Thread: Which color should I paint my boat?

Default Which color should I paint my boat?

I'm just finishing a Dave Gentry Whitehall SOF design and have reached the movement of decision: which color should I paint it? I was thinking of a darker color so it wouldn't stand out so much when it's out of the water. I'm going to use a Rustoleum oil-based enamel and was going to go with a dark green called Hunter Green. Then I saw Sunrise Red, a darker red. Any thoughts on which might look better on the water, and with cedar trim? Just looking around the internet, I see more dark green and dark blue boats, not many dark red. Maybe there's a reason for that.
    Last edited by overland; 03-10-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Which color should I paint my boat?

Why not both. red&green.jpg

What colour scheme would you like.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Part of my decision would be, where am I going to use it?
    If it's in places where there are Motor boats I'd like a colour that stands out.. That would discount green or blue..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

No scheme, just one color. I hadn't thought about the question of visibility to other boats. I'll have to give that some thought.

Pink

I think the single colored strake as used in this example is very classy: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...70#post2933670 Maybe an off-white or ivory color overall to be visible but not glaring with just the port and starboard strakes in the highlight color of your choice?
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

I think it looks good with a darker colour on the rest of the hull and a white top strake for visibility.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. I wanted the color scheme to be simple, but a white strake for visibility makes sense.

Re-naming straits as necessary.

I looked over my wife's should a month or two ago, and she was writing an email entitled, Husband Agonizes Over Painting Boat, then Paints It Green. She then attached several photos of boats I have painted green. She's funny alright.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Red can look quite nice:

blackfly.jpg

Dave,

what boat is that in #11? It's gorgeous. A Coquina? Pretty close to the color I chose for my own boat, but just a touch greener. It's often hard to tell what color my boat IS, out on the water--depends so much on the light and clouds.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

For visibility, wear a brightly colored PFD. That color, higher then the boat itself, will be more visible then the boat itself.
    That frees you up to paint the boat any color you like.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

SW15(2).jpgI painted it red. Just red. But I could add a contrasting white stripe if that looks too pedestrian.

Nice job! It looks great! Which paint and color did you use?
    Last edited by Woody Jones; 03-22-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Somebody said, "There are only two colors to paint a boat. White or black, and who wants a black boat?"

There are quite a few wooden boats in the Salish Sea that have a beautiful sage green pastel that I don't recognize on the mainstream color charts. I have toned down colors by mixing them with white but don't have the skill to create a specific color.
    Any of you old salts know that color?
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

#11 is a beautiful shade of green, #12 looks blue to me. Since I am mildly red-green color blind they probably look different to most of you.

If you do put a white stripe on it, this is the classy way to do it.

-Dave

If boat registration numbers are planned the stripe should be able to accommodate them gracefully. Question, what is the term for the lovely s shaped ending of the above stripe?
    I like C-Dory's solution to accommodate the numbers. Or just pull the stripe far enough forward and apply white lettering.

6854222_20180926105139560_1_LARGE.jpg
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

That boat does illustrate a graceful way of accommodating the registration number. Moreover, Skerry, Dude reminds me of something important that I had forgotten. Right now, I'm an outlaw.
    He also raises a new color question. The numbers: black or white?

It’s been a while since I lived in Illinois but I’m pretty sure you don’t need registration numbers on a human powered craft. You don’t need a title on boats less than 22’ and I heard that there’s new rules for canoes and kayaks that you don’t need the registration tax sticker. I would double check but but it would be a shame to clutter up that beautiful hull if you don’t need too.

I was thinking of fitting it with a downwind sail. I suppose that would change the registration requirements.

I'd call that fancy stripe end an ogee, although it's not always done exactly like that. The history may go to sacrificial guards that were added to the top strake.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    For visibility, wear a brightly colored PFD. That color, higher then the boat itself, will be more visible then the boat itself.
    That frees you up to paint the boat any color you like.
    You raise a valid point. We have yellow Kokitat PFDs and paddle jackets, the kayak hulls are white with rich yellow decks. The sail-n-oar boat has a white hull and white sail. The carbon paddles could get safety orange or Saturn yellow blades (ugh). If I paint my Greenland paddle it will just be the tips in white.
    The real problem is if you are between the sun and an approaching boat you are invisible regardless of how well dressed you are.
    My potential next boat will say screw it and go for looks, not feel good safety measures.
    ♦ George Orwell

As above,
    If visibility to other vessels is a concern (as here), something to share from the bridge of a working boat where there is lots of small-boat oar and paddle traffic (especially toward dusk): Many times the only eye-catching part of a human powered boat at a distance is the oar or paddle blades. Bright colored blades are an excellent way to be seen, it seems that the quicker movement relative to the hull makes them the first thing noticed.
    Orange and yello are my favorites, while the cool-looking carbon fiber finished clear are the least visible, especially in low light.

Always a light colour on a wooden boat, surely? My father and I came up with a pale buff colour by adding a tube of umber to a can of white.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I kind of like kick butt sheer strakes, yellow or orange in fog country. Then matching diamonds on the oars.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Somebody said, "There are only two colors to paint a boat. White or black, and who wants a black boat?"
    New Zealand of course..
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.