer's drawings, it had a half round groove routed out of the luff face onto which was attached an aluminium luff groove, about 45mm across its base. The main halyard returned down the spar via the routed groove. The designer's drawings called for a routed luff groove and a taper. My spar, with its construction, was both untapered and also not very bendy because of the inflexibility of the 45mm wide aluminium luff groove base. I needed to do something about both. Probably should have built a new spar, but I'm not keen on that at the moment.

So instead the plan was to remove the Al luff groove, taper it, including cutting through some of the screw holes along its edges as the taper progressed. It was screwed to the spar with pan head screws about every 150mm. This would reduce its weight by about 25-30% and also increase its flexibility as the effective width would come back to the dimension between the inner screw hole side on one side and the same on the other side - about 25mm in effect.

Alongside that, the plan was also to taper the spar itself, giving a further weight reduction. The plans called for the spar to remain at a 45mm square section as far along as the gaff halyard attachment point. This helps keep the weight in the lower section of the spar, making it easier to hoist.

It was pretty painstaking tapering the luff groove with a jig saw - very wobbly and hard to clamp in place but we got there. This morning's job of tapering the spar was much more pleasant. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the luff groove but I will when it is reassembled. The first pic is the beginning of the process of tapering the spar but doesn't show it too well because perspective works against showing the taper. Hopefully you can see it better in the second shot. It'll be another three day job getting all the coats of clear finish on and sanded.

The eagle eyed will note our box hardware store does a good job of labelling their cutprice (Craftright brand) tools in case you forget what they are.

spar.jpg spar2.jpg

Comapss and shelf fitted. Now onto the mast fittings for the spar reefing halyard.

compass1.jpg compass.jpg

Nice work Johnno, and I reckon I might steal your compass shelf idea. I was going to have a through-bulkhead type compass but my latest plan for the cockpit bulkhead won’t allow that so, looking at yours, I’m thinking that under the tiller on the H28 might be a good spot for one.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Greg, yep, I can see how that could work. My problem in the open dinghy was that the centreboard case was already busy and anyway not quite wide enough. Straight behind the mast could have worked but the vang was in the way. Could have been shifted up I guess. Could have even bought one for the forward bulkhead but too far away to read clearly. They're obviously made to read better if you're behind them but it's still easy to read. For you, I can see if you don't bulkhead mount, there's nowhere else really. At least it's well clear of any iron for me, and probably for you too.

Do you already have a compass? I read some fairly poor reviews of this one after I bought it (bubbles and some corrosion, no adjustment). I think the plastimo and richie are probably way more sturdy and adjustable. But I had this one on Little Egret with no issues at all.

I don’t have a compass as yet, other than my trusty Plastimo hand held compass that I’ve had for about 30 years. I’ll likely stick with Plastimo for a deck mounted one - though it may depend on what is available that I can read clearly without having to change glasses ......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Got a couple of pics of Gull out on the street where you can see her a bit better. Hopefully will get some better shots when we get out for a sail next week - fingers crossed. Plus a still from the last video.

Gull_1_wb.jpg Gull_3_wb.jpg green island 15 _2_wb.jpg

A few videos over here - still learning how to make them but have been concentrating on the boat and not the camera. Hopefully they'll get more interesting in future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCsJ5t9xvfU&t=5s