Thread: Another Acorn Build

Default Another Acorn Build

I started on an 11'9" Acorn build with plans from Ian Oughtred and purchased from our hosts here. This will be traditionally built with cedar planking and rivets and the owner wants it all bright. So far the strongback is built, stems laminated and forms are set up with transom, stem and hog (keelson) in place. Video series also on my YouTube channel at Orca Boats

20210327_155222.jpg
    20210403_163414.jpg
    20210419_072449.jpg
    20210419_072511.jpg

Default Re: Another Acorn Build

Wow!
    Don't spill any epoxy on that beautiful workbench!...

IŽll be following with pleasure.
    Thanks for sharing.

Ingenious use of those L-shaped wood bits, in the third photo.

Rick
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 04-19-2021 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Just subscribed to your youtube, nice work all around!

Finally I have all the forms set up and ready to do the final shaping on the transom, keelson and inside stem. 4th episode up on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdoyNn-lqZQ

First planks are on. Had to steam the ends of the 5/16 cedar to get the curve.
    steaming2.jpg

firstplanks2.jpg

Hi Rod,

Couldn't believe my luck when I found your post! I've be very slowly starting to build the 11'9" Acorn and have my forms cut out, inner/outer stems laminated, transom glued up and keelson planed to size. I will need to take a proper look at your videos but so far they look like being excellent help for an amateur such as myself.

I did have one question for you. I'll be using 6mm marine plywood for my boat and I see a couple of notes on the transom view of the plans that require some slight adjustment when using 6mm as opposed to 5mm. Note sure I totally understood what was meant ("deeper step for 6mm plank") but I'm still looking and thinking! I note that you are using 5/16 cedar, so about 8mm, and I was wondering what you may have had to do to accommodate this. Transom is one thing, but will it also require that the outer stem is wider? I'll have the same issue to some degree using 6mm, and of course I've already planed it to 32mm breadth.....

Thanks
    Rob W.

Not much accommodation on the transom. I just used battens to figure out bevel and I did have to add a small rabbet (small gain) to existing plank in the transom so that the next one could lay flat without gaps on the underside and inside as plank would be higher than the next bevel on transom. As for the outer stem, we shall see. I did make it a bit oversized in width, so hopefully wide enough. I am on to the last planks as progress has been a bit slow as many other boats in the shop and plan to use mahogany for sheer strake to match all the trim. Hope this helps. Have not put up any new videos as of late since it is all just planking progress.

Hull is done and ready to remove from forms with a couple more videos on the build on my YouTube channel.
    20210618_081019.jpg

She is finally upright. Time to work on the interior.
    rolledover.jpg

Now that I have the dagger board box in place, I am moving on to steaming the frames and starting with half frames to get a sense of how long to steam and how they will bend. My white oak is not the straightest grain as some of them warped after cutting and soaking so I cut lots of extras. Also new video up on my YouTube channel which covers making and installing the dagger board box.
    firstframes.jpg

The Acorn dinghy is all framed up and riveted. I don't know about others, but of all the boats I have built, there is something special about a traditional small boat with cedar planking, steam bent frames and copper rivets. I can look at them all day.
    allframed.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautifully done.

The Acorn dinghy is all framed and riveted up. Latest video on YouTube.

Looking really nice Rod. I will need to catch up with your newer videos.

Can I just ask if you had any issues with the (inner) stem? Specifically, I built the laminated stem according to Sheet 4 of the plans, but the distance shown between "Top of building frame" and the inner/upper surface of the laminated stem at frame #1 doesn't quite match with the measurement shown on sheet 5 ("top of building frame" to "cut out of stem"). My mould at frame #1 is based on the pattern on sheet 5 and there's about 3/16" difference. It's maybe just a copying matter or my misunderstanding and I'm probably just being too picky.

Also regarding the stem I laminated this from Douglas Fir and used West System epoxy. I allowed for some springback in my stem mould but this doesn't seem to have occurred so I have a slightly tighter radius. It's still fine but the stem seems to have stubbornly kept its radius "as-glued".

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. As for the question, if I understand correctly, you are talking about the notch in form one to accept the inside stem? I did find on several of the forms that I had to increase the width and I think even some depths so that the stem and attached keelson would sit nicely in the notch or on top of the forms with a fair curve. I did not find any spring back with the multitude of laminations on the inner/outer stems. Solid as a rock. I do wish I had made the inner stem a bit longer at the breast hook end. I had to cut mine off flush with deck as not enough to extend above breast hook to match outer stem

Nice looking build Rod. I built an Acorn (the 10' version, which was originally called the Acorn dinghy, with the larger version you're building called the Acorn skiff, and is now called the Puffin) 10-15 years ago. I believe it has a bit less deadrise, if I understand that term correctly, than the Acorn skiff, but it's been fun to sail and row. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the interior!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "
    The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything."
    Roosevelt, Theodore

Stern seat assembly is in with sealer coat of varnish.
    sternseat.jpg sternseat1.jpg

Work continues on the Acorn Skiff with several tasks being done simultaneously. Centerboard opening is framed in, main thwarts and floorboards are made and the main mast and yard are almost ready for varnish. Lost some video of some of these processes, but hope to carry on adding to YouTube with what I have.

centerboardframing.jpg
    thwarts.jpg
    Mast.jpg

Nice!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

As I move towards rigging the skiff up with cleats, pulleys, and the like, does anyone have a picture of how they did their small sail skiff? Looking at options and location of things. Will add pulley on thwart and cleat on mast for downhaul and the same for hoisting lug sail. Leaning towards double sheets and cleats in stern rather than single, just not sure best option as not really a sailor, I just build them.

We are getting close to the finish line on this one. I have the centerboard box framed in, hull varnished and stem band on. Hopefully this is the last time she will be upside down. By this time next week, all the interior parts will be varnished and installed so we can get on to rigging her up. Also a few more videos of the build are up on YouTube

Hullvarnished.jpg

She is all done and ready for her first row/sail.

finished1.jpg

More photos to follow.

Really beautiful work.

What a great result. The boat looks fantastic Rod.
    I haven't got much further but the hog is attached and almost planed to shape. I tried splitting the aft end of the hog with my bandsaw but it all started to go horribly wrong, so I re-glued it and then used the table saw as you did. My next (nervous) step will be shaping transom and stem and starting on the garboard patterns.

Stunning work!