Thread: 3D printer

Default 3D printer

3D printers for hobbiests are well into the sub $300 market.
    How difficult to use is the software for a DYI hobby level person to learn and use?

Any experience?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: 3D printer

I don't know. I am guessing you first create a solid model 3D representation in a standard format, (possibly) using a variety of 3D solid modeling programs (Computer Aided Design,or CAD), and those packages have come down drastically in price in the past 25 years. Then export it to the printer which would have its own software (Computer Aided Machining, or CAM). You can also get canned CAD/CAM programs already done for specific parts.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

My company 3D prints parts all the time. It's just a matter of being able to draw in 3D...we use Autodesk Inventor. It exports the drawing (CAD) into a language that the printer can understand (CAM) and you just plug in your USB stick with the CAM on it into the printer...do the warm up protocol, clean everything and press the green button. You must then cure the part, cleaning all the way. It's really not hard after the first time.

I’m surprised these are so expensive.

C12750C6-AD99-4C0E-9D28-1C19F6112A6D.jpg

Jim, whaddya wanna print?

Question for the hive mind, are printed results restricted due to the printing medium to rendering patterns for casting, or are there mediums that allow fabricating, say, engine parts?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Question for the hive mind, are printed results restricted due to the printing medium to rendering patterns for casting, or are there mediums that allow fabricating, say, engine parts?
    Most cheap end printers print in plastic, poly-ethelene derivatives etc, although I have printed with ballistic grade nylon and a few other weird cross linked long chain polymer materials. Using printed items right out of the printer to make moulds for metal casting is a no go...they are not perfectly smooth on the outer surface, so will need polishing. I guess it depends how rough a surface on the cast metal you are willing to accept, but yes it is perfectly feasible to use 3D printed items as a basis for a bronze casting mould, but I would get busy on a fresh printed item with some filler and sand paper first. We are talking low end printers here.

Sintering, kind of micro printed additive welding, is also interesting because you can print directly in metal, but 20 billion micro welds will not make an equal strength metal item to one that was forged out of solid metal. It would be interesting to know displacement ratios between the two...sintered and 'ordinary' metal.

Plasmo (my favorite YouTube model maker) recently 3D printed an entire model kit and built it. He has a few videos on his channel about the machine and using it.

I could never get my head around the computer part, so they’re technology I’ll never use, but they are cool.

We’re almost to Star Trek...

Around 2015 I took a 3D printing class. I used Tinker Cad which is free and online to create a 3D model. In then converted it to STL. Then I printed it using ABS plastic. Later on I used Shapeways to have stuff printed in ABS and a form of stainless steel infused with bronze. They mailed it to me a few days after I sent in the .stl files. The abs plastic part was quite smooth.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

https://www.shapeways.com/
    Will

Countless, ready to process for 3d printing files, are available for free from sites such as Thingiverse or Thangs. These can be be printed after processing in a free slicer program. This is pretty simple. Creating your own models means learning and using 3d CAD software. This is a bit more advanced. Youtube will get you all of the instruction you will ever need.
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

Somebody 3D print me a million bucks?

I've done a few things using Tinkercad with success. It's a nice simple interface and exports to a format my slicer can turn into GCode for the Ender3. Also downloaded a bunch of stuff from Thingiverse and printed some toys for the kids. The hard part really is tuning the rig, getting the temperatures right, bed flat, speeds set. And when making your own stuff, making sure you the support frames are right. It takes a bit of trial and error. One trick I found that helped me a lot is blue painters tape on the print bed. Line up the edges so there's no overlap, and it makes the best surface I've had for PLA printing. Everything else stuck to the bed or wouldn't stick at all.

What's amazed me so far is that printing a 23mm design results in a 23mm part pretty reliably, and on both x/y axis. Z axis seems pretty close too, but I haven't done anything critical with that to know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Somebody 3D print me a million bucks?
    You can do that with a plain old ink jet. You only need a 3d printer if you're gonna do coins. $1 mil would be a lot of coins - hardly worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    You can do that with a plain old ink jet. You only need a 3d printer if you're gonna do coins. $1 mil would be a lot of coins - hardly worth the trouble.

WTf has this to do with male deer?

WTf has this to do with male deer?

Male deer? Stag???

Sorry!

Over my head!!!

I type nothing but nonsense.

Apologies for typing too much, today.

Away to productive things!

That whooshing sound was me whooshing away. I move so fast, I make whooshing sounds, like an old, poorly dubbed Kung Fu theater film.

I type nothing but nonsense.

Apologies for typing too much, today.

Away to productive things!

That whooshing sound was me whooshing away. I move so fast, I make whooshing sounds, like an old, poorly dubbed Kung Fu theater film.
    Quite alright. No need to apologize. I do the same thing!

I find that as I get older, my whooooooooooooooooshes get longer and longer.

my 12 yr old grandson has been using a low cost 3D printer for 3 years.

OH...........BUCKS............male deer.............I get it!

Stag/buck, what does a doe call her honey?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Most cheap end printers print in plastic, poly-ethelene derivatives etc, although I have printed with ballistic grade nylon and a few other weird cross linked long chain polymer materials. Using printed items right out of the printer to make moulds for metal casting is a no go...they are not perfectly smooth on the outer surface, so will need polishing. I guess it depends how rough a surface on the cast metal you are willing to accept, but yes it is perfectly feasible to use 3D printed items as a basis for a bronze casting mould, but I would get busy on a fresh printed item with some filler and sand paper first. We are talking low end printers here.

Sintering, kind of micro printed additive welding, is also interesting because you can print directly in metal, but 20 billion micro welds will not make an equal strength metal item to one that was forged out of solid metal. It would be interesting to know displacement ratios between the two...sintered and 'ordinary' metal.
    Well, it's good enough for gas turbine compressor blades, and is in fact the only way that some of them can be manufactured. So maybe not ultimately as strong as a forged part, but by no means weak.

Pete

F4A26ACA-541C-421D-82F3-83F9FFF96494.jpg

All of the models in the above picture have been 3D printed. It’s getting better every day...

Jeff C

I saw on the news last night where someone in Israel is trying to print a ribeye from I can't believe it's not meat.

3d printed house.

https://www.iconbuild.com/

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Anyone recommend a model for a 15 year old going lockdown crazy? I see some for $300 and such, but cheap is often just cheap. But maybe there's something decent in the $500 range...? Aussie that is.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Definitely not desktop nor inexpensive, but pretty cool nonetheless:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Printed.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Anyone recommend a model for a 15 year old going lockdown crazy? I see some for $300 and such, but cheap is often just cheap. But maybe there's something decent in the $500 range...? Aussie that is.

Creality Ender 3 Pro is a great beginner printer for a mechanically inclined individual. With some software tweeking, I printed a great looking model about 2 hours after opening the box. Youtube is chock full of how-tos and the internet is loaded with forums and user groups offering free help. I've spent double the original cost on upgrades to make it an EXTREMELY capable machine.

Creality has had some growing pains and several competitors for this niche of the market have appeared recently but I believe that more Ender 3s have been sold than any other printer so the user support base is bigger than any other 3d printer.

Whatever you do, make sure that your printer is open source unless you don't mind being locked into proprietary software and hardware for the sake of plug and play.